Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Old May 2nd 2016, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

San Diego is dirty, pokey shithole. Nice climate but I'd hate to live there.
Old May 2nd 2016, 11:00 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move back to the USA but my girlfriend's perspective differs than mine.

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre
San Diego is dirty, pokey shithole. Nice climate but I'd hate to live there.
No it isn't. The downtown area is pretty clean and at least the City Sanitation Department don't have to come around at dawn every morning hosing off the sidewalks and inside shop doorways to clean out the filth and offal left by the outdoor denizens the day before.

Market street has expensive hotels along it's stretch. 3, 4, 5 hundred dollars a night for a room. I'm sure the hotels are very nice inside but once out of the lobby onto the street you're in stinky paradise.
Old May 3rd 2016, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

I've been numerous times and don't care for it at all. San Diegans are very snooty too.
Old May 3rd 2016, 4:51 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt Sabre
I've been numerous times and don't care for it at all. San Diegans are very snooty too.

Funny I've never found them different from any place else
Old May 3rd 2016, 3:03 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, San Diego and San Francisco are both "shitholes". La Jolla, what a dump. Tiburon, yuck.

W. T. F.
Old May 3rd 2016, 7:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Yes, San Diego and San Francisco are both "shitholes". La Jolla, what a dump. Tiburon, yuck.

W. T. F.

I guess there must be plenty of dumb rich people around who pay premium prices for a home in the "La Jolla dump"

Talking of shitholes what's the run up of murders to date this year in Chicago. ?

Last edited by dc koop; May 3rd 2016 at 7:14 pm.
Old May 3rd 2016, 7:27 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
I guess there must be plenty of dumb rich people around who pay premium prices for a home in the "La Jolla dump"

Talking of shitholes what's the run up of murders to date this year in Chicago. ?
I'm getting the distinct feeling that you don't do sarcasm...
Old May 3rd 2016, 7:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Wintersong
I'm getting the distinct feeling that you don't do sarcasm...
I don't usually.
Old May 5th 2016, 12:42 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yankabroad
So any suggestions I could give her to try to give it a chance. (we plan on going for the k1 visa btw)

Cheers!
I have to say I've seen this from both ends, having an American gf in the US and then moving here from the UK.

The American gf had this weird stereotyped view of the UK and the Brit had a weird stereotyped view of N America.

They are different places with different cultures and the conclusion I reached is that you can take the person out of X country but you can't take X country out of the person.

I see it on this forum with people who moved as a family and then they don't make any friends where they moved to except on this forum.

So they sort of reinforce each other's "Britishness" and don't adapt to the local culture.

Frankly I see it with loads of immigrants living in the local neighbourhood too.

Disliking the UK to a very great degree enabled me to adapt more than most immigrants do, imho.

The key point is they've got to want to do it. And when I say that, I mean they've got to want to do it to a substantial degree. If they're ambivalent about it, you're just setting yourself up for a load of stress and arguments because moving countries is stressful enough as it is. To cope with that stress, they've got to really want to do it.

People are very territorial, the way you get over it is to stress the positives over the negatives. Even if you start to convince yourself that you sound like Goebbels. The fear of moving is a somewhat irrational instinct.

I've moved so many times now it doesn't bother me much anymore other than the practical PITA of moving, but I'm always amazed at people who say to me: "I could never move to X because of Y reason." And Y reason is usually something stupid or exaggerated. It's fear of change.