Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bad times in Texas

Bad times in Texas

Old May 26th 2009, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Multiple posts from OP regarding how bad TX is

Originally Posted by ukintexas
There are lots of posts in different sections of the site today from the OP. I have responded responsibly and with respect to their others, but interestingly, I stumbled across this whilst reading another thread:

"Originally Posted by garrettciaran
I moved back in February this year (to the UK), and instantly regretted it, eight months later I am back in the United States."

I know our ideas change, but to be so against one place and then so against another - telling all who will listen not to go one way or the other - seems irresponsible, nearing antagonistic, on the part of the OP.

Ok, am off soapbox.
Interesting......
Old May 26th 2009, 7:31 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
Interesting......
A fair weather expat?
Old May 26th 2009, 7:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
A fair weather expat?
He's a ping ponger.
Old May 26th 2009, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad times in Texas

Originally Posted by garrettciaran
I was a semi-pro footballer, and I damaged my knee. Well, I had to take whatever job I could, and there was Wal-Mart. I tried my best to make it in the USA.
Sorry to hear you damaged your knee. Hope it is not too bad and that you settle back in the UK well.
Old May 26th 2009, 7:40 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
He's a ping ponger.
Manc had got me feeling a bit guilty, but I don't feel quite so bad about my early in this thread now.
Old May 26th 2009, 7:41 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Sorry to hear about you having a tough time.
My very first trip to the USA 10 years ago was a fully financed work trip to CA for three months. There was 20 people hired and sent over for training, thanks to the manufacturing boom in Ireland in the late 90’s

We were put up in really nice apartments with a pool, given a hire car and had expenses of about $500 a week to spend on what we wanted, as well as our salary paid at home. It was a fantastic summer, and naturally I was disgusted when I had to go back and ever since then I wanted to move to the US.

After some research It dawned on me that I was going to need a degree if I ever waned to move here, so at 23 I finally started a computer science degree, and realized that I could come over here on J1’s in my summers.

Of course my experience on my J1 summers was worlds apart from the fun of the original “all expenses paid” trip to CA.
I had a crappy job cleaning cars earning $10 an hour, I had to share a room as I could not afford the rent on my own, ended up having to work 50/60 hours a week. It was horrific. My second summer was not much better and If I am honest I bailed out about half way though. I was earning $7 an hour working 20 hours a week in a big store it was bad, I was broke from day one.

Luckily I managed to finish college and after giving up all hope of moving here finally got a CG, I was very thankful that I had a degree behind me as working in a low paid job over here is really no fun at all.

Personally If I had to choose between a low paid job here and one in Europe I would pick a low paid one in Europe, I think its better set up for a fairer society with welfare coverage and health coverage.

Thankfully as I attended university in Ireland after I moved there from the UK where I went to secondary school I did not have to pay (much) for my degree, about 500 euro a year in admin fees. If I did not have this then I am sure I would not have a job that for the most part I enjoy with a flexible employer, fairly good benefits, good health care cover and so on. I like it here, but my life is not that dissimilar to the one I left behind, especially as I am doing the exact same job here that I was doing at home.

I think that the tight restrictions on visas for the USA create a false demand for them; people can’t ordinarily get a visa which just makes them want one more. I bet if they ran an open working holiday visa system similar to OZ and Canada then people could try out living here and that might help to eliminate the notion that every one in the US loaded and lives in mansions. Of all my friends, about 30ish who did the working holiday visa to OZ, only 3 of them stayed there for good, most people enjoyed the experience but were glad to get home.

Its interesting to see the OP’s point of view though. I guess it does not work out for everyone that comes here.
Old May 27th 2009, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
This would no longer be legal in the UK:

"From 1 April 2009 all workers have a statutory right to at least 5.6 weeks’ paid annual leave (that is at least 28 days' paid holiday if you work five days a week). Your employer could choose to include bank holidays in the 5.6 weeks."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ys/DG_10029788

I wonder how many of the US wannabies are aware of vacation entitlement (or the lack of it) in the US, or have even heard of 'at will' and what it means...
All well and good, until you realize you have to book a whole year's leave off at the beginning of the year, or you don't get it. I've had it happen to me and to my husband's aunt who could not attend our wedding 10 years ago because it wasn't a pre-booked holiday. She still works for Tesco and its still the same policy. Same thing for my mil who is a nurse.....she has to book a whole year in advance.

