Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Australia voted 2nd best in world for quality of life

Australia voted 2nd best in world for quality of life

Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Australia voted 2nd best in world for quality of life

Originally Posted by northernbird
You have a very short memory Sherro.
it was joke, I completely understand the misery and pain of moving form one country to the next, and movingback, hence why I thought I could write such cra* as a larf.

Come on people, lets not take it all too seriously. I mean, seriously have you been to Norway in winter, I have brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Facts and figures mean nothing if you're happy.

And if you are so happy in OZ, why do you have to search for these facts and figures anyway lol...
I didnt, it was being banded around the Australia thread by smug expats, I thought it wouldbe funny to post it in here.

Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its a shame some people have nothing better to do than to wind up people who are less happy than themselves.
Pollyanna, i am sure that 99.9% of the people within these forums are smart enough and have the britishness of taking humour good and bad to work out I was not doing anything other than just having a laugh. We all know these polls are not worth the paper they are written on.

And if you are on the subject of "people with nothing better to do" with 33, 000 odd posts under your belt I cant even begin to imagine how much time you spend on these boards, dont you have anyhting better to do?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
http://www.theage.com.au/national/au...1005-gjej.html

So you guys like need to take a good look at yourselves before like, running away from yourselves and like, moving back home, britain is 21 behind Malawi, Zimbabwe and Uzbekistan.

make an effort people, stop moaning about the weather and lack of friends and realise you are in the best country in the world if you are in Australia, well OK, second best, but Norway is tough to beat, after .

hahahahahahah just kidding people, bit of a wind up.

How can Norway be best, isnt it dark for 6 months a year?

This is an interesting report. If Norway were in the EU Australia would be No. 1 as well, so that's worth keeping in mind (clever Norwegians!). What interested me most was that NZ has finally overtaken the UK.

Looking at the long-term economic forecast I can see the UK easily dropping another 5 or 6 places down to maybe 25 or 26, and no one should be surprised by that - anyone seen what the Tories are going to do with spending???

Go Aussie go - it deserves it.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 1:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyanna, i am sure that 99.9% of the people within these forums are smart enough and have the britishness of taking humour good and bad to work out I was not doing anything other than just having a laugh. We all know these polls are not worth the paper they are written on.

And if you are on the subject of "people with nothing better to do" with 33, 000 odd posts under your belt I cant even begin to imagine how much time you spend on these boards, dont you have anyhting better to do?
Nope, I'm a homesick crotchety old witch,what else could I possibly have to do with my time?

Besides I'm a Mod which means I'm supposed to weed out (and can delete) threads which are specifically done just to wind people up
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
France not with all those frogs legs.

Hahaha...

But why do those who are very happy in OZ spend their time looking for surveys to prove they chose the best place to live, weirdo's

Shouldn't they be on the beach or summat, showing their hairy bits.
"Shouldn't they be on the beach or summat, showing their hairy bits"......lol...and that's just the women.......
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt, it was being banded around the Australia thread by smug expats, I thought it wouldbe funny to post it in here.

I was one of the first ones to read your thread but did not reply because I was not too sure (1) if you were winding people up and (2) not sure how to reply because by then I had heard it on every radio station I kept flicking on to.....on every news channel....and then also it the West Aus....so I came on here for a bit of P & Q....when I read your thread...well I could of criedlol....sometimes the brain washing just gets a little "too much" for me...lol...and I am being polite!!!...needless to say today is another day and they are still flogging this bit of info.....needless to say it's ipod, ipod for me for the next few days...what am I on about..this will keep popping up for years...lol....
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I dunno, Australia amongst the highest suicide rates in the world - and the figures that are usually quoted are estimated to be around 30% lower than the actual figures according to some recent reports. Youth suicide and mental health problems here are very bad but of course no one publicises that as there is a bit of an embargo on talking about suicide. I guess our youth suicide stats have improved over the past 5 years but still nothing to write home about.
Both Canada and the United States have higher suicide rates than Australia, just to put your statement into some context. Going back to the subject, this is a big drop for Britain becuause this is the first time since the UN started doing the index that it has dropped out of the top 20. In 1990 it was 10th, and even after nine years of Labour destruction it was 16th. To drop out of the top 20 is pretty embarrassing - and as I pointed out earlier - it will not climb any higher now. It's on a one way street as is all the West.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hereandthere
This is an interesting report. If Norway were in the EU Australia would be No. 1 as well, so that's worth keeping in mind (clever Norwegians!). What interested me most was that NZ has finally overtaken the UK.

Looking at the long-term economic forecast I can see the UK easily dropping another 5 or 6 places down to maybe 25 or 26, and no one should be surprised by that - anyone seen what the Tories are going to do with spending???

