British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   AYR Motors long haul drivers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/ayr-motors-long-haul-drivers-675760/)

hughes3005 Jul 8th 2010 3:19 pm

AYR Motors long haul drivers

There have been posts on here regarding AYR Motors
my experience of being an employee has been one of time consuming, stand by the phone calling every 2 hours all-day.waiting day, after day, after day, like an agency worker.the same for all the other employees,Russian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Israeli, Romanian, Albanian, Serbians, German,American Ect,if you wish to be treated like this work for AYR motor.
If you like me and other workers have invested a lot of money,time and effort in having a future life in Canada be prepared for strange working practices from despatch that have Zero people skills,Zero tolerance of family life,and demand total control of every day life.
for a company's motto that say's..."The best is the least we can do" for there customers.
but for there overseas drivers, the motto should be "The least is the best we will do".
Trust is a part of working life,if trust breaks down then you have problems.if you cant support your wife and children you have failed in gaining a good employer.and become yet another victim of your own self failure because you chose the wrong trucking company.
i am not being Given "any work" because i want to see my wife and children for 2 possibly 3 weeks.i am only allowed 1 week off. any more time off is not tolerated {company starvation }and this is just for starters.their is lots more to tell?

flat to the mat Jul 8th 2010 3:33 pm

Re: AYR Motors long haul drivers

Time to look for another job perhaps ?

Simon Legree Jul 8th 2010 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by hughes3005 (Post 8686694)
my experience of being an employee has been one of time consuming, stand by the phone calling every 2 hours all-day.waiting day, after day, after day, like an agency worker.the same for all the other employees,Russian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Israeli, Romanian, Albanian, Serbians, German,American Ect,if you wish to be treated like this work for AYR motor.
If you like me and other workers have invested a lot of money,time and effort in having a future life in Canada be prepared for strange working practices from despatch that have Zero people skills,Zero tolerance of family life,and demand total control of every day life.
for a company's motto that say's..."The best is the least we can do" for there customers.
but for there overseas drivers, the motto should be "The least is the best we will do".
Trust is a part of working life,if trust breaks down then you have problems.if you cant support your wife and children you have failed in gaining a good employer.and become yet another victim of your own self failure because you chose the wrong trucking company.
i am not being Given "any work" because i want to see my wife and children for 2 possibly 3 weeks.i am only allowed 1 week off. any more time off is not tolerated {company starvation }and this is just for starters.their is lots more to tell?

Doesn't Cargomatic work for Ayr ? He seems quite happy.
Maybe the dispatchers need to get some "people skills" training from Gremmie. He's the authority on the subject I believe. ;)

Gremmie Jul 8th 2010 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Legree (Post 8686858)
Doesn't Cargomatic work for Ayr ? He seems quite happy.
Maybe the dispatchers need to get some "people skills" training from Gremmie. He's the authority on the subject I believe. ;)

My drivers do 9-11 days out 3-4 at home, an authority yes because ive been a driver for 28 years and had a family, whats your experience Simon in the transport industry:sneaky:

Simon Legree Jul 8th 2010 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 8687266)
My drivers do 9-11 days out 3-4 at home, an authority yes because ive been a driver for 28 years and had a family, whats your experience Simon in the transport industry:sneaky:

Absolutely none ! That's why I said that you are the authority ! By your own admission you are an ace dispatcher.

Gremmie Jul 8th 2010 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Legree (Post 8687275)
Absolutely none ! That's why I said that you are the authority ! By your own admission you are an ace dispatcher.

