Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

11 months in Oz and we are out of here (thank god!)

11 months in Oz and we are out of here (thank god!)

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:28 pm
Banned

sprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant futuresprintman has a brilliant future
Default Re: 11 months in Oz and we are out of here (thank god!)

More silly generalisations. Mexicans are understood to be the worst drivers in Oz.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:01 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin747
Your grammar isn't very good is it?
lol the irony - this is so funny!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:02 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sprintman
More silly generalisations. Mexicans are understood to be the worst drivers in Oz.
I think they're all bad (everybody)

Well, apart from me hee hee
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:36 am
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

You sort of new Australia wouldn't be home before you even left judging by your old thread on why you cancelled your previous move.....

I believe where ever you are born is engraved into your soul...meaning there will always be a tiny part of you that misses home.

Anyway you had an adventure....you got that urge out of your system and you won't have to regret not 'trying' it...Just another country on your life's resume!

Cheers
Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:45 am

Wise words - even for a monkey
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by LayaboutSi
British roads are brilliant. I can park my car for free on any of the motorways at any time. And as 50mph is the new 70 on all major routes, I can enjoy an extra 30 minutes on top of my 180 minute daily commute to admire the grey and miserable skyline and all the glum faces around me.

Oh yeh, and its full of Brits. And Aussies and Kiwis and representatives of pretty much every other country on earth. That is the world we live in today. Thankfully, we do live in a multicultural society - otherwise I would have to deal with the bad manners and laziness of many of the Brits all the time.
The fact that Australia hosts lots of nationalities but expects them to be Australian first is not multiculturalism - thank god. Multiculturalism is different and doesn't work (see France, Germany, UK). Hopefully Oz will not give in to this failed idea.

But that is one of the only things that I like about Oz so far. Its advertised as this great outdoor life but all Ozzies seem to go from one air conditioned building to another or to an air conditioned vehicle. The busiest places in summer are not the beaches but the malls. I though the UK had an obesity problem but the number of fast food outlets here surpasses the US and it shows when you see the people waddling round those malls.

But then again, there is nothing to do here in Perth. No art, culture, decent scenery (apart from the swan). And its so bloody expensive. Compares with London in prices of food and drink.

And the roads. What's the point of having all this space if you can only drive at 60mph. Give me the M1 and English country roads anyday.. At least there is some scenery even if the sky is grey. Better than looking at another bed showroom, a chicken treat/red rooster/McDonalds/Hungry Jacks or a car showroom. And I could circle the M25 in the time it takes some traffic lights to do full cycle in Perth.

And Foxtel. 15 years behind the times like many other things in Perth. They say WA = wait awhile. A ***** long while I can tell you.

ps I've been here 3 months and the dogs love it
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:56 am
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

hmm, people seem to have too high expectations of Australia, everything is so far apart which means everything is completely different....All cities have their pros and cons.....But really Australia is a country like anywhere else, You cant come here and expect to lie on the beach all day, get all your favourite British programs, live 'cheap' etc etc etc...
Old Feb 18th 2009, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Spilko:Had a good giggle at your post because its true!haha I've lived in Oz for a long time so know where you're coming from.Layabout:Was it your choice to drive a 180 minute trip to work?If so,please don't whinge about it.Maybe look for a job thats closer to home?Sky grey?I seem to recall many days in my 30 years in Oz the sky was grey.Look on the bright side,atleast we have rain!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 9:53 am

Think you just about hit the nail on the head Spiko
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by S E A N
I believe where ever you are born is engraved into your soul...meaning there will always be a tiny part of you that misses home.
Do you know the funny thing is we lived in Germany for 8 years before we went to Oz and are now back in Germany. I was born in the UK and lived there until I was in my 30's. Its definitely not engraved on my soul. Germany feels like home. I go to the uk 4-5 time a year (business) and I am always glad to leave.

The thing with living in continental Europe is it always feels special and different - you never feel entirely comfortable. Australia felt almost immediately familiar and to be honest much worse than the UK for mall the reasons I mentioned.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

Thanks Martin. Both threads are useful reads for me. We're just beginning the process of coming to a decision on whether to migrate and I think it would be easy to forget about the good things you leave behind - the smaller things not like family and friends. We'll definately take a subjective look at what's good about living here. Though I'll still probably subconciously engineer a longer list number 2

We lived in Oz for nine months so we're under no illusion it's a land of milk and honey but since coming back we've tried living back in the north east which is 'home' and the south of England. Neither have made us as happy as we were there.

Some good food for thought even if I don't agree with most of your reasons
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:43 am

I'll never feel that Oz is home, it's just too different here (not that i was expecting it to be similar in any way, shape or form).

Home for me will always be Scotland and ultimately, eventually i will return to Scotland and live there the rest of my life and i know for definate i will not be spending the rest of my life in Oz.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Mary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MartinH
You would have to say that when I wrote a post back on 22nd September 2005 about the reasons why we decided not to move to Australia
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327415
Little did I realise what was to unravel over the next three years that brings us to today.

Having dialled ourselves back into our lives, things went very quiet for a couple of years. The children went to school and we moved into a new house. But the thoughts about moving to Australia hadn’t really left me.

Two things I should have done point were:

a. Go back and read the note that I wrote in 2005: and
b. Go back and read it again.

