Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

AYR Motors long haul drivers

AYR Motors long haul drivers

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:08 pm
Banned

jules007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AYR Motors long haul drivers

Still though, all that said, being paid .02 cents a mile less because you are a
foreign worker leaves a bad taste in your mouth!
They are taking advantage of peoples situation because they know people have to stay with them until they are a permanent resident. At which time they pay you the same as the Canadians.
They pretty much have you by the balls for however long it takes you to get your PR. And they know it!!
But like i said, it leaves a bad taste in ones mouth!
Alot of people out there would want to look out for another employer after they got their PR as a direct rusult of that. If they treated people fairly from the beginning people would be more than likely stay.
What goes around comes around i guess.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

hughes3005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AYR Motors long haul drivers

Originally Posted by jules007
Still though, all that said, being paid .02 cents a mile less because you are a
foreign worker leaves a bad taste in your mouth!
They are taking advantage of peoples situation because they know people have to stay with them until they are a permanent resident. At which time they pay you the same as the Canadians.
They pretty much have you by the balls for however long it takes you to get your PR. And they know it!!
But like i said, it leaves a bad taste in ones mouth!
Alot of people out there would want to look out for another employer after they got their PR as a direct rusult of that. If they treated people fairly from the beginning people would be more than likely stay.
What goes around comes around i guess.
There is a problem when you are a professional driver that has to compete on wages when there are drivers that come from the old soviet union and are prepared to suffer this kind of abuse.
they can double man 1 truck cheaper than One Canadian Driver...
Old Aug 7th 2010, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

hughes3005 is an unknown quantity at this point

If i have learned anything from this experience it has been that you are not just another statistic if things go wrong.
you do have rights and employers do have a duty of responsibility.
when you get your LMO on there is a contact number for CIC if you have problems contact them.

I have been told a few times that this experience is not the Canadian way...and i can say "it is not the Canadian way"

cargmatic [Dave]is not responsible for the short term greed of a company like AYR Motor and His intentions are only motivated by His own positive experience and i am quite sure he had no intention of misleading or exaggeration his own Canadian experience.
Truck driving in Canada is truly different from the UK and if enjoy driving then the right trucking company can make a difference.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/labour/co...ntact_us.shtml

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/labour/em...egulated.shtml

Is the grass greener on the other side ? its only as green as you make it where ever you live
Old Aug 7th 2010, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by hughes3005

Is the grass greener on the other side ? its only as green as you make it where ever you live
I disagree.

There are many drivers who are willing to work hard, and stay out for weeks living in the truck, but instead appear to be sitting, waiting, UNPAID, in truck stops, or company yards.

How can you make that situation greener?

Complaining can get you starved out, with crap runs,short miles and long waits etc.

Changing jobs can take weeks, and that's only assuming that a new employer can get you an LMO.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickfly
I disagree.

There are many drivers who are willing to work hard, and stay out for weeks living in the truck, but instead appear to be sitting, waiting, UNPAID, in truck stops, or company yards.

How can you make that situation greener?

Complaining can get you starved out, with crap runs,short miles and long waits etc.

Changing jobs can take weeks, and that's only assuming that a new employer can get you an LMO.
Here we go again,singing from the old hymm book once more.I'm sure if you put as much time and effort into your work in England as you do banging the drum on various forums,maybe life could be good to you.
By the way,Living in Canada is great !!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Here we go again,singing from the old hymm book once more.I'm sure if you put as much time and effort into your work in England as you do banging the drum on various forums,maybe life could be good to you.
I'm on me jollies at the mo, so, no work.
Did you catch my interview with CTV the other day, amongst others (delusions of grandeur, eh?)
I've had my moment of fame, what the fook did you ever do?
You say I am banging the drum on various forums, but...YOU are spending time on various forums aren't you?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickfly
I'm on me jollies at the mo, so, no work.
Did you catch my interview with CTV the other day, amongst others (delusions of grandeur, eh?)
I've had my moment of fame, what the fook did you ever do?
You say I am banging the drum on various forums, but...YOU are spending time on various forums aren't you?
Are you sure it was CTV ? Surely it was the Muppet show !
As to what the fook I ever did ,well you might be surprised,but that's a personal matter and it'll stay that way.
Yes I do spend time on a couple of forums ,when time permits this particular one because obviously I'm an expat ,didn't mean to rub salt into your wounds,i'd briefly forgotten that you are living back in England.The other forum which I visit is for drivers back home,and I like to know what's happening backthere from time to time.
Tell you what,PM me your phone number,then I can call you for all the latest news,second thoughts,you'll start banging the drum about H&R and that was soooo last year.
Happy Hols.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

zeppelin is an unknown quantity at this point

You knob, if they don't give you miles, you can't earn, and they hold all the cards. Simples.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zeppelin
You knob, if they don't give you miles, you can't earn, and they hold all the cards. Simples.
Charming
Old Aug 13th 2010, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the compliment Simples ! is that your name or iq ?
Old Aug 13th 2010, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the compliment Simples ! is that your name or iq ?
Neither, but if you like it, you can have it as it suits you better.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Neither, but if you like it, you can have it as it suits you better.
Have you ever writen an informative post or do you slag every one you meet
Old Aug 14th 2010, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

In a way, the reverse of Zeps post is true. If you do the miles then you will be given miles. I never go short of miles because I tell them when I will be at the drop and they start planning on the reload right away.
Take yesterday as an example. I had a 4 drop load finishing just east of Quebec City, and I wasn't going to be done before lunchtime. I called in and made sure they knew where and when I would be done and they planned around it. I reloaded last night and have time for the reset on my book before dropping on Monday.
It may be despatch's job to plan, but if the driver doesn't plan, too, then he or she is going to get stuck somewhere. If this had been BFS then I would have been sat here all weekend. Despatchers are not mind readers (ask Gremmie what you think of his posts and you may think otherwise...) but they are there to make money, too.

I reckon more of the trouble is down to drivers than despatch or company policy, and I also think that the immigrant drivers are among the worst for not fitting in and villifying firms.
That said, 14 cpm is still insulting.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Have you ever writen an informative post or do you slag every one you meet
What business is it of yours? Who died and put you in charge
Old Aug 15th 2010, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bobthedog
In a way, the reverse of Zeps post is true. If you do the miles then you will be given miles. I never go short of miles because I tell them when I will be at the drop and they start planning on the reload right away.
Take yesterday as an example. I had a 4 drop load finishing just east of Quebec City, and I wasn't going to be done before lunchtime. I called in and made sure they knew where and when I would be done and they planned around it. I reloaded last night and have time for the reset on my book before dropping on Monday.
It may be despatch's job to plan, but if the driver doesn't plan, too, then he or she is going to get stuck somewhere. If this had been BFS then I would have been sat here all weekend. Despatchers are not mind readers (ask Gremmie what you think of his posts and you may think otherwise...) but they are there to make money, too.

I reckon more of the trouble is down to drivers than despatch or company policy, and I also think that the immigrant drivers are among the worst for not fitting in and villifying firms.
That said, 14 cpm is still insulting.
That's true Bob, but if the dispatcher takes a dislike to you for reasons known only to themselves, they can and do make your life difficult, you can't force them to give you work, if they say they have nothing what can you do? Some dispatchers are very good and bend over backwards to keep you moving, others, well they are a law unto themselves

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.