Reload this Page >

Harder than I thought 3 months on living in Brisbane

Harder than I thought 3 months on living in Brisbane

Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Harder than I thought 3 months on living in Brisbane

Originally Posted by Thebigh
We did look into the medicare and reciprocal arrangements with the NHS, this only applies if you are still a resident of the uk and so long as you are not out of the country for more than 3 months. see the article below.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...ArticleId=1963

there are a number of visitors health insurance packages you can of course take out, the price varies as does the cover but for a family package it works out about $3700 per year.

Once you are a permanent resident you can then transfer into the medicare scheme but under a business visa class 163 you are temporary for up to 4 years
Hi there

We are on 163 visa too and had no problems signing up for Medicare (despite thinking initially that we couldn't and that we had to sign up for private healthcare). Had to use it in our first year here when my son launched himself off the TV unit and broke his leg! Three years on we still haven't taken out private health insurance and neither have several other business visa holders that we know, we all use Medicare should we need to.

Hope this may save you a bit of money!

Best wishes.

Sam
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

leew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the roughleew1019 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Stitch
That was kinda bordering on the inspirational. We have been in Brisbane just over a year now and although it's not all that bad it has been tougher than I thought. We are seriously thinking about moving to Townsville as we would have a better chance of getting our own home etc. I think deep down I know we should stick it out but sometimes when I think about the UK our struggle was a lot, lot less.

Cheers

Ginny
Hi stitch , where about on bayside are you we are also from dundee and are livingin redland bay , moved here feb 07 , also found it harder that we thought , but are giving it a go working hard and getting out and about as much as possible , give us a shout and we can talk aboot pies haha and whos better united or dundee (united is the correct answer haha )
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

maria and dom has a brilliant futuremaria and dom has a brilliant futuremaria and dom has a brilliant futuremaria and dom has a brilliant futuremaria and dom has a brilliant futuremaria and dom has a brilliant futuremaria and dom has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Hey neighbour
we've just moved from scotland to cold glen waverley,
hi margaret
Im a nurse also but not working at the moment leaving all that to the oh I tried to pm you but couldn't hope to talk to you soon
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leew1019
Hi stitch , where about on bayside are you we are also from dundee and are livingin redland bay , moved here feb 07 , also found it harder that we thought , but are giving it a go working hard and getting out and about as much as possible , give us a shout and we can talk aboot pies haha and whos better united or dundee (united is the correct answer haha )

even i know its united (so my bros tells me, lol)
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:47 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leew1019
Just spotted this! Wow someone else fae Dundee!! We're in Manly West so not that far....PM me if you fancy meeting up sometime.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:47 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
even i know its united (so my bros tells me, lol)
I wis thinking it wis the grand olde team oh Dundee!!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond reputesdunx has a reputation beyond repute

G.day boys and girls. My wife and I spent a lot of time reading the forums before planning our trip down under. We planned for years to make the move after my wife had spent 9 months on a working visa here, three holidays and research trips and I was sold the idea.

We sold it to our kids too...17, 15 and 13...we looked at our lives in the most beautiful part of the UK in Devon and said "its great in our large house looking over to Dartmoor but how are our kids going to afford a house here, get a worthwhile paid job that gives them satisfaction in what they do without moving....".

There is not a great deal of well paid jobs in Devon, crime is on the up and I was struggling to find paid employment after running my own businesses for 15 years.

Did not t feel that I could afford to buy/create another business and risk losing what I had already got. With so many years of experience at managing business and people and no recent qualifications we thought "hey, life is short....lets do it...lets try for new life and opportunity down under where our money will spread a little further and our kids could experience a different life and hopefully have a better chance at the future. Oz is booming with jobs and opportunity.

Without permanent visas, we have 4 years to buy/make a business turn a profit and employment of Ozzies and apply for residency visas for those that have not looked at this before. As we have no permanent status, we have to pay for everything....no home in the uk...no nhs reciprocal arrangement no medicare as such.... we will have to pay for our daughters university fees...we get no family taxation benefits ?

We arrived her on the 16 April 2007 after a very long and expensive progression through the business visa 463 application, house unsold and loan in the bank to tied us over until the house was sold. We sold or gave away all the furniture that we had collected over the years, chucked all those accumulated nick naks. A bit of a gamble but the house is now under offer......

But hey, were still doing it...

So we are here....
Lets get on with it...get the kids into the best school we can find that matches my kids high UK academic achievements...

Rent a house....buy a car....get some second hand equipment like fridges etc.

Wife gets a low paid job eventually...me I can’t....I have to sign on with agencies for temp work until we can find a business and I have the money. Its not that easy....the work is poorly paid, its sporadic and although applying for s*** jobs.....they don't want to know. Yet I am honestly the most flexible and adaptable person going with a range of practical, physical and admin skills going ?? whinge..

