Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bad times in Texas

Bad times in Texas

Old May 29th 2009, 1:43 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad times in Texas

the sick bank doesnt really apply to jobs ive had in the UK (ive never even heard of the concept before this thread). My last job gave me 3 months sick pay in a rolling 12 months period - after something like 6 months eligibility. I may have used 1 or 2 days a year max so i always had plenty - and unless you had something 'dire' then 3 months was usually enough. And after 3 months (which grew in amount with years service) the company had discretion to continue to pay or not.

I actually managed a woman who burned through her 3 months worth in dribs and drabs - ie she didnt have a serious illness in one hit - she had odd days off all the time. We declined to pay her any more sick pay when she hit her 3 months limit as it was felt she not sick a lot of the time - and was using it for child care, days out, waiting in for contractors, duvet days etc. She had to take unpaid sick days until she hit a point where she had taken less than 90 days in the previous 12 months. Ive never heard of other employees hitting their limit except in a case like a serious illness where the company decided to keep paying.
Old May 29th 2009, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
You might add to that, the self employed small business owner. Who's going to pay them when they get sick?
the giant sick pay fairy....
Old May 29th 2009, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I actually don't get a set amount of sick time. As a salaried employee, I get 3 weeks vacay, and that's it.
Don't you mean PTO then ? PTO is a combo of 'vacation' and 'sick'. My company converted from vacation+sick (2+2 weeks) over to 3 weeks PTO; the idea being, you get 3 'guaranteed' weeks rather than two 'guaranteed' and 2 'only if sick'. For me, having only taken a handful of 'sick' days in my life, the 3 weeks 'guaranteed' PTO is a plus.
Vacay does not roll over to the next year, so if I don't use it, I lose it. . ...
FYI, that is not legal in California. My company (CA based) was just taken over by an AZ based company and this was a big discussion topic- the AZ head office has a 'use it or lose it' policy, requiring you to use all your vacation by year end, but they could not impose that on us. CA also has a pretty high 'SDI' tax (state disability insurance, I believe) that provides the short term disability coverage lacking in other states. I mention this mainly because some of the earlier chatter in this thread was about how Texas was no different from the rest of the country; CA has several "employee friendly" laws.
Old May 29th 2009, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Don't you mean PTO then ? PTO is a combo of 'vacation' and 'sick'. My company converted from vacation+sick (2+2 weeks) over to 3 weeks PTO; the idea being, you get 3 'guaranteed' weeks rather than two 'guaranteed' and 2 'only if sick'. For me, having only taken a handful of 'sick' days in my life, the 3 weeks 'guaranteed' PTO is a plus.
Nope, it is not PTO, it is for vacation only. If I request time off for a doctor's appt, or get my license renewed, etc that is personal time not vacation. I've never been told a limit on how many personal hours I'm allowed. Since I'm salary, that's one of the supposed 'benefits' because my hours can be somewhat flexible. But I don't view it as such because the extra time that I put in all the time does not give me any additional compensation, and all the extra time I already put in does not go towards any personal time. So, tbh, being salaried really bites ass.

So right now, I have no more vacay (because the company forced us to take a week, after we had already planned a 2 week holiday), but I can still use personal time for doctor's appts and what not. But asking for personal is seen in a pretty negative light at my co & I hate asking for it. Perhaps there is a limit on personal time, and I've just never been told (since HR is not so good at communication anymore).
Old May 29th 2009, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Someone who wanted to have a rational debate about UK company sick policy (and its purported "invasion of privacy") versus that of US companies would. I guess you don't fall into that category. Oh well.
There is no debate over what I experienced and its invasion of my privacy. Its not a here versus there debate. Do you need it to always be that way? Also, the fact that you can't accept it as an invasion of someone's privacy is your problem.
Old May 29th 2009, 5:08 am
Banned

srah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to allsrah is a name known to all

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
There is no debate over what I experienced and its invasion of my privacy. Its not a here versus there debate. Do you need it to always be that way? Also, the fact that you can't accept it as an invasion of someone's privacy is your problem.
Old May 29th 2009, 5:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Very convincing argument! Not.