Go Aussie go - it deserves it.
Really who cares......you can go on and on about this...a bit like "best beaches in the world..claim etc" but if someone thinks life is better elsewhere or beaches are better in other countries well that's all that counts.......and I really do think this is excellent P.R for Aus..........just as my Dad always says...."you cannot believe all you read"....and that is so true.......as an Aussie friend of mine told her friends they are going to retire to Panang...her friends say she is mad to leave "gods own"...etc....what did my Aussie friend reply to them?...."how can you say that when you have never been outside the State you live in"..she does say this arrogance drives her nuts.....needless to say my friend leaves for her new life early next year and good look to her.....
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brits1
I was one of the first ones to read your thread but did not reply because I was not too sure (1) if you were winding people up and (2) not sure how to reply because by then I had heard it on every radio station I kept flicking on to.....on every news channel....and then also it the West Aus....so I came on here for a bit of P & Q....when I read your thread...well I could of criedlol....sometimes the brain washing just gets a little "too much" for me...lol...and I am being polite!!!...needless to say today is another day and they are still flogging this bit of info.....needless to say it's ipod, ipod for me for the next few days...what am I on about..this will keep popping up for years...lol....
One imagines with mirth the reaction the British media would have - especially the newspapers if Britain was ranked the second best place to live in by the UN. It would go on for weeks - but Australians are not allowed to talk about it of course. Australia can achieve second best status in a serious and difficult index but it's not allowed to mention it. This is where the whole Pommy Whinger thing pops into glorious Technicolor.

It's not about "beaches", but health and education and life expectancy and economic soundness. It's serious stuff, and British people should be seriously focusing on why their country is so far down the list - instead - typically British - they choose to slag off all the countries that beat them. No wonder you're going down and down and down.

Last edited by hereandthere; Oct 7th 2009 at 2:30 am.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Really who cares......you can go on and on about this...a bit like "best beaches in the world..claim etc" but if someone thinks life is better elsewhere or beaches are better in other countries well that's all that counts.......and I really do think this is excellent P.R for Aus..........just as my Dad always says...."you cannot believe all you read"....and that is so true.......as an Aussie friend of mine told her friends they are going to retire to Panang...her friends say she is mad to leave "gods own"...etc....what did my Aussie friend reply to them?...."how can you say that when you have never been outside the State you live in"..she does say this arrogance drives her nuts.....needless to say my friend leaves for her new life early next year and good look to her.....
I hope your friend is au fait with the increasingly militant Islam that it slowly encroaching Penang - aka -"she'll be back".
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

I hope your friend is au fait with the increasingly militant Islam that it slowly encroaching Penang - aka -"she'll be back".
Acutally she is a Muslim....and the arrogance to suggest "shell be back"...just really says it all...no wonder she wants to leave her birth place....and it is not just about beaches etc...that was just the usual come back you have from peoples who have never been over seas or their only argument is the beaches and the weather....your right it is much,much more than that....that's a big reason why lot's of people don't think Australia is for them....and as someone on the Australia forum said...."does not matter where,what or who comes first in any pole its what matters to you that counts"....and I think that is a very fair and valid point......it's "Freedom of Speech and Thought".......a wonderful thing....
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Acutally she is a Muslim....and the arrogance to suggest "shell be back"...just really says it all...no wonder she wants to leave her birth place....and it is not just about beaches etc...that was just the usual come back you have from peoples who have never been over seas or their only argument is the beaches and the weather....your right it is much,much more than that....that's a big reason why lot's of people don't think Australia is for them....and as someone on the Australia forum said...."does not matter where,what or who comes first in any pole its what matters to you that counts"....and I think that is a very fair and valid point......it's "Freedom of Speech and Thought".......a wonderful thing....
Whoops......"She'll"......spelling mistake....
Old Oct 7th 2009, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Looks like you're dabbling in a spot of prejudice of your own there because you know nothing about my background or where I have lived over the years. Also you dodge all the salient points about Britain's derisory and worsening performance in the UN HDI.

I can see no recommendation to live in a country where non-Muslims are feeling increasingly uncomfortable and discriminated against, which is the case in Malaysia and also Indonesia. In Australia people can get on whatever their faith - unlike a lot of other countries. Try owning some land in Thailand as a farang and see how far you get.

In my view Malaysia is slowly sliding into the Dark Ages and turning its back on what could have been a radiant future. I genuinely believe Malaysia was on course to be one of the most wealthy and liveable countries in the world, but its Islamification will put a sound stop to all that. It currently resides at No. 66 in the UN HDI and Indonesia at No. 111.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Looks like you're dabbling in a spot of prejudice of your own there because you know nothing about my background or where I have lived over the years. Also you dodge all the salient points about Britain's derisory and worsening performance in the UN HDI.

I can see no recommendation to live in a country where non-Muslims are feeling increasingly uncomfortable and discriminated against, which is the case in Malaysia and also Indonesia. In Australia people can get on whatever their faith - unlike a lot of other countries. Try owning some land in Thailand as a farang and see how far you get.

In my view Malaysia is slowly sliding into the Dark Ages and turning its back on what could have been a radiant future. I genuinely believe Malaysia was on course to be one of the most wealthy and liveable countries in the world, but its Islamification will put a sound stop to all that. It currently resides at No. 66 in the UN HDI and Indonesia at No. 111.
I "judge a book not by the cover"...never have never will...this is not about you...or I...but about the fact that a certain country might be voted the most wonderful,excellent country in the world by facts and figures but if your not happy in that certain country then those facts and figures will mean zilch...nothing....we have friends who live on a fairly remote Island...were hardly any crime happens....suicides etc...but life is very hard especially in winter.... they love it there...but for others they have come and gone...just does not suit......even if it were rammed down their throats about facts and figures...they still leave....if you do not like they way of life etc or for whatever reasons these statics mean "not a thing"......We have spent the last Christmasses in Malaysia and have had a wonderful time there...Malasians seem very resectful of the Christian festivals...were going again this year......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.