Anyway..life goes on, its not a problem. The sun is shining every day whilst it tiddles down back in the UK. We have already done all the theme park stuff, we have walked on the glorious beaches...got lost in Mount mee state forest whilst 4wd ing, scary but fun..lesson learnt there.

Youngest daughter back doing horse riding lessons over here....loving it.

Eldest struggled at first with school because we came her at such an awkward time in her education and really did not want to come here in the first place when her mind was set on UK university. But, paid for lessons from a trainee teacher and she is back up to top of the class and she really loves it here.

My son (15)...the most positive one about coming here is the problem.....he has tried really hard to fit in, but can't. He was a bit of a legend back in school in the UK. He is a mature, well built lad with a great personality. Well into 'freeriding' downhill biking and always up for a challenge, had got a massive group of friends who still tell him how much they miss him.. He just can't make friends here at school, quite a few friends outside that he hangs with but misses his mates in the UK and now his self confidence is taking a knock. 10 weeks in and all he wants to do is go home...does not want to go too school and hates everthing about it.

As for the super friendly Ozzies, well we have struggled a bit too. We have family here...that helps but no one seems to do anything but work...drink beer till they fall over or indulge in rock n roll dancing at the geriatric clubs !!!
Talking to people at the various work places I have been at, they all seem to want to go to europe ???
When the Ozzies hear the english accent..and I can't help that...there seems to be a barrier that goes up. The most friendly people I have spoken to so far are the South African business people who have told me how hard it has been to get up and running....

Sorry guys......don't meen to be so negative but seeing my son go so disheartened and dejected to school is breaking my heart and I wonder what the hell we have done......does that make any sense to you guys.

Does it get better than this ? are we just going through a pain barrier.
you definitely need a break, keep at it and it will happen, whereabouts in Devon are you from? I'm from Plymouth and my wife is from Modbury. Pig and Whistle meet will be good maybe see you there
Old Aug 6th 2007, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that things are a little tough. Have you considered joining community groups like Rotary or Lions club? Good for networking as well as the community
Old Aug 6th 2007, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

newlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nicenewlife_downunder is just really nice

Just read your post and really feel for you and your family. OH and I are only just at the beginning stages of the visa application. We are so looking forward to a new life in Brissie, there is not much doubt in our minds, however it is a bit scary if you have no job and nothing seems to be forthcoming.
All I can say is stick with it. It is going to take time to adapt to the ozzie way of life.
Best wishes
Old Aug 16th 2007, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

shazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sdunx
you definitely need a break, keep at it and it will happen, whereabouts in Devon are you from? I'm from Plymouth and my wife is from Modbury. Pig and Whistle meet will be good maybe see you there
HI SORRY TO HEAR THINGS ARENT TO GREAT.COULD YOU GIVE AN UPDATE OF THINGS NOW.WERE HOPING TO MOVE TO BRISSY IN SEPTEMBER.CAN YOU RECOMMEND ANY GOOD SCHOOLS COMING WITH A 16YR OLD SON..WHERE ABOUTS ARE YOU LIVING?
HOPE THINGS ARE PICKING UP FOR YOU ALL
TAKE CARE SHARON
Old Aug 17th 2007, 7:36 am
Just Joined

jimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant future

hi shazza, weve been here since april its been astruggle but doing ok. wat part of gold coast are you moving to? we are near wet and wild, i have 2 boys they go to helenvale high they are 12 and 15. let me no if you need any imformation on this area.julie
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the roughshazza is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jimjus
hi shazza, weve been here since april its been astruggle but doing ok. wat part of gold coast are you moving to? we are near wet and wild, i have 2 boys they go to helenvale high they are 12 and 15. let me no if you need any imformation on this area.julie
hi julie.thanx. were moving to brisbane but going to find a rental whilst there.could you tell me if yr11 and yr 12 sit formal highers/A levels.hope the boys are settling in well and your all doing ok
sharon x
Old Aug 17th 2007, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

jimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant futurejimjus has a brilliant future

hi shazza, my older boy is in year 11, and they do lots of assignments and tests but they also do different types of work experience. if your at the higher end of the class coming over here with a"s and b"s they see if you want to do O,PS WHICH I THINK ARE LIKE ALEVELS. that is what they encourage them to do if they want to go to univ . has you son ginished his last year g.c.s.e.s? my son came here thinking of doing uni but changed his mind and is doing building instead . its very hard for teenagers to come in through the middle of the as its so different but they manage. the harder thing was leaving there friends at that age, he also was a legend with the girls and has found it realy hard , but has some nice friends here and it gets better by the week . good luck julie
Old Aug 19th 2007, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

hi thanx for that julie.my son has just passed 8 gcse.hes really looking forward to the move however he wants to do the uni thing and study 1T. so will have to do exams for this equivalent to our highers.
hope your all doing well
take care sharonx
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:06 am
Just Joined

jilla411 is a name known to alljilla411 is a name known to alljilla411 is a name known to alljilla411 is a name known to alljilla411 is a name known to alljilla411 is a name known to alljilla411 is a name known to alljilla411 is a name known to alljilla411 is a name known to alljilla411 is a name known to alljilla411 is a name known to all

G.day boys and girls. My wife and I spent a lot of time reading the forums before planning our trip down under. We planned for years to make the move after my wife had spent 9 months on a working visa here, three holidays and research trips and I was sold the idea.

