Reload this Page >

Turkey is not in Europe!

Turkey is not in Europe!

Old Sep 29th 2012, 6:46 am
UK Expat Turkey

ozsubasi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Turkey is not in Europe!

Originally Posted by Budawang
Having just spent almost a month in Turkey, I don't consider Turkey to be part of Europe. From the moment you arrive, it clearly has a very different feeling than European countries with the exception of some tourist enclaves I guess. For a start religion has an important and growing influence over society. It's clearly a very masculine society as well - this was particularly noticeable coming from Italy.
Well it does depend on where you went. Yes Turkey does have a different feel but isn't that the whole point? That it is the meeting point between Asia and Europe, and that it overlaps? Some areas are more western orientated than others. My own experience (which is limited to where I live) is that religion does not play a major part in society and is not growing in influence. The local people I know are more nationalistic than religious.
But yes it is a very masculine society, even in a tourist area such as this.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 10:24 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinIFO
Its mean
Turkey not in Europe or not part of Europe? %10 only! all bullshit If someone comment or complaint about Turkish public I can understand But WHO decide borders and named Euro zone, you part u not?
If there is a exact border, why non stop change and move Euro borders? why they enlarge every few years to the east and south ?
So who knows? 1 day even Israel will be join and may part of Europe?
Well all we know bit geography, where is the location of Cyprus even not close to Europe but Turkey does! Istanbul! Canakkale region all British know very well a specially Canakkale. Lets talk bit about west side of Turkey! did any body been there? I been and I love it all museums antique Ephesus sites only these lands prove Turkey real part of central Europe and share with Greece, not a bullshit north Russian ex-states!!! Sorry if I bit bothered anybody with my comment but I believe all is true Thanks all understanding Bye
it is my belief the EU is one giant Ponzi scheme
they have to keep bringing in more countries to keep on distributing funds to those already members.

not bad scheme as they havent been able to pass an audit for about 16 years, and sacked the auditor who had the nerve to tell them they had failed.
but its alright cos they will just print some more "Bin Laden" €500 notes.

another comparison is a company that grows by acquisition, usually there is little or no organic growth, every year or so they buy a new company with borrowed money to increase the turnover, whilst the profits fall as they have to service the debts.

hth
Old Oct 1st 2012, 6:24 am
UK Expat Turkey

ozsubasi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Domino
it is my belief the EU is one giant Ponzi scheme
they have to keep bringing in more countries to keep on distributing funds to those already members.
Ah well, I think that is a whole different topic You could ask whether it is to Turkey's benefit to join the EU now, because it is a very different proposition today to what is was when they applied.
Where I am it is not really a topic of conversation (amongst Turkish people that I know), largely I believe because membership is so far off that it doesn't really come into everyday thinking.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:35 am
Just Joined

arkturkey is an unknown quantity at this point

it is the subject like chicken and egg
Old Dec 9th 2012, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

In Beyoglu, or Pera as it used to be, I could fool myself that I was in Europe. Elsewhere ? Well, maybe in the tourist enclaves.

But in the East ? Anatolia ? Kayseri ? Trabzond ?
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Go and look at Diyarbakir or Trebizond and then tell me that they are in Europe. We will have you certified.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Well, you pays your money and you takes your choice. It's up to the Administrators where they place nations. I belong to an expat forum that has Turkey, Israel and Armenia in the Middle East section, yet Afghanistan in "Asia" and Russia in "Europe". I don't think one should go on how places "feel" to visitors.
Old May 8th 2014, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Kunefe75 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is somewhere in between. That's why it remains so fascinating but also difficult to understand.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

My memories of the eastern part of Europe date from the 1960s when a girlfriend and I drove (on a shoestring budget) from Turkey up through every Communist country except Albania. Turkey did not seem at all European in culture - BUT nor did most of Yugoslavia and Bulgaria or indeed all the countryside (outside the cities) of Romania, Hungary and the Soviet Union that we visited. I realise that was a long time ago and much has changed since then. But I would be very surprised if the country folk have changed so radically that they are somehow like the country folk of Germany and France.

In '76 we visited enough of Spain and Italy to conclude that parts of those nations weren't very "European" either.

Also... The movie "Borat" was made in Romania, I think, and I'll bet the horse-drawn carts were authentic!