move to usa unemployed?

Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:59 am
Just Joined

jiirtih is an unknown quantity at this point
Default move to usa unemployed?

Hi there,

Apologies if these issues have been covered before, I'm new to the forum.

I'll give you the whole story so you can (hopefully!) give me more accurate advice.

I'm a 22 year old British male, I graduated from uni last year. Since then I've been working boring admin/office jobs, not what I went to uni for (I did PR/Journalism), but in the current climate we can't be too choosy can we!

Anyway, I was recently let go at the end of my temporary contract. Since then, I've been struggling to find any work in the UK.

I'm thinking of moving to the USA. California, in particular. I've visited a few times and love it. I also have some american friends from uni who live there.

I have enough saved to lived for around 3 months with no work. However, I am prepared to take pretty much any job there initially. Dish washing, bar work, valet, whatever.

I feel that I would stand more chance of getting a decent job in what I want to do if I was there to meet people face-to-face. However, pretty much everything i've read about visas says that you need a job before you can go. Or you need to be a full time student to get a J-1. Obviously, I'm graduated now.

Can anyone who has heard of/been in this situation offer any guidance?

Much appreciated.

Jiirtih
Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

pejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond reputepejpm1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: move to usa unemployed?

Other people more knowledgable that me will be able to fill you in on the specifics, but what you have heard is correct. It is not possible to do any kind of work in the US without a visa. To obtain a visa that will allow you to work you need to get a company to sponsor you and apply for it, and this is an incredibly difficult process with not much chance of success. This is particularly true for someone of your age with limited experience. If you came over on the vwp (visa waiver programme..it means people from certain countries such as the UK dont need a visa but must leave after 90 days) as a holiday maker for 3 months, you could attend interviews, but you would have to return to the UK for the visa process...although as I said above, the chances of finding someone to sponsor you for an H1B are next to zero. You will not be able to obtain a visa for bar work, valet etc...if you did that kind of work while over here on the vwp it would be illegal, although obviously some people do this..but if you got caught you'd be pretty screwed.

I dont know much about the J1 visa, but I do know that it can be used for seasonal work and for students...maybe you could do a masters degree in the US? That would be incredibly expensive, but its a route in I suppose.

Have you thought about Bunac or the Mountbatten programme? They are both schemes for recent grads to go to the US for 6 months to a year to gain work experience. It's not permanent, but again it'll get you over here temporarily which would be good, because moving to a different country is not the bed of roses that everyone thinks it is.

The other option would be to get married to a US citizen, or to work for a company that has offices in both the UK and US. After working in the UK for one year, they could sponsor you for a company transfer visa (L1)..thats the visa that I'm on. I'm 26 without a degree and they managed it for me. I'd say thats the route that most people that I know came over on.

Last edited by pejpm1; Feb 5th 2009 at 10:45 am.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Keep your savings and go for a couple of weeks. With what you've said, at best you really don't have a chance of getting a visa and at worst you would be committing immigration fraud and potentially get a lengthy ban from the US. The job market is just as bad here as it is in the UK and considering it costs a company a lot of time and money to get somebody a visa to work for them as well as the fact that there are plenty of people who can start working immediately, companies aren't sponsoring visas like they used to unless you are something special.

If you want to work in the US you need to spend a lot of time researching it and you haven't done that s far.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:42 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Your chances of coming to the US are slim. There are massive layoffs going on in all the major media sites (LA Times, NY Times, etc) and getting sponsored by a media outlet for a visa is a highly unlikely proposition.

Do not come and work on the sly or overstay. That will get you a 10 year ban on re-entry to the US.

Some other options include:

a) Marry an American
b) Use your savings to get a graduate degree in the US (and then find an American to marry)
c) Work for a EU-based media outlet and get assigned to their US bureau
d) Enhance your resume (time to write a novel?) and try to get an H-1 from someone or become an artist of distinction and aim for an artistic/sports visa (i.e. David Beckham / John Cleese level).

note: It's not that we're being harsh, it's just we a) hear this sort of question every day and b) there are some scam artists out there--'immigration consultants'--who spread stories 'it's so easy--anyone can do it--just give me £500 to handle the paperwork' when the reality is it is incredibly difficult to get a visa to the US. People here try to save folks from going down this path and losing quite a bit of money.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jiirtih
but in the current climate we can't be too choosy can we!
This also applies here in spades. And given the fact that a lot of people here are having to make do, I think it may well have a negative impact on even legitimate work visa's and immigration - if companies can find a suitable locally qualified candidate, they are not going to bother getting a Visa for an overseas one.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Make this a long term goal. I set my sights on moving to the States from the Cayman Islands in 2002 when my British fiance moved there on a H1b. I planned, took US exams and started seeking employment in early 2006. I now have 8 years experience in banking, was offered 4 positions and almost 3 years later I hopefully will be transferring using an L1 visa. Visas are so so hard to get.