We sold it to our kids too...17, 15 and 13...we looked at our lives in the most beautiful part of the UK in Devon and said "its great in our large house looking over to Dartmoor but how are our kids going to afford a house here, get a worthwhile paid job that gives them satisfaction in what they do without moving....".

There is not a great deal of well paid jobs in Devon, crime is on the up and I was struggling to find paid employment after running my own businesses for 15 years.

Did not t feel that I could afford to buy/create another business and risk losing what I had already got. With so many years of experience at managing business and people and no recent qualifications we thought "hey, life is short....lets do it...lets try for new life and opportunity down under where our money will spread a little further and our kids could experience a different life and hopefully have a better chance at the future. Oz is booming with jobs and opportunity.

Without permanent visas, we have 4 years to buy/make a business turn a profit and employment of Ozzies and apply for residency visas for those that have not looked at this before. As we have no permanent status, we have to pay for everything....no home in the uk...no nhs reciprocal arrangement no medicare as such.... we will have to pay for our daughters university fees...we get no family taxation benefits ?

We arrived her on the 16 April 2007 after a very long and expensive progression through the business visa 463 application, house unsold and loan in the bank to tied us over until the house was sold. We sold or gave away all the furniture that we had collected over the years, chucked all those accumulated nick naks. A bit of a gamble but the house is now under offer......

But hey, were still doing it...

So we are here....
Lets get on with it...get the kids into the best school we can find that matches my kids high UK academic achievements...

Rent a house....buy a car....get some second hand equipment like fridges etc.

Wife gets a low paid job eventually...me I can’t....I have to sign on with agencies for temp work until we can find a business and I have the money. Its not that easy....the work is poorly paid, its sporadic and although applying for s*** jobs.....they don't want to know. Yet I am honestly the most flexible and adaptable person going with a range of practical, physical and admin skills going ?? whinge..

Anyway..life goes on, its not a problem. The sun is shining every day whilst it tiddles down back in the UK. We have already done all the theme park stuff, we have walked on the glorious beaches...got lost in Mount mee state forest whilst 4wd ing, scary but fun..lesson learnt there.

Youngest daughter back doing horse riding lessons over here....loving it.

Eldest struggled at first with school because we came her at such an awkward time in her education and really did not want to come here in the first place when her mind was set on UK university. But, paid for lessons from a trainee teacher and she is back up to top of the class and she really loves it here.

My son (15)...the most positive one about coming here is the problem.....he has tried really hard to fit in, but can't. He was a bit of a legend back in school in the UK. He is a mature, well built lad with a great personality. Well into 'freeriding' downhill biking and always up for a challenge, had got a massive group of friends who still tell him how much they miss him.. He just can't make friends here at school, quite a few friends outside that he hangs with but misses his mates in the UK and now his self confidence is taking a knock. 10 weeks in and all he wants to do is go home...does not want to go too school and hates everthing about it.

As for the super friendly Ozzies, well we have struggled a bit too. We have family here...that helps but no one seems to do anything but work...drink beer till they fall over or indulge in rock n roll dancing at the geriatric clubs !!!
Talking to people at the various work places I have been at, they all seem to want to go to europe ???
When the Ozzies hear the english accent..and I can't help that...there seems to be a barrier that goes up. The most friendly people I have spoken to so far are the South African business people who have told me how hard it has been to get up and running....

Sorry guys......don't meen to be so negative but seeing my son go so disheartened and dejected to school is breaking my heart and I wonder what the hell we have done......does that make any sense to you guys.

Does it get better than this ? are we just going through a pain barrier.
My son is also 15 and we arrived in Mackay at the end of May so have been here 3 months,he too his going through the same things.Back home he was never in he,d come home from school do his homework and he,d be out with his mates who were a good bunch of lads,he was in the local footy team ,did bmx riding and had a great social life.Over here is stays in all the time,does no sports.Occassionally going to a party the odd weekend.I feel as though i have ruined his life and it,s tearing me apart.I,m considering sending him home to start back at school and following when things are sorted over here.Good luck with your son, i know how you feel and how hard it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.