Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:46 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What I like about America. [A politics-free thread]

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Same here. I never really gave it much thought actually, because I was never really exposed to it back home. As soon as I tried proper Mexican food here I was hooked.
Mexico is an incredible country with incredible food. Mexican food is also extremely diverse:
https://www.picos.net/the-seven-regi...xican-cuisine/

To me, it was eye opening to realize that the stews, moles and fish dishes prevalent in south Mexico are a world away from tacos and burritos. The grilled meats from Quintana Roo are similarly distinct and much more like Caribbean food. Finding these dishes is not difficult at higher end Mexican restaurants and well worth the effort. A good roasted pine nut and chocolate mole can be a life changing experience, at least it was for me. Mexican cocktails are similarly a gigantic world of possibilities.

Not that there's anything wrong with tacos and burritos. Searching out good tacos is like searching out good whiskey: the variation is endless and well worth investigating thoroughly. Here in Chicago, I have at least twenty different options within driving distance of my house. I think I've tried them all.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a Menudo fan, but if you want authentic, you should try it.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 9:17 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Mexico is an incredible country with incredible food. Mexican food is also extremely diverse:
https://www.picos.net/the-seven-regi...xican-cuisine/

To me, it was eye opening to realize that the stews, moles and fish dishes prevalent in south Mexico are a world away from tacos and burritos. The grilled meats from Quintana Roo are similarly distinct and much more like Caribbean food. Finding these dishes is not difficult at higher end Mexican restaurants and well worth the effort. A good roasted pine nut and chocolate mole can be a life changing experience, at least it was for me. Mexican cocktails are similarly a gigantic world of possibilities.

Not that there's anything wrong with tacos and burritos. Searching out good tacos is like searching out good whiskey: the variation is endless and well worth investigating thoroughly. Here in Chicago, I have at least twenty different options within driving distance of my house. I think I've tried them all.
Well, I don't have quite that much variety up here, and it'd need to be severely good to warrant the 60 mile drive, but I get your point
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Same here. I never really gave it much thought actually, because I was never really exposed to it back home. As soon as I tried proper Mexican food here I was hooked.
Double ditto!!

Other than El Paso, I had no idea about Mexican food, Mrs DJ lived in the UK for 4 years and constantly bitched about the lack of Mexican food, I was meh its just effin chilli.............

But living in California I was sooooooooooooooo wrong!! I love Mexican food, I work with 90% Mexican and the foods they bring in from home are so tasty, I love the little taco stalls, breakfast burritos are the bomb, If we ever return to the UK to live, it will be me bitching about the lack of Mexican food.

But one word of warning, if a Mexican says its a 'little' spicy........................prepare to die!! I sampled a little spicy Pico de Gallo, holy moly it took the roof of mouth off, my lips went numb, it was beyond lava!

Last edited by dj6372; Oct 2nd 2017 at 10:08 pm. Reason: More!
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 11:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I miss Mexican food. Growing up in San Diego the bulk of my diet was Mexican food even at home.

British Columbia and even Northern WA state lack good Mexican food so it's a rare and generally expensive treat every so often, which creates a headache for my wife as I can never find anything I like to eat when out....

If you like Sushi or Indian food, there are a ton of choices here, but I don't care for either.

Even making Mexican food at home is difficult as the ingredients are difficult to find.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 4:56 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
Double ditto!!

Other than El Paso, I had no idea about Mexican food, Mrs DJ lived in the UK for 4 years and constantly bitched about the lack of Mexican food, I was meh its just effin chilli.............

But living in California I was sooooooooooooooo wrong!! I love Mexican food, I work with 90% Mexican and the foods they bring in from home are so tasty, I love the little taco stalls, breakfast burritos are the bomb, If we ever return to the UK to live, it will be me bitching about the lack of Mexican food.

But one word of warning, if a Mexican says its a 'little' spicy........................prepare to die!! I sampled a little spicy Pico de Gallo, holy moly it took the roof of mouth off, my lips went numb, it was beyond lava!
It would be one of the things I would miss most if I were to ever return to the UK as well. Just wouldn't be the same.

I've been caught out with the spice too from time to time! One of the supervisors in work brought in pickled ghost peppers and had me try just the vinegar. It was one of those things that was so hot even the smell was spicy, but I gave it a go. Didn't last a whole hell of a long time but I had to wash my hands in rubbing alcohol when I got home just to get the little trace of it off my fingers .
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 5:02 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I miss Mexican food. Growing up in San Diego the bulk of my diet was Mexican food even at home.

British Columbia and even Northern WA state lack good Mexican food so it's a rare and generally expensive treat every so often, which creates a headache for my wife as I can never find anything I like to eat when out....

If you like Sushi or Indian food, there are a ton of choices here, but I don't care for either.

Even making Mexican food at home is difficult as the ingredients are difficult to find.
Easiest thing in the world to make a quesadilla. Flour tortilla, grated cheese. refried beans, bacon bits, one minute in the microwave and Juan's yer uncle !
Old Oct 5th 2017, 3:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
Haven't tasted a hot dog as good as a Chicago dog. Have you been to Rands in Chicago? 3 bucks for fries and a chicago dog. Bargain!
You want to taste the most disgusting hot dog as a comparison and try a Maine, Red Dog!

The shits are almost guaranteed.

I have no idea why they're so popular over there.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:55 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You want to taste the most disgusting hot dog as a comparison and try a Maine, Red Dog!

BECAUSE WE LOVE THEM
Old Oct 5th 2017, 8:10 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Bob

Honestly, Bob, that looks like something I'd eat the shit out of. Unfortunate bum-hole issues notwithstanding.

Obviously, Chicago style is the best, but variety is the spice of life, and all that.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
BECAUSE WE LOVE THEM