Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Bad times in Texas

Bad times in Texas

Old May 28th 2009, 11:36 pm
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bad times in Texas

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm not. I pointed out that the reason English employers are more inquisitive about absences through sickness is that, unlike their American counterparts, they typically don't restrict their employees to a paltry number of sick days per year. Given their larger exposure to having to pay employees whilst they are sick, it is perfectly reasonable to ask whether you also consider an insurance company asking for evidence of one's disability - particularly a short-term disability, where an employer in the UK is often financially on the hook for - is also an invasion of privacy.
The interviews were created solely for the purpose of making people think twice before succumbing to taking a day off when they felt a little low, rather than actually unwell. The interview is designed to be a psychological tool to control employees behaviour. Amerlisa's reaction is absolutely typical of anyone who has been "interviewed" - they are pissed off at having to explain why and what. It has been sold to managers as a tool to help employees deal with ill health. Both the managers and the HR departments know full well that it is just a way to intimidate people into coming into work.

This has bugger all to do with disability and why you should compare it to it is a mystery.
Old May 28th 2009, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate2112
The interviews were created solely for the purpose of making people think twice before succumbing to taking a day off when they felt a little low, rather than actually unwell. The interview is designed to be a psychological tool to control employees behaviour. Amerlisa's reaction is absolutely typical of anyone who has been "interviewed" - they are pissed off at having to explain why and what. It has been sold to managers as a tool to help employees deal with ill health. Both the managers and the HR departments know full well that it is just a way to intimidate people into coming into work.

This has bugger all to do with disability and why you should compare it to it is a mystery.
Exactly!
Old May 29th 2009, 12:18 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

aka 'mental health' days.

:nods:
Old May 29th 2009, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The interviews were created solely for the purpose of making people think twice before succumbing to taking a day off when they felt a little low, rather than actually unwell. The interview is designed to be a psychological tool to control employees behaviour.
Whereas limiting people to a paltry amount of sick days isn't? Riiight.

One more time... as UK employers typically don't limit people to a paltry amount of sick days, they are often on the hook for paying people in situations where in the US people would go on short-term disability (or go without pay). So it is perfectly reasonable to equate the two situations given their economic equivalence.

And here's another side of the problem in the US:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...ave/?uniontrib

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 29th 2009 at 12:27 am.
Old May 29th 2009, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

One more time... as UK employers typically don't limit people to a paltry amount of sick days, they are often on the hook for paying people in situations where in the US people would go on short-term disability (or go without pay). So it is perfectly reasonable to equate the two situations given their economic equivalence.
No it isn't. I'm talking one day, not short term/long term disability here. You're taking it further then it was ever intended.

On the other hand, anal retentive could be a very good descriptive term....if one were using it.
Old May 29th 2009, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Whereas limiting people to a paltry amount of sick days isn't? Riiight.

And here's another side of the problem in the US:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...ave/?uniontrib
It can't be so bad though can it?
Old May 29th 2009, 12:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
No it isn't. I'm talking one day, not short term/long term disability here. You're taking it further then it was ever intended.
If thery didn't apply the policy evenly to all illness absences, they'd leave themselves wide open to charges of being discriminatory against sicker employees.

On the other hand, anal retentive could be a very good descriptive term....if one were using it.
Insults never make a rational argument.
Old May 29th 2009, 12:53 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I'll let you all in on a little secret...

Unless you're really messed up and in an iron lung or something, long term disability insurance is a scam.

You say: Hey Mr. Insurance Man, I have 20 doctors that say I'm disabled and can't work. Please pay me.

Insurance company says: "Yeh..... about that..... you seem okay to work to us... thanks for all of the premiums you paid now why don't you just STFU and GFY."

I'm not too fond of contributing to the sick bank. I know it's probably good karma to contribute, but I don't trust the way they distribute it. Too many people take a sickie to go golfing and then when they are really ill, they hit up the sick bank. One person hit the sick bank for maternity leave. "Complications" she says. She didn't have a lot of leave to begin with and *decided* to have a child. I'll take a pass on donating to that one.
Old May 29th 2009, 12:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by surly
It can't be so bad though can it?
I can well believe this bit from the article:

Those least likely to have sick leave are low-income workers, particularly in fields such as food services, child care and the hotel industry – in other words, the people you most want to be staying home if they're sick.
Now that's what I call an invasion of privacy... having one's food prepared and one's children looked after by someone who's sick.

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 29th 2009 at 1:02 am.
Old May 29th 2009, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I completely disagree.
Old May 29th 2009, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If thery didn't apply the policy evenly to all illness absences, they'd leave themselves wide open to charges of being discriminatory against sicker employees.

Insults never make a rational argument.
Who's insulting? I'm stating fact. You're going further then one sick day and Kate's very apt description of the "re-entry interview" and what it is designed to do.
Old May 29th 2009, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Who's insulting? I'm stating fact. You're going further then one sick day and Kate's very apt description of the "re-entry interview" and what it is designed to do.
Non-responsive as to my point on the need for non discriminatory sick policies or the financial obligations of UK employers for sick pay as opposed to their US counterparts... oh well.
Old May 29th 2009, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Non-responsive as to my point on the need for non discriminatory sick policies or the financial obligations of UK employers for sick pay as opposed to their US counterparts... oh well.
Why would I care?
Old May 29th 2009, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

I can well believe this bit from the article:

Quote:
Those least likely to have sick leave are low-income workers, particularly in fields such as food services, child care and the hotel industry – in other words, the people you most want to be staying home if they're sick.
You might add to that, the self employed small business owner. Who's going to pay them when they get sick?
Old May 29th 2009, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why would I care?
Someone who wanted to have a rational debate about UK company sick policy (and its purported "invasion of privacy") versus that of US companies would. I guess you don't fall into that category. Oh well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.