Nothing is ever perfect and there is no land of milk and honey......
Old May 27th 2009, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukintexas
There are lots of posts in different sections of the site today from the OP. I have responded responsibly and with respect to their others, but interestingly, I stumbled across this whilst reading another thread:

"Originally Posted by garrettciaran
I moved back in February this year (to the UK), and instantly regretted it, eight months later I am back in the United States."

I know our ideas change, but to be so against one place and then so against another - telling all who will listen not to go one way or the other - seems irresponsible, nearing antagonistic, on the part of the OP.

Ok, am off soapbox.
Could it be a <gasp, shock, horror>troll to stir the pot?
Old May 27th 2009, 12:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
All well and good, until you realize you have to book a whole year's leave off at the beginning of the year, or you don't get it. I've had it happen to me and to my husband's aunt who could not attend our wedding 10 years ago because it wasn't a pre-booked holiday. She still works for Tesco and its still the same policy. Same thing for my mil who is a nurse.....she has to book a whole year in advance.

Nothing is ever perfect and there is no land of milk and honey......
The only time I've heard of that is when someone hasn't used their annual holidays and they have to use them by a certain date (usually early in the following year) or lose them.

Maybe it was an excuse 'cos they didn't want to go to your wedding.
Old May 27th 2009, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The only time I've heard of that is when someone hasn't used their annual holidays and they have to use them by a certain date (usually early in the following year) or lose them.

Maybe it was an excuse 'cos they didn't want to go to your wedding.
haha JG.... It happens and I'm sure a lot more then you'd ever know. How nice for someone to hand you all those lovely weeks of holiday and then tell you to schedule them or not have the chance to use them.....
Old May 27th 2009, 12:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

haha JG.... It happens and I'm sure a lot more then you'd ever know. How nice for someone to hand you all those lovely weeks of holiday and then tell you to schedule them or not have the chance to use them.....
I know some companies require employees to take some of their holidays at certain times but I've never heard of a company requiring an employee to take all their holidays at the start of the year...especially 4 weeks or more.
Old May 27th 2009, 12:43 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I know some companies require employees to take some of their holidays at certain times but I've never heard of a company requiring an employee to take all their holidays at the start of the year...especially 4 weeks or more.
The infamous 'use it or lose it' policy.
It *sucks*.

One of our part time gals just quit her dream job because the employer completely abused this, with a twist. She earned the vacation time. She asked to use it and was always turned down for one (?) reasonable reason or another. This year, after 4 years of NO holidays, she told them about a dream opportunity she had and she would be using her accrued vacation to go pursue it. They said 'no'. She said, OK, I will go on my own dime. They told her she could not leave work.
Four years of building their business to international acclaim, and they weasel over a month off in the off season? Fi!
It's definitely our gain, and I know of several incidents with this employer-- I interviewed with them once, so I believe every word. I think they wanted my right arm as a deposit on the job.

I hate it when companies get away with that stuff.
Old May 27th 2009, 12:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by meauxna
It *sucks*.

One of our part time gals just quit her dream job because the employer completely abused this, with a twist. She earned the vacation time. She asked to use it and was always turned down for one (?) reasonable reason or another. This year, after 4 years of NO holidays, she told them about a dream opportunity she had and she would be using her accrued vacation to go pursue it. They said 'no'. She said, OK, I will go on my own dime. They told her she could not leave work.
Four years of building their business to international acclaim, and they weasel over a month off in the off season? Fi!
It's definitely our gain, and I know of several incidents with this employer-- I interviewed with them once, so I believe every word. I think they wanted my right arm as a deposit on the job.

I can believe that of an US company but Amerlisa was refering to a UK company.
Old May 27th 2009, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by meauxna
It *sucks*.

JG is right, it was in the UK.....and of course it does happen. That's why I know my mil is coming in July and she's going to visit her daughter in New Zealand in November. But I know that Sainsburys, Tescos do. And when I briefly worked at a NatWest call centre, they wanted to do this as well. All well and good if you know what you're doing for the whole year. I'm lucky if I can plan next weekend.
Old May 27th 2009, 1:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I can believe that of an US company but Amerlisa was refering to a UK company.
Oh.

Well don't spoil a good rant. I was just getting warmed up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.