Here is the first piece of advice I will give anyone moving to Australia. Make a list. In fact make two lists:

List One: Things that are good about my life at the moment (and things I will REALLY miss when I no longer have them).

List Two: Things I expect Australia will give me (don’t be vague by listing things such as “a better life for my children”) try and be specific as possible.
Next step is simple.

Put the list side by side and if list two is not significantly longer than list one, don’t commit to a move.

There is one exception to the rule. If you have more money than sense then make the move anyway because it’s easy to go back if things don’t work out.

Back to the story.

Wanting to live in Australia never really went away but unfortunately, although I had pretty much completed List One (in that famous mail) I have never completed List Two (of course when I was asked I would loudly proclaim a desire for a chilled lifestyle – whatever that is – and warm sunny days lazing by the beach). Anyway, much internal discussion in the family and lots of disagreement and two years after having planned to move we were again planning.

After a short trip to Sydney in October 2007 we confirmed all our arrangements and on 31 January 2007 we arrived in Sydney. Although we settled in very quickly (you can read my update on here), I / we have quickly come to the conclusion that Australia is not for us and on 24th November 2008 I boarded a plane out of Australia (most probably) never to return. My family have dealt with all the other things (including selling the house) and are now also on their way.

So what are the things that are driving us away? Well here goes (you may choose to disagree but these are my own personal thoughts).

1. Australia is not a subtle country. While it has its fair selection of expensive this and expensive that, it is all largely a façade. Australia is like Ratners shiny & sparkly, but once you scrape the surface a little there is no depth and its all a bit tat.

2. It’s full of Brits. When will Brits ever get over the fact that replica football shirts are NOT a positive fashion statement?

3. Australians can’t build houses. For the amount of money you need to spend on a house, it might be reasonable to expect that it does some basic house like things …….like keep warm. Australian houses do not do this because they seem to be under the mistaken belief that Australia is a hot country. It isn’t. Especially not in the middle of winter when temperatures fall to 2-3 deg. overnight. Don’t throw your winter warmers away.

4. Australian roads are terrible (but the driving is worse). Driving in England is bad but Australians are coming close as regards road rage and generally poor standards (here’s a thought when you are in a lane why not stay there for a while rather than swerving this way and that to gain 10 metres, causing irritation to everyone else on the road). But the best bit is the religious policing and especially the double demerits during holidays. If you enjoy your driving, Australia is not the place for you.

5. Australia is a long way from anywhere. Obvious I know however until you are here you don’t really get the right feel for it.

6. Australia is crowded. How ridiculous is that statement? Well, it’s true. If you live in one of the major cities, your morning commute to work will be just as bad as any other big city in the world. In addition (and I can only comment on Sydney), the public transport is average at best. And it’s not always air-conditioned.

7. Bugs. Big ones. Ones that make a hell of a splat when you squish them. I wouldn’t over emphasise this because you won’t see them every day but you will need to get used to big bugs. Nothing like a huntsman in your car to give your heart a kick start first thing in the morning.

8. Sport. You can buy yourself a foxtel IQ box to record the footy on a Saturday but it’s not the same as watching it live. I (personally) don’t like the rugby, cricket or Aussie rules (you might) but personally I want to be in the European time-zone. Oh and here another thing – can the Aussies please get over giving EVERY team a nickname (Wallabies, Kookaburra’s, Kangaroo’s – I could go on)

9. Food prices. Expensive. Especially fresh produce. That is the consequence of the monopoly that is Coles and Woolworths.

10. Politics. Kevin Rudd seems like a decent enough chap but can you believe the shambles that is the NSW government? Here is a government which has been relying on ever increasing house prices for funding (through stamp duty). Now how the hell is that consistent with anything approaching social responsibility?

There are other issues but those are the main ones.

So you will get the feeling that I don’t like Australia – I don’t. If you are happy just to enjoy the beaches then good on you, you are coming to the right place.

I am glad I came, no seriously I am. Because if I hadn’t I would have spent years and years annoying the family. It’s been an expensive learning exercise but I am so glad to be away.

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!! Well done, a great post.

It's only now that i'm 'home' that i can fully appreciate the life i had before.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mary1967UK
I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!! Well done, a great post.

It's only now that i'm 'home' that i can fully appreciate the life i had before.
Hi Mary, how long have you been home now? What were your main pet hates about Oz?
Old Mar 8th 2009, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

UncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud ofUncleKev has much to be proud of

I read your original post and agree with most of your comments.

At the end of the day, some people are not suited to living in an alien environment, and other people thrive on the challenges and the differences.

I must admit that after moving my family back and forth between New Zealand, Victoria, Canberra, Edinburgh, Norwich, Canberra, back to UK (Milton Keynes then Reading), and then back to Brisbane (too hot and humid), and finally to Canberra, I know all about the grass being greener on the other side of the street, and then when you get there its actually a shade of brown.

I still dream of heading back to the UK, mainly because I like to visit France and inflict the natives there with my very bad attempts at speaking their language.

However every now and then I see something like the following link that reminds me that things are not really that bad in Canberra, that I would want to rush back to the cultural and architectural mecca that is Britain under Nu-Labour.

Check out the great images of London in the following blog.

http://youyouidiot.blogspot.com/

Last edited by UncleKev; Mar 8th 2009 at 12:21 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.