Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Hello - B1/2 COS to E2 or L1 for cake decorating company?

Hello - B1/2 COS to E2 or L1 for cake decorating company?

Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello - B1/2 COS to E2 or L1 for cake decorating company?

Not got a clue about any of your questions, but just wanted to say hi to a fellow baker and sugarcraft lover! I'm only a happy amateur but saw the photos earlier and your cakes are amazing.

Good luck with your plans.

Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello - B1/2 AOS to E2 or L1 for cake decorating company?

Originally Posted by cakeboy
The main question is whether a good business plan with pryer start up knowledge and an investment of $80k would be sufficient enough to get an E-2 visa.

It's decidedly at the low end. But with a good and solid business plan, and an experienced and qualified US immigration attorney.....it may fly.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

cakeboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not got a clue about any of your questions, but just wanted to say hi to a fellow baker and sugarcraft lover! I'm only a happy amateur but saw the photos earlier and your cakes are amazing.

Good luck with your plans.

Thank you very much, I've put a link in my signature to some of my earlier cakes.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's decidedly at the low end. But with a good and solid business plan, and an experienced and qualified US immigration attorney.....it may fly.
There seems to be a lot of conflicting info on this

theres some that say that it's business dependant, if you can justify the amount with a decent business plan
while
others say that it's $150k minimum or don't even bother

i'm looking for people who have experience with the process to tell me whether I have a chance.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be a lot of conflicting info on this

theres some that say that it's business dependant, if you can justify the amount with a decent business plan
while
others say that it's $150k minimum or don't even bother

i'm looking for people who have experience with the process to tell me whether I have a chance.
You need a pro.

Try this one: http://www.investorvisausa.com/index.html
Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You need a pro.

Try this one: http://www.investorvisausa.com/index.html
thanks, I've already seen this site according to my history, however they are in the UK and I'm in the US.
I'm hoping to be able to COS in US rather than go back to the UK as i think London is a shambles and heard many stories that it's one of the worst US embassy's in the world.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, I've already seen this site according to my history, however they are in the UK and I'm in the US.
I'm hoping to be able to COS in US rather than go back to the UK as i think London is a shambles and heard many stories that it's one of the worst US embassy's in the world.
Those cakes are Amazing!! Don't you have to leave soon though if you arrived in Oct 2012? It will take longer I am sure than a few weeks to put together a viable business plan and submit the application. Good luck though - you are very talented.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Those cakes are Amazing!! Don't you have to leave soon though if you arrived in Oct 2012? It will take longer I am sure than a few weeks to put together a viable business plan and submit the application. Good luck though - you are very talented.
6th of april is my return flight so over 2 months, been told once the COS is ongoing I will be OK however will probably do the 15 working day rush thingy thats why i'd want to go through USCIS in Texas then start a fresh through London.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

6th of april is my return flight so over 2 months, been told once the COS is ongoing I will be OK however will probably do the 15 working day rush thingy thats why i'd want to go through USCIS in Texas then start a fresh through London.
doing it your way is not that good a way .. you lock yourself in too never leaving the US..If you do you wont get back in without a proper visa
..and if they dont accept the change of status ..big problems
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It's just a single shop I set up in my hometown about 18 months ago, it's definately not big enough to sponsor.
With respect, who on earth told you that? Or is it something you're just assuming?

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Feb 1st 2013 at 10:00 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 5:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see this ending in tears.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 1:06 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. Don't L1A have to be managing professional personnel in order to qualify? I know it can't be to manage a laborer. Am I missing the part where there is going to be a chemist or engineer doing the baking?
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 2:24 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by crg
Me too. Don't L1A have to be managing professional personnel in order to qualify? I know it can't be to manage a laborer. Am I missing the part where there is going to be a chemist or engineer doing the baking?
It's not looking like an L1A, but an E2 with eventual residency through parental sponsorship is a viable plan. The tears come from his recklessness in cutting corners for instant gratification.