Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / USA / The Trailer Park

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:46 pm   #271
Hiro11 
I approved this message
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,044
Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Same here. I never really gave it much thought actually, because I was never really exposed to it back home. As soon as I tried proper Mexican food here I was hooked.
Mexico is an incredible country with incredible food. Mexican food is also extremely diverse:
https://www.picos.net/the-seven-regi...xican-cuisine/

To me, it was eye opening to realize that the stews, moles and fish dishes prevalent in south Mexico are a world away from tacos and burritos. The grilled meats from Quintana Roo are similarly distinct and much more like Caribbean food. Finding these dishes is not difficult at higher end Mexican restaurants and well worth the effort. A good roasted pine nut and chocolate mole can be a life changing experience, at least it was for me. Mexican cocktails are similarly a gigantic world of possibilities.

Not that there's anything wrong with tacos and burritos. Searching out good tacos is like searching out good whiskey: the variation is endless and well worth investigating thoroughly. Here in Chicago, I have at least twenty different options within driving distance of my house. I think I've tried them all.
__________________
Peddling shite American cars and movies.
Hiro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:55 pm   #272
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
mrken30's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Portlandia Metro
Posts: 6,351
mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

I am not a Menudo fan, but if you want authentic, you should try it.
__________________
A still tongue is a wise tongue, pity anout the fingers
mrken30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 9:17 pm   #273
Bash the fash
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 38,738
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
Mexico is an incredible country with incredible food. Mexican food is also extremely diverse:
https://www.picos.net/the-seven-regi...xican-cuisine/

To me, it was eye opening to realize that the stews, moles and fish dishes prevalent in south Mexico are a world away from tacos and burritos. The grilled meats from Quintana Roo are similarly distinct and much more like Caribbean food. Finding these dishes is not difficult at higher end Mexican restaurants and well worth the effort. A good roasted pine nut and chocolate mole can be a life changing experience, at least it was for me. Mexican cocktails are similarly a gigantic world of possibilities.

Not that there's anything wrong with tacos and burritos. Searching out good tacos is like searching out good whiskey: the variation is endless and well worth investigating thoroughly. Here in Chicago, I have at least twenty different options within driving distance of my house. I think I've tried them all.
Well, I don't have quite that much variety up here, and it'd need to be severely good to warrant the 60 mile drive, but I get your point
__________________
"Why do people take pictures of mimes? If the idea is standing still, then everyone looks like a mime in a picture."

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 10:04 pm   #274
dj6372 Male
FFS!
 
dj6372's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2015
Location: Marina Del Rey CA
Posts: 964
dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
Same here. I never really gave it much thought actually, because I was never really exposed to it back home. As soon as I tried proper Mexican food here I was hooked.
Double ditto!!

Other than El Paso, I had no idea about Mexican food, Mrs DJ lived in the UK for 4 years and constantly bitched about the lack of Mexican food, I was meh its just effin chilli.............

But living in California I was sooooooooooooooo wrong!! I love Mexican food, I work with 90% Mexican and the foods they bring in from home are so tasty, I love the little taco stalls, breakfast burritos are the bomb, If we ever return to the UK to live, it will be me bitching about the lack of Mexican food.

But one word of warning, if a Mexican says its a 'little' spicy........................prepare to die!! I sampled a little spicy Pico de Gallo, holy moly it took the roof of mouth off, my lips went numb, it was beyond lava!
__________________
Norman

Last edited by dj6372; Oct 2nd 2017 at 10:08 pm. Reason: More!
dj6372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 11:09 pm   #275
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,811
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

I miss Mexican food. Growing up in San Diego the bulk of my diet was Mexican food even at home.

British Columbia and even Northern WA state lack good Mexican food so it's a rare and generally expensive treat every so often, which creates a headache for my wife as I can never find anything I like to eat when out....

If you like Sushi or Indian food, there are a ton of choices here, but I don't care for either.

