Sydney - Two weeks in!!

Old Apr 15th 2008, 3:39 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney - Two weeks in!!

Originally Posted by asher
Paddy it sounds as though things are slotting in to place nicely for you, good luck with the manly apartment,

I liked manly a lot but felt it was a bit too crowded at weekends in the summer I prefer Cronulla which is similar but a cheaper area and a bit further out

You are right your wife is the one who will really live in the apartment so it is good for her to be happy in it. Enjoy yourselves
Yeah, Cronulla is nice but the distance killed it for me, but you never know, we may get a bit fed up of the glitz of Manly!!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by paddyo
The relocation agent chosen by my company was Australia Wide Relocations, just add .com to that name and thats their website.
THANKS!!! unless you want me to pay your wife and she can be my relocation agent...haha, might as well get paid for your knowledge!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:41 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharonm5
THANKS!!! unless you want me to pay your wife and she can be my relocation agent...haha, might as well get paid for your knowledge!
You may jest but she did mention that. What better way to get sorted in a new city than to have a fellow ex pat showing you around and knowing how the rental market works over here. Lucky she has a satnav, she gets lost going round the corner!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice

Paddyo,

can i ask..are you working in Sydney city centre??

if so..how long does it take you to get in from Manly?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:25 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah
Paddyo,

can i ask..are you working in Sydney city centre??

if so..how long does it take you to get in from Manly?
I am working in Wooloomooloo on Garden Island, the navy yard. Bearing in mind my apartment is literally yards from Manly ferry its the half hour ferry, or 15 mins jetcat, plus the 15 min walk. There are plenty of buses/trains into the centre of the CBD if you would rather not walk.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 7:37 pm
Account Closed

aglassofwinehelps is an unknown quantity at this point

For Paddington the Eastern Suburbs will be the quickest for commuting, seriously check out Raleigh Park in Kensington if any places are available, it is superb. But , come on, its Sydney!!! Gotta be a beach place hasn't it!!! And catching a ferry into work taking a half hour, or 15 mins by jetcat, cruise every morning just sounds soooo good!!
From Manly to Paddington would be 1 hour max at peak time, which includes half hour on the ferry drinking coffee and reading the morning papers!! Sexual chocolate!!
Sexual Chocolate indeed, sounds just fab! Glad you and Mrs paddyo have settled in. Going to check out the places you recommend.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:08 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by aglassofwinehelps
Sexual Chocolate indeed, sounds just fab! Glad you and Mrs paddyo have settled in. Going to check out the places you recommend.
Sure, if you want any newbie advice just let me know!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

aglassofwinehelps is an unknown quantity at this point

Sure, if you want any newbie advice just let me know!
Aw, thanks. Hopefully the Visa is around the corner for us and then we book the flights to validate. I did take a look at Manly, superb and pricey But you know, I agree, it's the whole lifestyle thing that attracts us and sitting on the 7.08 from Marylebone this morning couldn't possibly compare to a latte onboard a ferry in the bright sunshine!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:26 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by aglassofwinehelps
Aw, thanks. Hopefully the Visa is around the corner for us and then we book the flights to validate. I did take a look at Manly, superb and pricey But you know, I agree, it's the whole lifestyle thing that attracts us and sitting on the 7.08 from Marylebone this morning couldn't possibly compare to a latte onboard a ferry in the bright sunshine!
Exactement mon ami!!!!

The way we see it, if it becomes to expensive and we are suffering financially then we'll just move inland a bit. We could get exactly the same property for $400pw vice the $700pw we are paying but then we wouldn't have the location or view!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:30 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

For Paddington the Eastern Suburbs will be the quickest for commuting, seriously check out Raleigh Park in Kensington if any places are available, it is superb. But , come on, its Sydney!!! Gotta be a beach place hasn't it!!! And catching a ferry into work taking a half hour, or 15 mins by jetcat, cruise every morning just sounds soooo good!!
From Manly to Paddington would be 1 hour max at peak time, which includes half hour on the ferry drinking coffee and reading the morning papers!! Sexual chocolate!!
I lived in Raleigh Park for a while. Fabulous place. Our apartment was on the 10th floor with grandstand views of the city and backed onto Moore Park golf course. Its only 10mins drive to Coogee beach too!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 12:56 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I lived in Raleigh Park for a while. Fabulous place. Our apartment was on the 10th floor with grandstand views of the city and backed onto Moore Park golf course. Its only 10mins drive to Coogee beach too!
My wife went to view one like that, similar position and aspect, stunning size and quality of fittings. But could only get a 6 month lease which was no good for us. If we get fed up of Manly then we may look again and move when one comes up, it ticks all the boxes for most I would say.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Jaidee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Russ,