Ace no,,, just bloody good:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Big Truck Jul 8th 2010 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by hughes3005 (Post 8686694)

Your problem is:
1.You just can't hack the new overseas driver meat in the seat "Canadian system"
2.You are not "sucking it up" enough.
3.Its alright you will only have to live that sorry existance for a year or two until you gain PR.
4.You must have been a tipper/Tesco driver in the UK!!!!!:rofl:

hughes3005 Jul 8th 2010 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Big Truck (Post 8687554)
Your problem is:
1.You just can't hack the new overseas driver meat in the seat "Canadian system"
2.You are not "sucking it up" enough.
3.Its alright you will only have to live that sorry existance for a year or two until you gain PR.
4.You must have been a tipper/Tesco driver in the UK!!!!!:rofl:

1.im not working for an agency
2.i dont suck up to weak bully boys that think mummy's shoes should be worn behind closed doors.
3.i am not a Russian, coming from poverty.
4.these Canadians couldn't do my job in the UK, that's why i come here for the easy life of driving a truck in Canada and US.
5.The company has not got what it takes to keep the drivers going,they should try thumbing a lift from passing trade.the boss is not man enough for looking after is drivers.he hides behind is office trying to be the next "Irving of New Brunswick"
6.I see the funny side of your post!!

Big Truck Jul 8th 2010 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by hughes3005 (Post 8687625)
1.im not working for an agency
2.i dont suck up to weak bully boys that think mummy's shoes should be worn behind closed doors.
3.i am not a Russian, coming from poverty.
4.these Canadians couldn't do my job in the UK, that's why i come here for the easy life of driving a truck in Canada and US.
5.The company has not got what it takes to keep the drivers going,they should try thumbing a lift from passing trade.the boss is not man enough for looking after is drivers.he hides behind is office trying to be the next "Irving of New Brunswick"
6.I see the funny side of your post!!

Good Lad give them both barrels!!!!:thumbsup:

bobthedog Jul 9th 2010 4:20 am

For BT..

1> That is your opinion that has no basis in fact, only your mind.
2> As above
3> It is only sorry to those that can't handle working away. I am home more than I have ever been.
4> I did both of those in the UK.

To Hughes3005.

1> Neither do I.. The point being?
2> Again, neither do I. Don't intend to either.
3> Me neither. The point being?
4> That makes little sense. You are suggesting you are much better than Canadians?
5> Maybe the boss does. But you are on the east coast where the recession has bitten hardest.
6> BT doesn't do humour on forums. He knows little and says much.

OK, so Ayr Motor are messing you around. You say you came for the easy life of driving a truck then you are either a troll or you are totally deluded. Nobody would ever say it is an easy life, and if that is the impression you are giving them then they will not be giving you work because you may let them down. You have to work hardn to make a living and that is undisputed.

In fact, the attitude you display is ludicrous.. You suggest that the Canadians cannot do your job, but that you can do this. You clearly cannot do this job.

hughes3005 Jul 9th 2010 10:29 am

Originally Posted by bobthedog (Post 8688191)
For BT..

1> That is your opinion that has no basis in fact, only your mind.
2> As above
3> It is only sorry to those that can't handle working away. I am home more than I have ever been.
4> I did both of those in the UK.

To Hughes3005.

1> Neither do I.. The point being?
2> Again, neither do I. Don't intend to either.
3> Me neither. The point being?
4> That makes little sense. You are suggesting you are much better than Canadians?
5> Maybe the boss does. But you are on the east coast where the recession has bitten hardest.
6> BT doesn't do humour on forums. He knows little and says much.

OK, so Ayr Motor are messing you around. You say you came for the easy life of driving a truck then you are either a troll or you are totally deluded. Nobody would ever say it is an easy life, and if that is the impression you are giving them then they will not be giving you work because you may let them down. You have to work hardn to make a living and that is undisputed.

In fact, the attitude you display is ludicrous.. You suggest that the Canadians cannot do your job, but that you can do this. You clearly cannot do this job.

