Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Time for another gun thread

Time for another gun thread

Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:47 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for another gun thread

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I wasn't referring to paranoid gun nuts. Or even normal gun nuts. That's just one extreme. I am referring to unarmed people who don't own guns for the most part just going about their normal business.
I know. And I think that you overreached with that.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible. But after so many years here the whole fear things has started to weigh heavily. It has just never happened to me anywhere else in the world that I'm driving along and then because I turn onto a certain street my passengers start locking their doors. .....
When I get in the car, I lock the doors. Immediately. I always have, when I lived in the UK, and now here. It is a reflex, I am hardly aware I do it, and if Mrs P isn't getting in at exactly the same time, or before me, I have been known to lock her out. Mrs P is also "a door locker".

In the case of my truck, as soon as I start to move, the doors would lock themselves anyway. The Mustang and the truck both release the locks when the interior handle is pulled. It's one of the few things I don't like about the Accord is that the doors have to be unlocked before the handle to open them works.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I recall walking through Belfast and being a bit astonished to see that the armored vehicle waiting at the red light was, in fact, a cop car.
Ah yes, the good old Police Land Rover ...

Old Jul 28th 2015, 4:58 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible. But after so many years here the whole fear things has started to weigh heavily. It has just never happened to me anywhere else in the world that I'm driving along and then because I turn onto a certain street my passengers start locking their doors.

And no, the US most certainly does not have the monopoly on that - any time you want to waste a few hours of your life you can venture into the UKIP thread on TIO No idea if UKIP people lock their car doors when they see immigrants though.
We come to America with the cultural baggage that the world has hoisted upon us, and that might have been me, being paranoid, if my first job wasn't working in what is considered the dodgiest area of town, working with local youth. So now I think that the Lumpenproletariat, and such neighbourhoods of both US and UK have so much in common, with the exception of guns. The dodgy youth of America, remind so much of the scallies of Liverpool. Except the housing in American dodgy areas is so much better.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

This puppy should do it.

Free shipping!
Old Jul 28th 2015, 5:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
...... Except the housing in American dodgy areas is so much better.
That is not universally true. America just does a good job of hiding a lot of its worst housing out of the sight of most people. Some US trailer parks I have seen are comparable with the worst housing I ever saw in the UK (the Gorbals), followed closely by Lewisham/New Cross.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 5:22 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is not universally true. America just does a good job of hiding a lot of its worst housing out of the sight of most people. Some US trailer parks I have seen are comparable with the worst housing I ever saw in the UK (the Gorbals), followed closely by Lewisham/New Cross.
I am being a bit Seattlecentric and matching public housing for public housing (which doesnt really match up for social level). Here the public housing is a bit good. But yes the private sector has some crap, but very little trailer housing here.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jul 28th 2015 at 5:24 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 5:57 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

When I get in the car, I lock the doors. Immediately. I always have, when I lived in the UK, and now here. It is a reflex, I am hardly aware I do it, and if Mrs P isn't getting in at exactly the same time, or before me, I have been known to lock her out. Mrs P is also "a door locker".

In the case of my truck, as soon as I start to move, the doors would lock themselves anyway. The Mustang and the truck both release the locks when the interior handle is pulled. It's one of the few things I don't like about the Accord is that the doors have to be unlocked before the handle to open them works.
Must just be me that likes to live dangerously then

What is everyone afraid of, exactly?

Apart from those who own cars where the doors fly open of their own accord I mean.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 5:59 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8373/8...60d93cec_b.jpg
Not exactly Dixon of Dock Green, is it.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:04 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Not exactly Dixon of Dock Green, is it.
You get used to them after a while. I suppose, from the perspective of the rozzers, when you're getting petrol bombs thrown at you, you don't want to be getting into a Vauxhall Astra.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:13 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Must just be me that likes to live dangerously then

What is everyone afraid of, exactly?

Apart from those who own cars where the doors fly open of their own accord I mean.
My German car locks the door automatically once the car has been in motion for a bit.

It would not be a good thing for the doors to fly open due to a crash. You want to have as much protection as possible, and the doors are part of the crash protection.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:15 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8373/8...60d93cec_b.jpg
The coating of rust is lovely. Do they not have anyone on the payroll to maintain them?
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:28 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
The coating of rust is lovely. Do they not have anyone on the payroll to maintain them?
Not much point in maintaining the paint job, it's only going to end up having bricks thrown at it anyway.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 6:41 pm

Meanwhile, back to the cars.

Money pit, anyone? It's in Arkansas.

Old Jul 28th 2015, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile, back to the cars.

Money pit, anyone? It's in Arkansas.

http://www.triumphexp.com/registry/p..._Moore_000.jpg
The wire wheels might be worth something.

Hang on this isn't the car thread. Actually it is a good demonstration of how the gun debate always gets hijacked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.