Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bad times in Texas

Bad times in Texas

Old May 26th 2009, 5:10 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad times in Texas

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I think that people (both those who are successful here and those who are not) need to get it through their heads once and for all ...

THERE IS NO SOCIAL SAFETY NET IN THE STATES. PERIOD.

Nobody ever said there was one. No immigrant was ever promised one. No American was ever promised one. It does not exist.
But what if we want one and ask reeeeeeeeeeeally nicely??
Nicely put btw.
Old May 26th 2009, 5:14 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
and regarding working a year to get time off - some comapnies in the UK are the same - like Marks and Spencer. You accrue holiday in arrears there - so have to work a year to get holiday entitlement the next year (although its likely more generaous entitlement anyway). At least this was true the two times i worked for them.
This would no longer be legal in the UK:

"From 1 April 2009 all workers have a statutory right to at least 5.6 weeks’ paid annual leave (that is at least 28 days' paid holiday if you work five days a week). Your employer could choose to include bank holidays in the 5.6 weeks."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ys/DG_10029788

I wonder how many of the US wannabies are aware of vacation entitlement (or the lack of it) in the US, or have even heard of 'at will' and what it means...
Old May 26th 2009, 5:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
This would no longer be legal in the UK:

"From 1 April 2009 all workers have a statutory right to at least 5.6 weeks’ paid annual leave (that is at least 28 days' paid holiday if you work five days a week). Your employer could choose to include bank holidays in the 5.6 weeks."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...ys/DG_10029788

I wonder how many of the US wannabies are aware of vacation entitlement (or the lack of it) in the US, or have even heard of 'at will' and what it means...
Those people should not then complain about the cost of goods & services in the UK. Someone has to pay for all that time off.
You work for yourself sometimes, don't you E? No work, no pay around here. I have to budget it like any other expense.
Old May 26th 2009, 5:28 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Those people should not then complain about the cost of goods & services in the UK. Someone has to pay for all that time off.
You work for yourself sometimes, don't you E? No work, no pay around here. I have to budget it like any other expense.
Firstly: you do realise that I have an Honorary Doctorate in Woodoo and use my skills on anyone who calls me....... E...

I do indeed work for myself. Which I would not be able to do if I was not married to a man with a secure job that comes with medical benefits and the like.

I know many women who work quite menial jobs - even though they don't *need* the money - simply and solely because their husbands are self-employed and they need the healthcare for their families that comes with employment by a company that offers said benefits.

It might be worth noting that the latter have been getting more scarce over recent years.
Old May 26th 2009, 5:59 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies for the name abbreviation.
Old May 26th 2009, 6:02 pm
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Elvira
not heard that expression before, love it!
Old May 26th 2009, 6:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srah
not heard that expression before, love it!
That's one of Elviras favourite words. It harks back to the days when she was one of The Spice Girls.....
Old May 26th 2009, 6:15 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
That's one of Elviras favourite words. It harks back to the days when she was one of The Spice Girls.....
Indeed........ here's me singing my signature tune...
Old May 26th 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey don't pick on Texas As others have said this post could apply to almost anywhere in the US...you think TX is in a bad way, go and ask some of my car worker friends up in Detroit

To the OP...sorry you have fallen on bad times and I hope things work out for you. Hopefully this post will help people who are thinking of coming over.
Old May 26th 2009, 6:56 pm
Just Joined

twen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am new here, and currently living in Houston Texas. I have beento visit Huntsville....never again! it is very poor and rundown, sonot surprised you found it hard to make a livng there.

Been in Houston now since 2007, we are heading back home next week to London for our first renewal.

Yes things can be more expensive here than back home and you do have to drive everywhere, but all in all I love Houston and yes the weather, although on high humidity days it can take its toll....that's why there is AC!

Wendy
Old May 26th 2009, 7:00 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukintexas
But what if we want one and ask reeeeeeeeeeeally nicely??
Nicely put btw.
Speaking as a native Texan I have wanted a safety net all my life.

If we don't get at least a gossamer one with Obama, I don't know what I'll do.
Old May 26th 2009, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twen
Hi,

I am new here, and currently living in Houston Texas. I have beento visit Huntsville....never again! it is very poor and rundown, sonot surprised you found it hard to make a livng there.

Been in Houston now since 2007, we are heading back home next week to London for our first renewal.

Yes things can be more expensive here than back home and you do have to drive everywhere, but all in all I love Houston and yes the weather, although on high humidity days it can take its toll....that's why there is AC!

Wendy
hi and welcome to BE
Glad you're enjoying Houston..I love it here in Texas, but my story is very different from the OP's and I consider myself very fortunate.
Old May 26th 2009, 7:12 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Multiple posts from OP regarding how bad TX is

There are lots of posts in different sections of the site today from the OP. I have responded responsibly and with respect to their others, but interestingly, I stumbled across this whilst reading another thread:

"Originally Posted by garrettciaran
I moved back in February this year (to the UK), and instantly regretted it, eight months later I am back in the United States."

I know our ideas change, but to be so against one place and then so against another - telling all who will listen not to go one way or the other - seems irresponsible, nearing antagonistic, on the part of the OP.

Ok, am off soapbox.
Old May 26th 2009, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

twen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Where in toasty Texas do you live?

My attitude is this - if you choose to live in a foreign country then you have to adapt to the ways of that country....and that is exactly what we had to do here, it was a big adjustment for us and we found it hard in the beginning as things run very very slowly here, there is no rush and completing paperwork for anything is frustrating, but this is their system and we have adapted.

Wendy
Old May 26th 2009, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by twen
Hi

Where in toasty Texas do you live?

My attitude is this - if you choose to live in a foreign country then you have to adapt to the ways of that country....and that is exactly what we had to do here, it was a big adjustment for us and we found it hard in the beginning as things run very very slowly here, there is no rush and completing paperwork for anything is frustrating, but this is their system and we have adapted.

Wendy
Hi
I'm just west of Fort Worth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.