I am just wondering who's side of the fence you are sitting? the Canadian trucking alliance which controls the flow of immigrants?.
or have you come over to live and work in Canada ?
Lets start off with some basic facts because i guess you like things basic if your sat in an office all day?
the Canadian new recruit receives considerably less money or salary than the immigrant,for example
Canadian new starter $0.10 per mile 3500 miles =$350 he does not get paid for trailer changes ,switch only unloads,but they can take hours to do. RDC are the same where ever you go.how is a Canadian truck driver going to support a family on these wages working seven days a week running team.
Immigrant workers $0.14 for the first year $490 a week for running a truck 24 hours seven days a week.
If this is not modern slavery trolls like you need to do the jobs our Canadian friends cant afford to do.
and to Finnish i have been driving over 20 years i can do the job the same as my Canadian cousins.
do you suggest food tokens should be given to new recruits just so despatch can play games of fetch and catch.
try not being in the sun so long today, you may have been dehydrated when writing

bobthedog Jul 9th 2010 4:22 pm

I had heard Ayr paid less for trainees, and that they are not great. I also hear they make even people like me go through "training" which would stop me from going there in the first place. Tell me, did they actually tell you that you would only earn that much when you applied?

I am on no side of any fence. I get peeved at people who hammer firms that have taken them on after they applied to work there, and after they have read (or not) the contract and signed it. If the job isn't what the contract says then you have a right to complain to the firm, but if they do as they tell you then you don't have a right to complain.. You signed up for it.

I have been a driver for over 20 years, owner driver for 7 years on European work (own international O licence), and have been here, basting in the summer and freezing in the winter, for nearly 5 of those years. I know what I am doing, and I knew what I was opening myself to when I came here because I checked, rechecked, asked questions of the firm and of the other drivers. I was one of the earlier immigrants in the most recent wave and was one of the first that trucking firms hired on LMO, certainly I was the first hired that way by the firm that hired me.

I was never paid less per mile than anyone else. I was paid from day one. I was never treated differently by the firm. I only ran short of miles when the firm was struggling to find work and when I clashed with one of the DRD managers, I moved on to another firm.

It isn't rocket science. If you aren't happy then move on. If you are on a TWP then apply somewhere else and get a new LMO and work permit. If the firm are mistreating you then approach them and suggest that things could be better. If things don't improve then wait till you get the nomination then approach the Province and get it sorted that way. It is exactly what I did, but I didn't go dripping to them that this and that was not what I expected. I made my complaints concise and genuine and they issued me with a letter to take to the border. That got me a new WP and I was able to change firms.

It makes me laugh and exasperates me at the same time. People complain about the method of payment here, and complain about all and sundry, yet they chose to come here.

You chose to come here. It sounds as though you really didn't do your homework but it is clearly not your own fault in your eyes. If you have been a driver for 20 years then how can you even insinuate that Canadians couldn't do your job in the UK?

hughes3005 Jul 9th 2010 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by bobthedog (Post 8689419)
I had heard Ayr paid less for trainees, and that they are not great. I also hear they make even people like me go through "training" which would stop me from going there in the first place. Tell me, did they actually tell you that you would only earn that much when you applied?

I am on no side of any fence. I get peeved at people who hammer firms that have taken them on after they applied to work there, and after they have read (or not) the contract and signed it. If the job isn't what the contract says then you have a right to complain to the firm, but if they do as they tell you then you don't have a right to complain.. You signed up for it.

I have been a driver for over 20 years, owner driver for 7 years on European work (own international O licence), and have been here, basting in the summer and freezing in the winter, for nearly 5 of those years. I know what I am doing, and I knew what I was opening myself to when I came here because I checked, rechecked, asked questions of the firm and of the other drivers. I was one of the earlier immigrants in the most recent wave and was one of the first that trucking firms hired on LMO, certainly I was the first hired that way by the firm that hired me.

I was never paid less per mile than anyone else. I was paid from day one. I was never treated differently by the firm. I only ran short of miles when the firm was struggling to find work and when I clashed with one of the DRD managers, I moved on to another firm.

It isn't rocket science. If you aren't happy then move on. If you are on a TWP then apply somewhere else and get a new LMO and work permit. If the firm are mistreating you then approach them and suggest that things could be better. If things don't improve then wait till you get the nomination then approach the Province and get it sorted that way. It is exactly what I did, but I didn't go dripping to them that this and that was not what I expected. I made my complaints concise and genuine and they issued me with a letter to take to the border. That got me a new WP and I was able to change firms.

