Can I enter US?

Old Mar 22nd 2017, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Prettyinpink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I enter US?

Hi!

I'm a British citizen living in the UK all my life, however I hold dual citizenship. I am a Libyan national.

If I travel to the US with my British passport, will I have any trouble entering? And do I need a visa for a 2 week visit?

thank you!
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 11:28 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I enter US?

Originally Posted by Prettyinpink
If I travel to the US with my British passport, will I have any trouble entering?
Probably not, but...

And do I need a visa for a 2 week visit?
... if you have visited Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria at any time since March 1, 2011, then you must apply for a B-2 visa even though you are a UKC and eligible to use ESTA/VWP.

If you have not been to any of these 4 countries, then you can use ESTA/VWP for your 2-week visit. Apply for ESTA here.

Ian
Old Mar 24th 2017, 3:26 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

There are actually 7 countries on the list. Have you visited Libya since March 1, 2011?

According to CBP, if you have been to Libya or a few other countries at all since March 1, 2011, you need a visa (with limited exceptions for government/military service).

"Under the Act, travelers in the following categories are no longer eligible to travel or be admitted to the United States under the VWP:

Nationals of VWP countries
who have traveled to or been present in Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia Sudan, Syria or Yemen on or after March 1, 2011"

Last edited by crg; Mar 24th 2017 at 5:10 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 3:37 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
There are actually 7 countries on the list. Have you visited Libya since March 1, 2011?

According to CBP, if you have been to Libya or a few other countries at all since March 1, 2001, you need a visa (with limited exceptions for government/military service).

"Under the Act, travelers in the following categories are no longer eligible to travel or be admitted to the United States under the VWP:

Nationals of VWP countries
who have traveled to or been present in Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia Sudan, Syria or Yemen on or after March 1, 2011"
Is that March 2001 or March 2011 ... you have both written
Old Mar 24th 2017, 5:11 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Is that March 2001 or March 2011 ... you have both written
Thanks for the catch. It's 2011 and I just edited it.