Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

A year in Hinsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

A year in Hinsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

Old Jan 27th 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A year in Hinsight (B'ham to Adelaide and back again)

We've been back nearly 3 months and we're both very sad, unsettled and unsure what to do! Nightmare!

We found a lovely house but still don't want to but it. Every one seems to be moving to Oz lol - even the people who are selling the house are off to Brisbane.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
We've been back nearly 3 months and we're both very sad, unsettled and unsure what to do! Nightmare!

We found a lovely house but still don't want to but it. Every one seems to be moving to Oz lol - even the people who are selling the house are off to Brisbane.
So sorry to hear that you are unsettled. You are in the right place to 'talk' about you worries. If you are having doubts, it's not too late to change your mind and go back.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 5:16 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, the experts are saying we are in for a good summer this year, why not wait a bit or even try the Dorset area which Is soooo nice, you can always go back if it does not work out....but dont ping pong if you can help it.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

lancs nurse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cas3
Hi Linloo...arriving in Adelaide in February...can't wait. Hopefully we'll meet on the beach..i have two Golden Retrievers. Three weeks holiday accomodation booked..biggest worry at mo is finding a six/twelve month pet friendly rental when my holiday rental finishes. Coming alone..gulp!!! Any tips..help very very welcome
Caroline
Hi Caroline spotted your post and was wondering how it all worked out for you. Tentively wondering about taking the plunge on my own also, would love to hear how things really are. thanks x Carolyn
Old Feb 17th 2008, 7:59 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm inclined to agree with others on this thread and suggest you try a summer before making any decisions. I remember the British winter all to well and remember how gleeful I was when it started to warm up and the sun started shining. Chin up.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

Wolfman is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'm inclined to agree with others on this thread and suggest you try a summer before making any decisions. I remember the British winter all to well and remember how gleeful I was when it started to warm up and the sun started shining. Chin up.
I agree, give yourself time, Great post, I always fancied Adelaide, but OH job in Brisbane (for now ) I would probably not buy a property yet until you are sure. Spring is just around the corner & I love this time of year in the UK.
Had the 1st of our many farewell 'dos' last night. didn;t really feel much to be honest as, even though we fly in 2 weeks, it still doesn;t seem real. Managed to stay sober so no alcoholic poisoning to wipe out today
We're here for a short time, nothing has to be forever, enjoy and embrace every opportunity you have given to you.

xx
Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

cas3 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lancs nurse
Hi Caroline spotted your post and was wondering how it all worked out for you. Tentively wondering about taking the plunge on my own also, would love to hear how things really are. thanks x Carolyn
Hi Carolyn (Lancs nurse)....i fly to Adelaide tomorrow so i'll let you know how i get on. No doubts at all...looking forward to it. Hardest part of the last few days has been saying goodbye to very good friends. Disaster...can't fit everything in my two suitcases so i have to dash out and buy another one tomorrow am...dread to think how much excess luggage i'll have to pay!!!!!!!
I'll keep you posted..lol Cas
Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:51 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cas3
Hi Carolyn (Lancs nurse)....i fly to Adelaide tomorrow so i'll let you know how i get on. No doubts at all...looking forward to it. Hardest part of the last few days has been saying goodbye to very good friends. Disaster...can't fit everything in my two suitcases so i have to dash out and buy another one tomorrow am...dread to think how much excess luggage i'll have to pay!!!!!!!
I'll keep you posted..lol Cas

Dont try and reduce your luggage, I had to pay an excess of £350 and got it down to £50 with my dad taking a suitcase back when I went 5 years ago
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:12 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
Dont try and reduce your luggage, I had to pay an excess of £350 and got it down to £50 with my dad taking a suitcase back when I went 5 years ago
Yes it's something like £35 per kilo over - per KILO!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:41 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Hey, the experts are saying we are in for a good summer this year, why not wait a bit.
You could wait years for a nice summer in the UK!!!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Dreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really niceDreamer is just really nice

While you're still unsure maybe it would be better to find somewhere to rent instead of buying. It would make it so much easier to go back to OZ if that's what you decide, without the bother of having to sell a house!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 6:48 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
You could wait years for a nice summer in the UK!!!

Since I have back the summers have been lovely, so much better than the oppressive heat of Perth
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Since I have back the summers have been lovely, so much better than the oppressive heat of Perth
Didn't we have the wettest summer since records began last year? The year before was lovely but chances of that happening again any summer soon are very slim.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Fly Away
Didn't we have the wettest summer since records began last year? The year before was lovely but chances of that happening again any summer soon are very slim.

Last summer had some great weeks even though we did have a lot of rain, ok it was the worse out of the last 5 summers I have been back but hey, I enjoyed them after Oz and the oppresive heat you do appriciate our weather.

Last edited by Backhomeatlast; Feb 18th 2008 at 9:02 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 1:36 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Last summer had some great weeks even though we did have a lot of rain, ok it was the worse out of the last 5 summers I have been back but hey, I enjoyed them after Oz and the oppresive heat you do appriciate our weather.
You're like a stuck record...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.