Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Old May 31st 2007, 7:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Funny how one person's idea of rude is different to others. If OP is happy and positive - excellent news People querying stuff didn't come across as rude to me but like I say, we're all different and see stuff differently.
Old May 31st 2007, 9:18 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Funny how one person's idea of rude is different to others. If OP is happy and positive - excellent news People querying stuff didn't come across as rude to me but like I say, we're all different and see stuff differently.
I agree and being understanding of peoples differences always makes life easier and makes you more compatible !!Nevermind it was a good post at the start !
Old May 31st 2007, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

ragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Hi all, I am just taking the first few tentative steps towards a new life in Brisbane. I think?
I have loads of questions and I hope you can all be patient with me if I show my ignorance.
I have heard that Queensland is having the biggest recruitment drive for 40 years and has a big shortage of trades people. I have also heard that there is a big mining and oil/gas industry in the Brisbane area.
Can anyone confirm this?
I am a plater/welder with oil experience as well as manufacturing experience as a quality technician. What are my chances of getting sponsorship or do I have to risk it and hope to get work when I arrive.
Whats the best area for heavy industry?
What sort of wage can I expect as a welder? and how does that compare with rental/house buying costs and cost of living.
I am thinking of loads more but will leave it there for now. Anyone willing to help out a hungry Geordie?

hello Ace

The answer to one or two of questions are :

The mining industry tends to be further up north in Queensland ,there is a shortage of trades here and the mining industry is one of the highest in demand.Queensland (especially Brisbane) is growing in population at a very fast rate (one of the highest in Australia).As far as wages is concerned i can't help you in your field but alot of trades in the Brisbane area are not as high as the UK but the mines up north are paying better money(but you can be in the middle of no where).To my knowledge at this time there are not alot of companies sponsoring but it may well change in time.
Sorry i am a bit vage on the answers but hopefully you will get someone from the oil/gas/mining industry on here soon.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:12 am

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

Have to say,found this thread very difficult to read.Cannot understand peoples suspicious and negative reactions to such a post.
I have been here 4 weeks and can also tell you which areas are ok to live in and which arent .I can do this because I talk to taxi drivers ,shop assisants,work collegues,mothers at the school,other BE members I have been in touch with etc etc.People here have been very,very helpful.
I also live in Brisbanes Northside, about ten mins further north than the OP.
I do not look at Oz through rose tinted glasses but do try to be postive and see the good in things, but believe me, I am a realist and not niave.
I access the internet at a local cafe and dont have it at home yet.Maybe the OP did the same.
I love Brisbane so far,but know I may not always feel this way.I do not see any point in starting off in a negative way-its cost too much for us(financial and emotional) for us to not give it a real go and take this opportunity given to us with both hands.
Good Luck OP .
Andy
Old Jun 1st 2007, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Of course you need to start out positively Andy, I totally agree, else why would you be here
Old Jun 1st 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=kathymarie;4723347]Hi there,

Driving licences are easy to change over. It takes 10 minutes at a centre with I.D and it is done.

Where do you go to change over your uk licence? Is there an office in Brisbane as well as on the Gold coast? Thanks
Old Jun 1st 2007, 10:46 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sa2uk2oz;4861576]
Originally Posted by kathymarie
Hi there,

Driving licences are easy to change over. It takes 10 minutes at a centre with I.D and it is done.

Where do you go to change over your uk licence? Is there an office in Brisbane as well as on the Gold coast? Thanks
Go to your nearest QLD Transport customer service centre.

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/Home...t_us/By_place/

Jane
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

trejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nicetrejon is just really nice

Well we have been here since 1990 and I spent a lot of time looking back on the UK through my rose tinted specs. We tried going back to the UK in 1999.
We lasted there 18 months and spent the whole time thinking about the dreadfull mistake we had made by going back. Needless to say we came back in Oct 2000. There are good and bad things about living anywhere. On the whole, we are better off living here in Brisbane than in Stafford. There's heaps of work out here and you don't get the feeling that you are being ripped off all the time like back in the UK. What I will say is that once you have made the move to over here it's very hard to readjust back to the UK. So........be warned............if you are happy with your lot in the UK don't waste your time looking for your eutopia somewhere else............BUT ........if like us 17 years ago, you are not happy with your life in the UK, get off your bum and motivate yourself into trying life somewhere else. Brisbane IS a great place to live......make no mistake about that!!
Old Jun 5th 2007, 6:27 am
Just Joined

kathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nicekathymarie is just really nice

Sorry to all those who have PM'd me. I have only just tried to read them and couldn't because I only had a two score. I will try to sort this and get back to you.

Regards
Kathymarie
Old Jun 7th 2007, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

tony Beaven is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Hi Kathymarie

just got in to Brisbane with the family on 3rd June and read your thread, could i possibly ask a couple of questions if i may.

we are currently looking for rental places, how long is carseldine by train to the city as this looks a good area and do you know anything about northgate?

where do you go to sort out the medicare as we also got a 136 visa

regards

Tony
Old Jun 8th 2007, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kathymarie
Hi there,

We bought cars from an auction which I highly recommend. We spent hours trawling through car sales in the area and bought from an auction that sold x police and company cars at half the price. I can give you details if you need them, just let me know.

Let me know if I can me of more help.
Yes please, that would be really helpful, thanks
Old Jun 8th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice

Originally Posted by tony Beaven
Hi Kathymarie

just got in to Brisbane with the family on 3rd June and read your thread, could i possibly ask a couple of questions if i may.

we are currently looking for rental places, how long is carseldine by train to the city as this looks a good area and do you know anything about northgate?

where do you go to sort out the medicare as we also got a 136 visa

regards

Tony

Just noticed your query - if you go to www.qr.com.au you can look at all the timetables which will give you an idea of how long the commute would be into the city from various suburbs.

Hope this helps.

Rachel
Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

You definitely can get jobs in pubs without Licenses, it's an unusual route, but it can be done. Comes down to personal contact. Having said that 90 pct of employees will have done a course.

If I were happy with a publican, or others I'd dealt with I'd be promoting them as well.

Good luck to the OP, I'm Aussie enough to give you a "fair go"

Old Jun 8th 2007, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

tony Beaven is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: What it is really like moving to Brisbane!!!!!!

Originally Posted by RachelH
Just noticed your query - if you go to www.qr.com.au you can look at all the timetables which will give you an idea of how long the commute would be into the city from various suburbs.

Hope this helps.

Rachel
YOU STAR!

thanks Rachel we will look into this site, bloody hell so much to do and worries of making sure enough money is coming into the household before the finances drain. I'm sure a lot of you have been there before.

good news is you guys and girls give us the support we need at this crucial stage in the biggest cultural move we will ever do so thanks very much.

kindest regards

Tony & mary Beaven and madeline (3) and charlie(5)
Old Jun 8th 2007, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

RachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really niceRachelH is just really nice

Originally Posted by tony Beaven

YOU STAR!

thanks Rachel we will look into this site, bloody hell so much to do and worries of making sure enough money is coming into the household before the finances drain. I'm sure a lot of you have been there before.

good news is you guys and girls give us the support we need at this crucial stage in the biggest cultural move we will ever do so thanks very much.

kindest regards

Tony & mary Beaven and madeline (3) and charlie(5)
no worries Tony - I am still in the UK though! Just go crazy on the research as OH is paranoid about commuting times.........I've got a Charlie too only I'm married to him, and a Madeleine (6 months!)....oh and a couple of twin boys but the less said about them the better!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.