Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

SB-1 visa, what about dependants if approved?

SB-1 visa, what about dependants if approved?

Old Jun 26th 2017, 12:02 am
Just Joined

outteruniverse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SB-1 visa, what about dependants if approved?

A very good evening to you all!

I am asking on behalf of a friend of mine. He had a Green Card previously and is applying to get a new one via the SB-1 Visa. The questions we have are not about how likley it is he will get it approved etc. However, his now wife and children have not had a Green Card before, so this is the questions we have and these are only question that he needs to know and that are relevant...IF he is approved for the SB-1 will his spouse and children be entitled to Green Card too? or some other type of Green Card?

How is the SB-1 Visa different to a green card? is it the same thing as a Green Card?

If he is refused for the SB1 visa will that affect any future US visas he may apply for?

I thank you all in advance. Kindest of regards to you all.

Last edited by outteruniverse; Jun 26th 2017 at 12:12 am.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 12:28 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SB-1 visa, what about dependants if approved?

Originally Posted by outteruniverse
IF he is approved for the SB-1 will his spouse and children be entitled to Green Card too?
I'm not a lawyer, but I'm going to say no, because SB-1 is for people who have already had a green card and now wish to return to the USA as a permanent resident. The wife and children have never had a green card or been a US permanent resident, so wouldn't qualify.

or some other type of Green Card?
There is no other type of green card.

How is the SB-1 Visa different to a green card?
My understanding is that SB-1 is a travel document, for those who no longer have their physical green card.

is it the same thing as a Green Card?
No.

If he is refused for the SB1 visa will that affect any future US visas he may apply for?
Probably depends on which visa he's applying for in the future.

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2017, 12:55 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by outteruniverse
He had a Green Card previously and is applying to get a new one via the SB-1 Visa.
No, he's not... because that's not what an SB-1 visa is for.

IF he is approved for the SB-1 will his spouse and children be entitled to Green Card too?
No. No one ever has an entitlement to a green card.

... or some other type of Green Card?
There is no other type. Like Highlander - there is only one!

How is the SB-1 Visa different to a green card?
A green card is proof of status as a US permanent resident. An SB-1 visa is nothing more than a travel document.

... is it the same thing as a Green Card?
No.

Yes, very likely. There are only two possible outcomes from a visa application: approval or denial. If the SB-1 is denied, he must then declare that visa denial on any subsequent US visa application.

Now, that all said - I suggest you walk away from this and let your friend figure out his own visa issues.

Ian
Old Jun 26th 2017, 1:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Makes one wonder how long he was outside the USA. Long enough to have gotten married and had a child.

outeruniverse, please have your friend register an account here on BE to ask these questions himself. Second hand information is never a good idea.

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2017, 1:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

An SB-1 is for someone who remains outside the US for "reasons beyond their control". If, while outside the US they were able to get married and father a child, my guess would be that they were, in fact, also free to return to the US, but chose not to do so.

I'm just sayin!
Old Jun 26th 2017, 2:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

He can sponsor hos Spouse and children assuming he is a LPR and can meet the I 864 requirements, will take a few years.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 9:47 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for those replies. So the SB1 visa is just a travel document. But I guess it has the same benefits ie it allows a person to live and work in the US the same as a green card.

Boiler, could a person on a SB1 Visa sponsor his wife and children while living outside the US?
Old Jun 26th 2017, 10:44 am

No. The person sponsoring must live in the USA. That person would not be "on an SB-1 visa". They would be living in the USA on their green card, as a permanent resident.

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2017, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by longfound
Thank you all for those replies. So the SB1 visa is just a travel document. But I guess it has the same benefits ie it allows a person to live and work in the US the same as a green card.
No. It allows a US PR who has been outside the USA for some time, to travel to the USA (If approved).

Rene
Old Jun 26th 2017, 11:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks Rene, so a person who is approved for their SB1 visa will get a replacement Green Card?
The SB1 visa allows a a US PR who has been outside the USA for some time, to travel to the USA (If approved) and that person is then able to live and work in the US the same as they did previously (If approved)?
Old Jun 26th 2017, 12:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by longfound
..... So the SB1 visa is just a travel document. But I guess it has the same benefits ie it allows a person to live and work in the US the same as a green card. ....
No, you misunderstood - a visa gets you into the country, it "opens the door", that's all, then the green card allows you to remain in the country.
Old Jun 26th 2017, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

No

If their GC is expired they need to apply for a new one.