The Bunac idea - work America programme is a great one and one I pursued during my 2nd/3rd year uni. It will give you a taste of how things are but as the other posters have said, there aren't any jobs anywhere. People are having to take second jobs - bar, valet just to make ends meet.

And my third point which is really important - it isn't cheap to live here, you need a pretty good job to help out with all the health insurance etc.

Perhaps think about opportunities in the EU. I travelled around the world with Airtours after I graduated for 4 years - fabulous way to see different places.

Good luck
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:38 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jiirtih
Hi there,
Apologies if these issues have been covered before, I'm new to the forum.
I'll give you the whole story so you can (hopefully!) give me more accurate advice.
I'm a 22 year old British male, I graduated from uni last year. Since then I've been working boring admin/office jobs, not what I went to uni for (I did PR/Journalism), but in the current climate we can't be too choosy can we!
Anyway, I was recently let go at the end of my temporary contract. Since then, I've been struggling to find any work in the UK.
I'm thinking of moving to the USA. California, in particular. I've visited a few times and love it. I also have some american friends from uni who live there.
I have enough saved to lived for around 3 months with no work. However, I am prepared to take pretty much any job there initially. Dish washing, bar work, valet, whatever.
I feel that I would stand more chance of getting a decent job in what I want to do if I was there to meet people face-to-face. However, pretty much everything i've read about visas says that you need a job before you can go. Or you need to be a full time student to get a J-1. Obviously, I'm graduated now.
Can anyone who has heard of/been in this situation offer any guidance?
Much appreciated.
Jiirtih
One option would be to come over on the VWP as a tourist, doss around and stay with your mates until that runs out and then just stay here and work under the table until they chuck you out of the country.
That's if they catch you - bear in mind the USCIS are usually looking for someone who's called Pedro.
Met about a half dozen over here from England a few years back who all worked under the table for a moving/delivery company. They had a house rented together and everything. Not a single work visa between them.

Burned America out of their systems and slept thru the hangovers on the flight back.

The big down-side is that you can forget trying to get back over here again for a while - but then there's always the Canadian border.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
One option would be to come over on the VWP as a tourist, doss around and stay with your mates until that runs out and then just stay here and work under the table until they chuck you out of the country.
That's if they catch you - bear in mind the USCIS are usually looking for someone who's called Pedro.
Met about a half dozen over here from England a few years back who all worked under the table for a moving/delivery company. They had a house rented together and everything. Not a single work visa between them.

Burned America out of their systems and slept thru the hangovers on the flight back.

The big down-side is that you can forget trying to get back over here again for a while - but then there's always the Canadian border.
If he has any intention of wanting to come back, not a good suggestion. Any overstay of the VWP results in a ban. If he overstays by less than a year, it's a 3yr ban, over a year results in a 10yr ban.

Besides, this youth sounds like he wants to get a reputable job that could possibly help advance his career. He won't find that without following the correct immigration channels. I second the idea of Bunac. I can't remember all the criteria, but at least it will give him the ability to live/work here for a short period of time and let him 'test the waters' to see if he likes the American lifestyle.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:05 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
wants to get a reputable job that could possibly help advance his career.
Now, I know what all those words mean, but I'm afraid you have them strung together in some wierd order that just doesn't make any sense. Its frustrating, because its clear enough that you are saying something about jobs, Captain Kirk and the Red Cross.

Is it in Welsh?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

newXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to allnewXgate is a name known to all

The operative words here are 'a few years back'. Things have got a lot tougher for undocumenteds since then, particularly post 9-11.

A couple of things to mention. Firstly, depending on which state he's in it might be impossible to get a drivers licence, open a bank account, rent an apartment, without visible proof of legal status and residence. I read that a lot of long term illegal Irish in New York were going back to Ireland for that very reason.

