owner drivers

Old Aug 14th 2007, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

shrug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default owner drivers

Hi All, I am thinking of moving over to Canada, probably BC area. I have 20 years HGV experience, mainly uk and some europe, trouble is I have allways had my own truck and got by as an owner driver, can anyone tell me what the options are like as far as "Operators License" etc, Any info would be welcome, thanks Martin.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:01 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: owner drivers

This thread might be of interest then....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471567

Andy works on the East Coast as an Owner-Operator. Might be worth getting in touch with him.
Old Aug 14th 2007, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shrug
Hi All, I am thinking of moving over to Canada, probably BC area. I have 20 years HGV experience, mainly uk and some europe, trouble is I have allways had my own truck and got by as an owner driver, can anyone tell me what the options are like as far as "Operators License" etc, Any info would be welcome, thanks Martin.
Hi, just a silly question. How do you intend to get into BC as a trucker?????
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Hi, just a silly question. How do you intend to get into BC as a trucker?????
Is there only certain areas of canada that run trucks ?
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

Andy works on the East Coast as an Owner-Operator. Might be worth getting in touch with him.
thanks for the link,
Old Aug 14th 2007, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shrug
Is there only certain areas of canada that run trucks ?
No the trucks are every where,but on a WP or PNP YOU cant get in every where.Thats the problem. BC has no PNP (at this time) for truckers. Myself and a few others have been let in on a trial basis i think is the best way to put it. Alberta,Sak,Manitoba and most of the other prov's have this system up and running in various forms for immigrants. Any the wiser
Old Aug 15th 2007, 2:53 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

Happy to help in anyway i can...............
Old Aug 15th 2007, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

No the trucks are every where,but on a WP or PNP YOU cant get in every where.Thats the problem. BC has no PNP (at this time) for truckers. Myself and a few others have been let in on a trial basis i think is the best way to put it. Alberta,Sak,Manitoba and most of the other prov's have this system up and running in various forms for immigrants. Any the wiser
yep that males sense, cheers, do you happen to know much about getting Canadian O Licenses ? thanks
Old Aug 15th 2007, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

You're jumping the gun a bit mate aren't you. Get first a job over here,get your papers to come over here,get a licence here,then start working and living here, then read this
http://www.ontruck.org/careers/drive...evelopment.htm
Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

You're jumping the gun a bit mate aren't you. Get first a job over here,get your papers to come over here,get a licence here,then start working and living here, then read this
http://www.ontruck.org/careers/drive...evelopment.htm
thanks again, but it ain't a case of jumping the gun, it's just that I like to find out in advance if there is any restrictions or obstacles to a long term plan, for instance you might have said that in canada you have to have been a resident for 5years to become self employed! ( As yet I'm not familiar with their laws).
So 1/ get a job offer. 2/get papers sorted. 3/get licence. 4/get company driver experience. 5/ Now then,whats the procedure for O licenceing and what does it involve?.
Now that is my long term plan, if I can accomplish everything on the list it's a go'er . if you see where I'm coming from. cheers
Old Aug 15th 2007, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shit your plan is similar to mine:curse: and to date and as far as i know buy a truck and start. I dont know of any operators licence here, i had my own truck in the UK and then in Switzerland and thats my plan for here, but slowly As soon as i find out more i will post it ok,but get the other stuff done first
Old Aug 16th 2007, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Shit your plan is similar to mine:curse: and to date and as far as i know buy a truck and start. I dont know of any operators licence here, i had my own truck in the UK and then in Switzerland and thats my plan for here, but slowly As soon as i find out more i will post it ok,but get the other stuff done first
Cheers Gremmie, good luck with your plans, Martin