Is it also an invasion of one's privacy that you are required to allow a doctor to release information to an insurer on your illness if you wish the insurer to pay for the cost of seeing the doctor? Or should the insurer just pay the bill regardless?
Old May 29th 2009, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

the giant sick pay fairy....
I think the giant sick pay fairy is too busy paying sick pay to people who think it's an invasion of privacy to be questioned about their illness.
Old May 29th 2009, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, it is not PTO, it is for vacation only. If I request time off for a doctor's appt, or get my license renewed, etc that is personal time not vacation. I've never been told a limit on how many personal hours I'm allowed. Since I'm salary, that's one of the supposed 'benefits' because my hours can be somewhat flexible. But I don't view it as such because the extra time that I put in all the time does not give me any additional compensation, and all the extra time I already put in does not go towards any personal time. So, tbh, being salaried really bites ass.

So right now, I have no more vacay (because the company forced us to take a week, after we had already planned a 2 week holiday), but I can still use personal time for doctor's appts and what not. But asking for personal is seen in a pretty negative light at my co & I hate asking for it. Perhaps there is a limit on personal time, and I've just never been told (since HR is not so good at communication anymore).
I think you are on a PTO plan but it hasn't been explained to you properly yet!

I've been salaried for the last 25 years here, and have always had either 'vacation+sick' (typically starting at 2+2), or 'PTO' (personal time off) which is typically 3 weeks. In both cases, I get the 'personal time' that you describe over and above the rest - typically expected to be used for 1-4 hours here and there.

Even if they don't call it PTO, if they don't have a separate plan for 'sick', then it is PTO by definition.
Old May 29th 2009, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Very convincing argument! Not.

Is it also an invasion of one's privacy that you are required to allow a doctor to release information to an insurer on your illness if you wish the insurer to pay for the cost of seeing the doctor? Or should the insurer just pay the bill regardless?
Why must you go further with the original point?
Old May 29th 2009, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think the giant sick pay fairy is too busy paying sick pay to people who think it's an invasion of privacy to be questioned about their illness.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think the problem with this in the UK is often who's doing the asking. If I were off sick (luckily haven't had a day off sick in years) I would have to fill in a self-report form with details of the illness and hand it to the two gossipy office workers to keep on file. The UK is so up its own *rse with regulations these days, but when it comes down to it, the actual execution of policies and procedures is laughable.

I even had to state in my job application form how many days I'd had off sick in the past two years and for what reason (in my case, I said "None"). Again, knowing that the application form isn't exactly kept confidential, I find this an unacceptable invasion of privacy.
I currently work as a Civil Servant in the UK and if I have any time off ill I have to complete a sickness form and have a "back to work interview" where I am asked, in a totally non condescending way of course, how I am feeling and if I am sure I am ready to be back at work. If I were to have more than 10 days sick in a year then I would be referred to a work doctor to see if there was any 'underlying' cause for my illness. I have had a grand total of 6 days sick in the nearly 10 years I have worked for HMCS and last time I had half a day off sick I was made to feel so guilty for taking the time off when I had my back to work interview. I will admit I am looking forward to being on a H4 visa and not having to deal with that kind of thing for a while!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:02 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

At an old job, the boss asked a coworker of mine about his use of sick leave. The employee pointed out that he used less sick time than the boss. The boss stated "I have kids, and kids get sick". The employee responded with "you can't hold that against me, I don't even know your wife".

Another boss who often busted employee's chops about sick leave fell off of a ladder at his home and ended up in the hospital. He had to take a couple days and then drag his battered and bruised body into work while still in a sling and a cane.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:13 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahG1976
I currently work as a Civil Servant in the UK and if I have any time off ill I have to complete a sickness form and have a "back to work interview" where I am asked, in a totally non condescending way of course, how I am feeling and if I am sure I am ready to be back at work. If I were to have more than 10 days sick in a year then I would be referred to a work doctor to see if there was any 'underlying' cause for my illness. I have had a grand total of 6 days sick in the nearly 10 years I have worked for HMCS and last time I had half a day off sick I was made to feel so guilty for taking the time off when I had my back to work interview. I will admit I am looking forward to being on a H4 visa and not having to deal with that kind of thing for a while!
That's odd. I was a Civil Servant up until my move 2 years ago and if I had time off sick all I did was put in an adjustment for the flexi system so it didn't say I was 7 hours 24 minutes down for that day. There were no interviews for me, guess it depends on what part you work for.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
That's odd. I was a Civil Servant up until my move 2 years ago and if I had time off sick all I did was put in an adjustment for the flexi system so it didn't say I was 7 hours 24 minutes down for that day. There were no interviews for me, guess it depends on what part you work for.
We only started using flexi system last year! I work for Courts Service unfortunately but I am counting down the days till I can leave!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.