Secondly, ICE workplace raids are increasing and are not fun at all. You run a real risk of being rounded up and doing indeterminate time in immigration prison. I highly doubt the OP, were he unfortunate enough to be in that position, would be treated any differently because he's British. They will not just slap you on the wrists and put you on the next plane to Heathrow, in other words. Not to mention that being deported = LIFETIME ban from USA, forget about 3/10 years.

If the OP wants to go the doss-around-work-in-bars route, Australia would probably be a better bet, unless he is prepared to put up with the risks outlined above.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Now, I know what all those words mean, but I'm afraid you have them strung together in some wierd order that just doesn't make any sense. Its frustrating, because its clear enough that you are saying something about jobs, Captain Kirk and the Red Cross.

Is it in Welsh?
Not Welsh. He does say that he's willing to do any job that can bring in money (i.e. dishwashing, etc). However, in another statement, it also appears that he ultimately wants a job in his chosen career of PR/Journalism. If he decides to come over and 'work under the table,' I don't think he'll get many opportunities (if any) to do this for a PR job. So my point was, if he's wanting to ultimately get a job in his career field, working illegally as a dishwasher won't get him very far. There's nothing wrong with being a dishwasher, but I don't think he went to uni for that kind of position.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Bladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of lightBladerunner is a glorious beacon of light

The climate is not good for undocumented workers. Even bar work etc is really hard to come by now. Most bar and restaurant owners have a much wider choice of legal workers to choose from.

There will always be a market for people (mostly Latinos) willing to work illegally for half the minimum wage or less. But that's no kind of life unless you are living rent free.

Remember, if you overstay you won't be able to visit your family, ever - unless you return for good.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 6:02 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I work as a bartender in NYC. Most places want documented workers. The illegals who do get dishwashing jobs are usually Mexican and get paid about $50 a day and work about 60 hours a week. There are some Irish Bars that still hire illegals but ICE has been doing more workplace raids and if I were you I would not take a chance. I worked with several Illegal Irish in NY and they were actually all able to open bank accounts at Washington Mutual but now that it's Chase that's no longer an option. They all rent apartments in Queens, Brooklyn or the Bronx and actually amazingly have been able to get drivers licences! Unemployment is very high in NY. There have been lawyers and accountants that have come into my restaurant looking for bar/waiteressing work. Its not an easy job. I work in a high end place that requires extensive food and wine knowledge and will not hire anyone with less than 3 years solid food and beverage experience and you are tested on your knowledge. I get offended when people say they will take just a bar job. I have been in the bar/restaurant businesws for over 20 years and I make more money than alot of corporate people! This is on the books paying taxes on my wages and tips! Business has been down but luckily we are still doing ok. Do more research but do things the right way.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Hi,

Make this a long term goal. I set my sights on moving to the States from the Cayman Islands in 2002 when my British fiance moved there on a H1b. I planned, took US exams and started seeking employment in early 2006. I now have 8 years experience in banking, was offered 4 positions and almost 3 years later I hopefully will be transferring using an L1 visa. Visas are so so hard to get.

The Bunac idea - work America programme is a great one and one I pursued during my 2nd/3rd year uni. It will give you a taste of how things are but as the other posters have said, there aren't any jobs anywhere. People are having to take second jobs - bar, valet just to make ends meet.

And my third point which is really important - it isn't cheap to live here, you need a pretty good job to help out with all the health insurance etc.

Perhaps think about opportunities in the EU. I travelled around the world with Airtours after I graduated for 4 years - fabulous way to see different places.

Good luck
Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
If he has any intention of wanting to come back, not a good suggestion. Any overstay of the VWP results in a ban. If he overstays by less than a year, it's a 3yr ban, over a year results in a 10yr ban.

Besides, this youth sounds like he wants to get a reputable job that could possibly help advance his career. He won't find that without following the correct immigration channels. I second the idea of Bunac. I can't remember all the criteria, but at least it will give him the ability to live/work here for a short period of time and let him 'test the waters' to see if he likes the American lifestyle.

If the OP is no longer a full time student I don't think he's eligible for BUNAC.

To be eligible you must be a current full-time student at a UK or Irish university* on a degree level or HND course (or equivalent). Final year students are eligible to apply. Gap year students, and those on professional courses such as ACCA are not eligible.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, once you have graduated, it is too late to use BUNAC to go to the US.

Other countries are a different matter. I suggest he considers Canada.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.