Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Dual Passport Holder - British and US

Dual Passport Holder - British and US

Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

rjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nicerjbhutton is just really nice
Smile Dual Passport Holder - British and US

Woohoo!! I am a US citizen as of Jan 24, 2008.... and still a British citizen.. woohoo! I still have my British passports (old and new) but no green card any more. My naturalization certificate is in the mail with my US passport application, so I hope to have my US passport in a month or so... and then I'll officially (in my mind) be a dualie!! It's all good. two countries, two passports! I am really excited about my next trip abroad!!!

PS. I live in Dayton, had my fingerprints and interview in Cincy, then swore in at the regional district court in Dayton... applied for natz June/July 07, interviewed early Nov, offered a swearing in ceremony in Dec, but had to decline as I was traveling for Xmas, got another one 1/24/08. They do the swearing in/natz ceremony monthly in Dayton...
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Passport Holder - British and US

I separated your post. You tacked it on to an old post rather than start your own. Congratulations,btw.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rjbhutton
Woohoo!! I am a US citizen as of Jan 24, 2008.... and still a British citizen.. woohoo! I still have my British passports (old and new) but no green card any more. My naturalization certificate is in the mail with my US passport application, so I hope to have my US passport in a month or so... and then I'll officially (in my mind) be a dualie!! It's all good. two countries, two passports! I am really excited about my next trip abroad!!!

PS. I live in Dayton, had my fingerprints and interview in Cincy, then swore in at the regional district court in Dayton... applied for natz June/July 07, interviewed early Nov, offered a swearing in ceremony in Dec, but had to decline as I was traveling for Xmas, got another one 1/24/08. They do the swearing in/natz ceremony monthly in Dayton...
Congrats, don't forget to inform Social Security office. Also registering to vote, you maybe in time for the primaries, but register for elections.
Reg. Frank R.

http://www.declareyourself.com/votin..._info_2.html#O
OHIO
You must:

Be a citizen of the United States
Be a resident of Ohio for at least 30 days before an election
Be 18 years old on or before Election Day. If you will be 18 on or before the day of the general election, you may vote in the primary election for candidates only.
Not be convicted of a felony and currently incarcerated
Not be found incompetent by a court for purposes of voting
Not been permanently disfranchised for violations of the election laws
Registration Deadline: 30 days before the election

Date of Primary: Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Primary Registration Deadline: Monday, February 4, 2008 (30 days prior)

State Election Website: http://www.sos.state.oh.us/sos/Publi...InfoGuide.aspx
SOS Website:www.sos.state.oh.us/

Last edited by frrussre; Jan 31st 2008 at 3:46 am.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

sloulamp is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations! I am just about to start that process the end of Feb, when I've been married the required number of years.

Sounds like your wait time was fast.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sloulamp
Congratulations! I am just about to start that process the end of Feb, when I've been married the required number of years.

Sounds like your wait time was fast.
Do you mean you'll be starting the naturalization process at the end of February? Just wanted to point out that it's not only dependent on the number of years you've been married (if you're basing your naturalization on marriage to a USC), but also the number of years you've been a PR.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

sloulamp is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I spoke to USCIS this morning, and they say after 3 years of marriage you can apply, although the website reads as if you have to be PR for 3 years... so confusing!

Also, did you apply because you're married to an US citizen? Finally, (so nosey I'm sorry), did you have to take the test? How was it?
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I spoke to USCIS this morning, and they say after 3 years of marriage you can apply, although the website reads as if you have to be PR for 3 years... so confusing!
You do have to have been a PR for 3 years (minus 90 days) if you're applying on the basis of marriage to a USC. I would take anything the person at the call center told you with a grain of salt.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:39 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

They are both correct. If you're basing your naturalization on marriage to a USC, you need to have been married to that same USC a full three years to be eligible. You also must have been a PR for 3 years.

USCIS allows you to file the N-400 90 days before your 3rd anniversary as a PR, if you have been married a full 3 years by that date.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Also, did you apply because you're married to an US citizen? Finally, (so nosey I'm sorry), did you have to take the test? How was it?
It's all laid out in this wiki page: Naturalization US Citizenship Resources

Naturalization: Waivers, Exceptions, and Special Cases

Family Members of U.S. Citizens, Spouses of U.S. Citizens Waiver for Spouses: 3 years instead of 5

In general, if you have been a Permanent Resident for three years and have been married to and living in a valid marital union with the same U.S. citizen spouse for all three years AND you meet the other criteria (Residence and Physical Presence, Good Moral Character, Language etc), you are eligible for naturalization.

So called "Conditional Permanent Residents" are Permanent Residents nonetheless.

When does my time as a Permanent Resident begin?

Your time as a Permanent Resident begins on the date you were granted permanent resident status. This date is on your Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as Alien Registration Card) aka your Green Card.
----

There are other factors, so make sure you are eligible before parting with your hard earned greenback$.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 8:02 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

At the risk of boring, or worse, irritating, all of you again, I'd just like to pipe up and say my interview is on the 26th.

If everything goes well, I will be a Yank too. I only wish they would issue me with a perfect American smile.

Better start practicing pretending to be Canadian, eh?