Do I need an I-131 ?

Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:16 am
Just Joined

mege333 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need an I-131 ?

Hi,

I am in the USA and applying for my AOS based on marriage to an USC.

Is it useful to apply for an I-131 now, in case I want to travel outside the US whilst I awaiting my documents ?

Or can I just leave the country and re-enter on a visa waiver , being from the UK ?

Is it worthwhile and do I explain on the form (I-131) that it is for an eventuality and not a booked excursion outside the US ?

Thanks for your help.

Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (LG-GR500/V10f Teleca/Q7.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

do not leave the usa without the advance parole document from form i-131 or greencard.

You can apply for AP with you aos application.

Last edited by PepsiChic; Oct 28th 2009 at 5:32 am.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need an I-131 ?

Originally Posted by mege333
Is it useful to apply for an I-131 now, in case I want to travel outside the US whilst I awaiting my documents ?
If you leave without Advance Parole, you effectively abandon your AOS... and will have to start all over again - and remain outside the US while it happens.

Or can I just leave the country and re-enter on a visa waiver , being from the UK ?
You can leave the country whenever you want. The problem, of course, is getting back in! You can enter on a VW but that does *not* allow you to stay in the US after 90 days - even if you have an AOS pending.

Is it worthwhile...
Umm... yes! Besides, it doesn't cost any extra to file the I-131 when you file the entire AOS package.

... do I explain on the form (I-131) that it is for an eventuality and not a booked excursion outside the US ?
You don't need to explain anything. The word "emergent" is not the same as "emergency" - and as long as your AOS is accepted as properly filed, you will get A/P.

Ian
Old Oct 28th 2009, 12:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, the I-131 fee is included in the I-485 fee so why not apply for it. Unless you have an overstay on your record, you would be safe to use it. Note, that it appears that adjudication of most I-485's is very fast these days and chances are you will have a green card before you need to use the I-131 advance parole.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for those prompt replies.

Can I put `unknown` where it asks for date and intended length of stay ?

I have not booked anything but it is in case I want to make a trip out of the US.

Thanks again.

p.s. how many passport-size photos in total for the whole application process ?

3 for me and 1 for the wife ?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We simply put visit family and vacations.

Didn't list any dates.

Thanks for those prompt replies.

Can I put `unknown` where it asks for date and intended length of stay ?

I have not booked anything but it is in case I want to make a trip out of the US.

Thanks again.

p.s. how many passport-size photos in total for the whole application process ?

3 for me and 1 for the wife ?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am in the USA and applying for my AOS based on marriage to an USC.

Is it worthwhile and do I explain on the form (I-131) that it is for an eventuality and not a booked excursion outside the US ?

Thanks for your help.

Hi:

The I-131 is a no fee application. Also, it asks for plans for the future -- you have the right to change your mind. You want to visit family at Easter, don't you?

You can leave the US without AP -- the only result will be that you will have abandoned your adjustment application. I doubt you could back on the VWP -- you would need to shift to the immigrant track.

Final point -- if you have 180 days of unlawful presence before you filed for adjustment, don't leave until the adjustment is approved.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

So I just put any dates and destinations and I can change them later ?
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe you're asked for information about a destination. And you don't have to put specific dates if you don't want to (or don't know). If you don't know when you'll be travelling, say so. No one's going to hold you to that... this isn't a contract that you're signing.

Ian
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:05 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I don't believe you're asked for information about a destination. And you don't have to put specific dates if you don't want to (or don't know). If you don't know when you'll be travelling, say so. No one's going to hold you to that... this isn't a contract that you're signing.

Ian

As I posted, DH put for vacation, visiting family and business. He did not include a date or a destination. It was accepted and he received an A/P good for a full year.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
As I posted, DH put for vacation, visiting family and business. He did not include a date or a destination.
You probably want to get into the habit of quoting the person you're actually talking to... rather than whoever posted last! Love ya! Mean it!

Ian
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:30 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You probably want to get into the habit of quoting the person you're actually talking to... rather than whoever posted last! Love ya! Mean it!

Ian

Point well taken ... and back at ya!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

Last July, we planned a trip to Spain for October and made many of the arrangements. We mentioned to several people our plans to go to Spain. We just returned from our planned trip -- to Vietnam.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

Wirelessly posted (LG-GR500/V10f Teleca/Q7.0 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/6.3.1.17.0)

i left those questions blank. Ticked multiple. Added a copy of the i-485. They were happy i got advance parole soon after.