Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

A year in Hinsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

A year in Hinsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A year in Hinsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

LMAO
Fine by me!

Each to their own
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:48 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Torn between canada(cold for 6 months) or aus(hot for 12)
I was born and raised in Canada and unless you really like the cold then I'd go for australia. It really is cold and snowy for about 6 months of the year and if you don't do outdoor activities (skating, skiing, etc) then you really will be hibernating and bitching about the weather for most of the winter.

Originally Posted by sprintman
Most of Australia is NOT hot for 12 months unless you live in NT, Nth QLD or Nth WA. Canada you hibernate for 6 months, is that living or existing?
We've been in Brisbane for almost 2 years now and I can honestly say that the hot doesn't bother me that much. We have ducted air con which helps, and a pool which we love. The winter months are here are not that hot, mostly just nice with temperatures ranging from 12-25 during the day. So not that hot. I'd say in Brisbane it's fairly hot from about November to March and the rest of the year is more reasonable.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Good luck with the move back over here. Hope everything goes smoothly for you

Jacqui
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne via Belfast, Adelaide on 10th Sept!!
Rach25 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
Part ?

Hello again

It's the New Year and with that comes resolutions. Mine is to be back in Oz by September!!

I can't say how much i need to be back in Adelaide, in my old job with my old freedoms and my old responsibilities. We've made the decision and are putting the house on the market (wish us luck! GULP) We're going to end up having a huge financial lose but I just don't care! It's worth every penny. Life is way to short to worry about money that I can make again.

There is just soooo much opportunity for me in Oz and all I see here is a large box with very little space inside. I don't want to raise a family here, I don't want to teach here, I don't want to live here. It's not that I hate England because i don't and I know that i will miss it's beautiful countryside and history, it's that I feel like a completely different person when i'm here.

In Australia I was happy, confident, respected, flourishing and growing. I ran my own business part time, worked in a college training teachers, was writing a book (got 30,000 words through it too) and had loads of time to hang out with my then fiance and relax. Here all I have managed to do is work as a teacher and collapse at the end of term. I'm exhausted and I have achieved nothing! I haven't picked up my book! lol I can't even begin to describe how ridiculous being a teacher is here; nor is that particularly relevant. However, when in Australia I felt happy, relaxed and valued i deserve to feel like that again and sadly that won't happen whilst i'm living in England.

So now it all starts again! (lol) selling the house, shipping the stuff (and the cats this time!) and making the move more permanently. I can't wait!
Hey Mochinbach. You're just right, you need to take a chance in life and follow your instincts, btw I really appreciated your teaching thread especially as I'm in adelaide now! Gd luck with the house selling and relocation.... again!!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rach25
Hey Mochinbach. You're just right, you need to take a chance in life and follow your instincts, btw I really appreciated your teaching thread especially as I'm in adelaide now! Gd luck with the house selling and relocation.... again!!
Thank you both
House is officially for sale so here goes!!
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Great read girl
Hope it all works out

Torn between canada(cold for 6 months) or aus(hot for 12)
Huh? Where I lived winter lasted from the first week or so of December to the middle of March. Not quite the 6 months you quoted.
Originally Posted by sprintman
Most of Australia is NOT hot for 12 months unless you live in NT, Nth QLD or Nth WA. Canada you hibernate for 6 months, is that living or existing?
Again, huh? Do you think the country closes down for 6 months at a time?

Have either of you ever even been toCanada?

Thank you both
House is officially for sale so here goes!!
Glad your house is back for sale. Hope you don't lose too much on it and you can get back over here soon.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

LMAO take a chill pill
Canada is too cold for me be it 6 months 5 months 4 months etc etc=Too cold

DUH!!!

Your twisting the truth,canada dosent close down ,due to the reason they are geared up every year to handle bloody freezing cold times,cos they get em every year,yes or no?

Sorry about hijacking the thread,well dot did
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

andib is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Mochinbach;5551859]Part one!

I have just been reading your info and found it very interesting. We are in the process of emigrating and have always fancied Brisbane but after research changed to Adelaide. We are going on a trip on 4th July to spend a week in Darwin, 3 days in Adelaide and 4 days in Brisbane (state of origin final tickets purchased!!)

Obviously our time is limited in Adelaide, we are going to stay in Glenelg and do research on job and houses etc, could you give me any pointers as where to go and look.

Anyone out there can recommend anywhere to stay in Brisbane, we didnt really want to stay in a high tower hotel in the city although that may be an option if we dont get a car as we have to travel to suncorp twice and to ipswich, we were looking at Manly area.

Thanks
Old Jun 12th 2009, 5:13 pm
moe
Just Joined

moe is an unknown quantity at this point

so mochinbach are u back in adelaide then?

please tell us u r!!
moe
Old Jul 4th 2009, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moe
so mochinbach are u back in adelaide then?

please tell us u r!!
moe
NO not yuet but I have managed to sell my house (moving out in a couple of weeks) Just got to save back up so I can move out! Will be with you again in January
YAY!

I can't wait!

Andib: You're in Oz now!

If you're checking this (and I hope you're not! Go out and SEE IT! ) then we'd recommend West Beach / Henley Beach (That's where we lived) if you want to see the sea in the morning. Or ... we're thinking of buying over Sellicks Beach way It's next to the wine too Brighton seems to be the place most of the Ex pats have legged it to. Depends how you want to live when you get there. It's allll soooo beautiful in my opinion
Old Jul 5th 2009, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Great updates and good luck with the move back to Australia.

Gems
Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:36 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

NO not yuet but I have managed to sell my house (moving out in a couple of weeks) Just got to save back up so I can move out! Will be with you again in January
YAY!

I can't wait!

Andib: You're in Oz now!

If you're checking this (and I hope you're not! Go out and SEE IT! ) then we'd recommend West Beach / Henley Beach (That's where we lived) if you want to see the sea in the morning. Or ... we're thinking of buying over Sellicks Beach way It's next to the wine too Brighton seems to be the place most of the Ex pats have legged it to. Depends how you want to live when you get there. It's allll soooo beautiful in my opinion
Ah, just asked on the house thread when you are planning on going. We'd hope to be out by the end of August. If you'd fancy a partnership in smartboard training, let me know as I've done a fair bit in maths.

Good news about your house,
Cooler
Old Jan 4th 2010, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm back!

www.rockinmochin.com

Yay!