Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Express question

American Express question

Old Jul 21st 2014, 8:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Express question

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
It's false. AMEX state you have been a customer since the year you took out the card, but your credit history does NOT transfer over.
OK thx, I'll remember that for future reference.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrewlohnes
OK so I had my Amex approved Friday and should have it by the end of the week, this will give me 18 months of Amex credit history for when I move.

I know it's nothing compared to some of you guys but I'm hoping to have $20,000 saved up so will have money for deposits on stuff e.g - mortgage, car finance, utilities etc. After a month or so of having a full time job will 18 months of Amex history be enough for a mortgage? I'm doubting it will be but would like to get on the property ladder ASAP, renting is dead money.
depends on how fancy you want to go with the car and a house.
I rented for a year to build up credit history. I had to wait 3 months to rent, I was living in a hotel for 3 months, but my company paid for it along with $60 a day food and drink allowance

Renting allows you to look around and see where you would like to buy or if you just want to get up and return to the UK at that point.

Be careful buying in Phoenix as the housing market has been on a huge rollercoaster ride over the past 10 years or so. There are plenty of houses being let go by investors who have being renting them for the last 10 years but have never spend a penny on updates etc. The houses here are of a good size but the cost of maintaining them is higher too. I put in a new a/c system, cheapest quote i got was $15k. My roof need replacing soon, $25k to replace, its got 2 years left before i get real problems.

Another option as the houses are quite big i know people who house share, 4 or 5 people per house? I wouldn't do that but people do it, gets them all on the property ladder.

Last edited by Uncle_Bob; Jul 21st 2014 at 9:37 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

It's false. AMEX state you have been a customer since the year you took out the card, but your credit history does NOT transfer over.
I understand that the credit history does not transfer. Isn't his best option to look for lenders in the UK that have a presence in the USA, then ask them to transfer the UK account to American, at that point it starts reporting history in America before he gets there?
Old Jul 21st 2014, 11:42 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
I understand that the credit history does not transfer. Isn't his best option to look for lenders in the UK that have a presence in the USA, then ask them to transfer the UK account to American, at that point it starts reporting history in America before he gets there?
I don't believe so. The reporting history only begins when the account is opened in the United States. So using HSBC etc, won't have any impact.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 12:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... begins when the account is opened in the United States. .....
But I think what UncleBob is suggesting is to transfer the a/c to the US, before the account holder arrives in the US. The problem is that without a SSN, even if you could persuade the bank to transfer the account (which I sincerely doubt any bank would do), the activity wouldn't be reported to the credit agencies. Even if you could do this, you'd have to send a USD transfer every month to make the loan payment, which could be a relatively expensive and complex issue itself.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 22nd 2014 at 12:08 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 12:57 am
Forum Regular

FinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond reputeFinnDiego has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, that's my understanding too, should have been a bit more specific above. What you end up with is say a 12-month credit history but with an account that's been open for five years. Not quite sure what that means...

Even with no additional credit history transfer just having that card is very useful for building one, so the transfer if worth doing in my opinion.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

Well, for me, I'm hoping to open a bank account with Chase and get a credit card with them in November. I'm just going to explain my situation and hope that I can, I will use my dad's address as my permanent address (which it will be for a while after I move) and I already have a SSN.

I'm going to open it with $1000-2000 and then transfer about $600 a month into it and use the credit card on amazon.com and pay it off in full every month.

Fingers crossed they will after I have explained my situation.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Related article:

New arrivals to U.S. need to rebuild credit history
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 9:16 pm

.... Fingers crossed they will after I have explained my situation.
The less you have to explain, the fewer alarm bells you will ring.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

andrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond reputeandrewlohnes has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of just telling them I have just moved to my dad's permanently when I go in November, but then that would be fraud I'm guessing. Not that they'd ever find out?
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Well, for me, I'm hoping to open a bank account with Chase and get a credit card with them in November. I'm just going to explain my situation and hope that I can, I will use my dad's address as my permanent address (which it will be for a while after I move) and I already have a SSN.

I'm going to open it with $1000-2000 and then transfer about $600 a month into it and use the credit card on amazon.com and pay it off in full every month.

Fingers crossed they will after I have explained my situation.
If your dad lives in the US, has good credit, and is willing to put you on one of his credit cards as an authorized user (he doesn't even have to give you the credit card), since you have a social security number, all of his credit history for that card including his past history should become part of your history at the credit bureaus.

In the past, that was the way credit repair agencies repaired a person's credit but now the credit bureaus can determine if someone is trying to do that. The credit repair agencies would put hundreds of customers as authorized users on a credit card with perfect credit history. I believe now the credit bureaus will reject authorized users getting the history if more than a few are on a credit card.

I put my sons as authorized users on my credit card and when they applied for credit, they didn't have any problems.

Last edited by Michael; Jul 23rd 2014 at 6:14 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2014, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

That is a fantastic piece of advice! I'll have to look into that 1.

Thanks!
Old Jul 25th 2014, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

That is a fantastic piece of advice! I'll have to look into that 1.

Thanks!
That same advice is included in the link I posted earlier:

Local friends and family: People you know and trust -- and likewise know and trust you -- might allow you to piggyback on their credit card accounts as an authorized user. Becoming an authorized user means that you get the benefit of the primary cardholder's solid credit history. But choose that person wisely, since any mistakes made by the primary cardholder can also hurt your credit.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
That same advice is included in the link I posted earlier:

Local friends and family: People you know and trust -- and likewise know and trust you -- might allow you to piggyback on their credit card accounts as an authorized user. Becoming an authorized user means that you get the benefit of the primary cardholder's solid credit history. But choose that person wisely, since any mistakes made by the primary cardholder can also hurt your credit.
Completely missed that link, sorry Ned.
Old Jul 26th 2014, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

laidback4 is on a distinguished road

I had an Amex card in the UK, then moved to Canada, then recently the US. On each move I went to the page on the Amex site called moving abroad and completed the details. I quickly received a new card without any fuss. I've been in the US for three months now - I received my new Amex after three weeks, and successfully applied for a MasterCard with Citi last week, presumably off the strength of that.