No worries, you will not necessarily have to contend with the spitbridge...............ye still set on Manly then?

Jaidee
Old May 9th 2008, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Paddyo, hows things? please give us an update!
Old May 10th 2008, 2:11 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by sharonm5
Paddyo, hows things? please give us an update!
Things are groovy!!! Now been here 6 weeks and living in our great apartment in Manly, a 2 bed at $700 pw but very nice spec and great views. Manly is a great place and has everything that seduced us to coming out here in the first place.
I commute to Garden Island which is a 30 min ferry trip and then a 20 min stroll through the Domain.
Our lad is in a great child care centre, run by a lovely Scottish lady so we all understand each other and our expectations. Kelly is now looking for a job, had 2 extremely positive interviews yesterday at my company (who said nepotism is a bad thing!!).
Still awaiting our furniture but company provided us with some temp furniture which was great and we have already bought a new LCD HD TV, a Side by side Fridge freezer and a new bed for our son as well as a futon for his room and potential guests.
Find ourselves eating out 2 or 3 times a week, lots of places are kids eat free. Really getting into asian food, I liked it before but now I LOVE it!!!
People are really friendly and Kelly has already made some friends through kids playing etc and they have taken her out and about to playgrounds and mothers groups. No animosity or barriers towards begin brits at all, in fact every time we go out there are a lot of other brits here.
Its autumn but 23-25 degrees in the sun, lots to do and we haven't even touched the sides of exploring the local area yet! haven't even needed a car yet!
Old May 10th 2008, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

Things are groovy!!! Now been here 6 weeks and living in our great apartment in Manly, a 2 bed at $700 pw but very nice spec and great views. Manly is a great place and has everything that seduced us to coming out here in the first place.
I commute to Garden Island which is a 30 min ferry trip and then a 20 min stroll through the Domain.
Our lad is in a great child care centre, run by a lovely Scottish lady so we all understand each other and our expectations. Kelly is now looking for a job, had 2 extremely positive interviews yesterday at my company (who said nepotism is a bad thing!!).
Still awaiting our furniture but company provided us with some temp furniture which was great and we have already bought a new LCD HD TV, a Side by side Fridge freezer and a new bed for our son as well as a futon for his room and potential guests.
Find ourselves eating out 2 or 3 times a week, lots of places are kids eat free. Really getting into asian food, I liked it before but now I LOVE it!!!
People are really friendly and Kelly has already made some friends through kids playing etc and they have taken her out and about to playgrounds and mothers groups. No animosity or barriers towards begin brits at all, in fact every time we go out there are a lot of other brits here.
Its autumn but 23-25 degrees in the sun, lots to do and we haven't even touched the sides of exploring the local area yet! haven't even needed a car yet!
great stuff, glad that you settling in well. I am off for my xrays next tuesday and then its just a waiting game I suppose - although my new work is pretty sure that I will be there beginning of July (GULP!!!)...I think they are purposefully ignoring the fact that I want to go on holiday enroute for 2 weeks, actually thinking of finishing earlier with my current work, pack the house up and just bum around europe for a few weeks, and then just sitting on a beach in Thailand for another 2 weeks, as having only 20 days leave/yr in Oz is a shocker of note (when I have 31 at the mo!)

I have slowly started to pack non-essential things up, so have boxes everywhere, but we having lovely weather here, so always finding an excuse not to pack, or do 5yrs worth of paper work...ooops!

What do you think of Woolloomooloo as a place to live - will I have views over the Naval base with loads of hot sailors running about? huh...hehe?

When does you better half find out about the interviews, and great that you making friends and the little one is settled in well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.