Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Australia voted 2nd best in world for quality of life

Australia voted 2nd best in world for quality of life

Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:03 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia voted 2nd best in world for quality of life

Originally Posted by elfman
Question: why do all the countries that rank higher than the UK for "quality of life" have higher suicide rates (in some cases much higher) than the UK?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_rates
A quick opinion would suggest that people in eastern Europe and Scandinavia are more likely to commit suicide than someone from either western or southern Europe. In western Europe there is more diversity with exciting things to do. In southern Europe there is a sunny climate and a stronger family unit, things that the north and east have less of. One could even suggest, that when a country is economically poor but the climate and family unit are strong (Most latin amercan countries) then the rates are much lower as well. In fact most of the countries on the list, excepting those of eastern Europe, are economically strong countries like Japan where people spend most of their time working and have little free time, or countries like Finland where when not working, they drink heavily and are faced with many hours of darkness in the winter months.

The most conclusive summary, would show that where the climate is good and the family unit is strong then the chances of suicide are far less.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:07 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
That means a lot of depressed folk with no bottle in the UK. Brings the rest down.
An interesting perspective, which could demonstrate that the current population in the UK to be extremely selfish. For example, if I`m miserable I`ll make sure everybody else is as well..........whereas say in Finland, that same person would just go off and do what they had to do to end it all.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
An interesting perspective, which could demonstrate that the current population in the UK to be extremely selfish. For example, if I`m miserable I`ll make sure everybody else is as well..........whereas say in Finland, that same person would just go off and do what they had to do to end it all.
Suicide just isn't cricket. That's the simple answer.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:13 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Suicide just isn't cricket. That's the simple answer.
I know I was making it sound all either black or white, but it was just a quick analogy on what is a very delicate subject matter.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:16 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

I know I was making it sound all either black or white, but it was just a quick analogy on what is a very delicate subject matter.
I was blase but simply, suicide is more unacceptable in the British psyche than the others, so happens less. This is only an opinion of course
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:23 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

I was blase but simply, suicide is more unacceptable in the British psyche than the others, so happens less. This is only an opinion of course
I think certain races are less susceptible to suicide than others, therefore environment plays a key factor in all of this. In Japan which is high on the list, there is a Samurai tradition of Seppuku.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:24 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to think the opposite - in some ways suicide is the ultimate selfish act
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:06 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

I tend to think the opposite - in some ways suicide is the ultimate selfish act
Its another perspective, especially the damage that it can cause to those left behind, but I think the fact that somebody who does take their own life, is usually in such a severe state of depression that things such as selfishness are often the furthest things from their mind anyway. I think the best person to answer this, would be a person that has suffered from severe depression and has thought about this as an escape, which is really what suicide is.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Question: why do all the countries that rank higher than the UK for "quality of life" have higher suicide rates (in some cases much higher) than the UK?

Hmmm....that's ironic; high standard of living seems to equal higher suicide rates. Maybe when everything is apparently so wonderful then boredom sets in....anyway you know what they say:

"There's lies, damn lies and statistics"
Old Oct 6th 2009, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Cuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant future

I think certain races are less susceptible to suicide than others, therefore environment plays a key factor in all of this. In Japan which is high on the list, there is a Samurai tradition of Seppuku.

In the past.
I don't think that people are thinking of samurai's in day to day life..
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:07 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Cuppa10
In the past.
I don't think that people are thinking of samurai's in day to day life..
It was used as a reference, to show that Japan has a tradition of suicide throughout its history, whether somebody sticks a sword into their stomach, swallows a bottle of pills or jumps off a cliff, the result is largely the same.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:22 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Ciderman
Hmmm....that's ironic; high standard of living seems to equal higher suicide rates. Maybe when everything is apparently so wonderful then boredom sets in....anyway you know what they say:

"There's lies, damn lies and statistics"
Its not necessarily just connected to a high standard of living either, as the ex-Soviet states which are high on the list, don`t have that high standard of living. On the other hand, neighboring Scandinavia does and it is also high on the list! I think the link is the monotony of everyday life, feelings of negativity and hopelessness along with the weaker family values that these countries often have. All this is then shaped by the grim and grey environment in eastern Europe, or in Scandinavia`s case the long grim winter months. Admittedly, its not as obvious as all this, because if memory serves me correctly Belgium was also high on that list and Belgium is not a grim or grey country.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

A quick opinion would suggest that people in eastern Europe and Scandinavia are more likely to commit suicide than someone from either western or southern Europe. In western Europe there is more diversity with exciting things to do. In southern Europe there is a sunny climate and a stronger family unit, things that the north and east have less of. One could even suggest, that when a country is economically poor but the climate and family unit are strong (Most latin amercan countries) then the rates are much lower as well. In fact most of the countries on the list, excepting those of eastern Europe, are economically strong countries like Japan where people spend most of their time working and have little free time, or countries like Finland where when not working, they drink heavily and are faced with many hours of darkness in the winter months.

The most conclusive summary, would show that where the climate is good and the family unit is strong then the chances of suicide are far less.
I dunno, Australia amongst the highest suicide rates in the world - and the figures that are usually quoted are estimated to be around 30% lower than the actual figures according to some recent reports. Youth suicide and mental health problems here are very bad but of course no one publicises that as there is a bit of an embargo on talking about suicide. I guess our youth suicide stats have improved over the past 5 years but still nothing to write home about.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, Australia amongst the highest suicide rates in the world - and the figures that are usually quoted are estimated to be around 30% lower than the actual figures according to some recent reports. Youth suicide and mental health problems here are very bad but of course no one publicises that as there is a bit of an embargo on talking about suicide. I guess our youth suicide stats have improved over the past 5 years but still nothing to write home about.
I often heard it said that Oz has the highest suicide rate in males between 15-25 age bracket.

there is a Samurai tradition of Seppuku.
Favoured methhod of the Ronin wasn't it?
Old Oct 6th 2009, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Better TV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.