It makes me laugh and exasperates me at the same time. People complain about the method of payment here, and complain about all and sundry, yet they chose to come here.

You chose to come here. It sounds as though you really didn't do your homework but it is clearly not your own fault in your eyes. If you have been a driver for 20 years then how can you even insinuate that Canadians couldn't do your job in the UK?

Hi Bob
i fully under stand what you say and hope you and your family do well in Canada.
Canada is a lovely country and having opportunity's to see north America being a driver is not bad.
i would not discourage any one from giving it a go even if the odds feel against you especially the length of time the process takes,that is coursed by government and not employer.the government are responsible for the lack of protection from rogue company s and there are a lot but there are good company's.
i also wish the person well that help me get a job here, he is not responsible for the bad management that is here at AYR Motor.the recruitment side i have dealt with cant be responsible for the actions of the owner.
I hold the owner's lack of Zero people skills and Greed he has for money and power he exerts over his workers.
he demands total submission not only that He does not have the work he claims to have.
I have been standing by the phone for 2 months now and so have others doing work here and work there, just like an agency.one of the problems is he has to many drivers and still more arrive.
another problem is he mixes city work with long haul work so you dont get the mileage for your wages.
sat waiting for reloads up to 12 hours with out pay.
trailer changes that you dont get paid for.
if you run team keep the team moving not 100 miles here sit for 6 plus hours and go another 100 mile reload with another load. Christ it does my head in.
the problem is he as a seriously bad problem up stairs.in is head.
drivers mean nothing to this guy he just wants control over every one.
on another note though, we did have a chat like you said.the HR man apologised diplomaticly and said give them a chance to prove them selves.Great i thought?.
the catch was i wanted 3 weeks home he said no. 1 week, OR if i give them a chance to prove themselves and dont go home stop and work until next year Jan 2011 they would pay for a return flight.....but these clowns had taken away my trip to another guy and stood me down to force me into saying yes....like i said if trust breaks DOWN......
i wanted it to work, im getting to old to be playing games, all i wanted to do is work and earn money with confidence to bring my wife and children with me...and thats all, i didnt want to have a rant,it just seems right to pass on the information to other drivers..thats why we have the forum

bobthedog Jul 9th 2010 7:25 pm

I don't disagree at all. The thing is that the firm has clearly let you down in many regards. It would be wiser to move on if you can, but be careful where you go. If you are a nominee now then go and talk to them. The thing with being a nominee is that you do not need to work for a company who can get LMOs- they only need to be offering a permanant contract. Chances are you will still need to do long haul though. That is usually a stipulation.

In truth, I was talking to another brit who told me that Ayr do exactly as you say they do. He also said that they treat you like you just came out of driving school despite knowing that there is a chance you have been to far wilder places than they have ever known.

I can understand their point about 3 weeks off, but I can also understand your point entirely and lean heavily toward your way of thinking. The only thing they could have said to you that would seem fair is that you may not have your truck back when you returned. An absolute refusal seems beyond harsh although maybe they have been bitten with drivers going for 3 weeks but never coming back. That wouldn't surprise me given how they pay and act.

But here's the thing. My friend at Bigfreight had to go home for a few weeks, although he did say he didn't know how long it would take to sort out (bereavement and winding up an estate). The firm let him go without question and were able to give him the same vehicle back 2 months later. These things can be worked out if effort is made on the firms behalf. When I was there and doing the ice roads, they kept C528 back for me while I used an older truck for the couple of months. Again, an accommodation.

The firm I work for kept my truck when I smashed myself up last year and was in hospital being rebuilt, and it was still there when I returned after a month. That was despite them being warned I was likely to be off for 3 months.

I wish you well. I think you should hold on until you have your PNP then make an appointment and go see them. Write a letter explaining your situation. State that you want to get your family over as soon as you can but that you cannot afford it at all. Tell them how hard it is going and make sure they know you are more than ready to work hard. If you can get a firm offer from another firm then the PNP will back you and you can just go elsewhere.

the watson family Jul 10th 2010 9:47 pm

how long have you been working for them?