Even making Mexican food at home is difficult as the ingredients are difficult to find.
Jsmth321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 4:56 am   #276
Bash the fash
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 38,738
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj6372 View Post
Double ditto!!

Other than El Paso, I had no idea about Mexican food, Mrs DJ lived in the UK for 4 years and constantly bitched about the lack of Mexican food, I was meh its just effin chilli.............

But living in California I was sooooooooooooooo wrong!! I love Mexican food, I work with 90% Mexican and the foods they bring in from home are so tasty, I love the little taco stalls, breakfast burritos are the bomb, If we ever return to the UK to live, it will be me bitching about the lack of Mexican food.

But one word of warning, if a Mexican says its a 'little' spicy........................prepare to die!! I sampled a little spicy Pico de Gallo, holy moly it took the roof of mouth off, my lips went numb, it was beyond lava!
It would be one of the things I would miss most if I were to ever return to the UK as well. Just wouldn't be the same.

I've been caught out with the spice too from time to time! One of the supervisors in work brought in pickled ghost peppers and had me try just the vinegar. It was one of those things that was so hot even the smell was spicy, but I gave it a go. Didn't last a whole hell of a long time but I had to wash my hands in rubbing alcohol when I got home just to get the little trace of it off my fingers .
__________________
"Why do people take pictures of mimes? If the idea is standing still, then everyone looks like a mime in a picture."

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 5:02 am   #277
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2015
Location: california
Posts: 2,930
dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I miss Mexican food. Growing up in San Diego the bulk of my diet was Mexican food even at home.

British Columbia and even Northern WA state lack good Mexican food so it's a rare and generally expensive treat every so often, which creates a headache for my wife as I can never find anything I like to eat when out....

If you like Sushi or Indian food, there are a ton of choices here, but I don't care for either.

Even making Mexican food at home is difficult as the ingredients are difficult to find.
Easiest thing in the world to make a quesadilla. Flour tortilla, grated cheese. refried beans, bacon bits, one minute in the microwave and Juan's yer uncle !
dc koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th 2017, 3:49 pm   #278
Bob Male
Not so super superslob
Super Moderator
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 90,838
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maste View Post
Haven't tasted a hot dog as good as a Chicago dog. Have you been to Rands in Chicago? 3 bucks for fries and a chicago dog. Bargain!
You want to taste the most disgusting hot dog as a comparison and try a Maine, Red Dog!

The shits are almost guaranteed.

I have no idea why they're so popular over there.
__________________
When I was born I was so surprised I didn't talk for a year and a half. ~ Gracie Allen
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature. ~ Dave Barry

Immigrants should be tarred and feathered....Yes, I like it kinky.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:55 pm   #279
Leslie Female
WTF?
Premium Member
 
Leslie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Homeostasis
Posts: 74,692
Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
You want to taste the most disgusting hot dog as a comparison and try a Maine, Red Dog!

The shits are almost guaranteed.

I have no idea why they're so popular over there.
BECAUSE WE LOVE THEM
__________________
. . . under the moonlight, this serious moonlight . . .
Leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:10 pm   #280
Bash the fash
 
SultanOfSwing's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Fox Lake, IL (from Carrickfergus NI)
Posts: 38,738
SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
You want to taste the most disgusting hot dog as a comparison and try a Maine, Red Dog!

The shits are almost guaranteed.

I have no idea why they're so popular over there.
Honestly, Bob, that looks like something I'd eat the shit out of. Unfortunate bum-hole issues notwithstanding.

Obviously, Chicago style is the best, but variety is the spice of life, and all that.
__________________
"Why do people take pictures of mimes? If the idea is standing still, then everyone looks like a mime in a picture."

Listen to my music on YouTube or add me on facebook
SultanOfSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th 2017, 10:13 pm   #281
dj6372 Male
FFS!
 
dj6372's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2015
Location: Marina Del Rey CA
Posts: 964
dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
BECAUSE WE LOVE THEM
__________________
Norman
dj6372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / USA / The Trailer Park


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 2:15 am.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com