Reload this Page >

Temporary health care on arrival

Temporary health care on arrival

Old Jul 19th 2015, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Eddie35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary health care on arrival

Hi,
My family are moving to the States this week and we have bought temporary healthcare before my husband formally joins the U.S. workforce as he needs his SSN first. Can we register with a physician on this temporary healthcare package? Also can we then swap to our permanent healthcare plan with the physician once that is in place? Is it necessary to register before one of us is ill (hopefully that doesn't happen on the temporary healthcare package)or do we just go to our nearest physician if needed while on the temp. Plan and register once our proper healthcare package is in place?

Thanks
Old Jul 19th 2015, 8:44 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary health care on arrival

I think you might want to read what is offered on the " temporary healthcare package". Most health insurance packages vary as to what is covered and I am unfamiliar with such a package. There is no way to know if you can continue with a doctor after changing insurance without knowing what is covered by the future package. Some insurances let you select whoever you want, many do not. If you go to a doctor or hospital outside of those covered there will be a hefty extra out of pocket charge beyond the one required for a visit to a doctor or hospital within your coverage.
You probably need to read what is covered (on the temp). You might want to ask what will be covered on the permanent one too. I am not sure any of us will be able to tell you.

e.g. When i changed jobs, I had to change doctor, hospital, dentist and optician.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jul 19th 2015 at 8:48 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 8:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Most doctors won't see you unless you are registered. I was deregistered (that's a whole separate story), and couldn't get a routine tetanus booster until I had had a "new patient" physical.

Doctors don't necessarily care what insurance you have, though their office staff will ask and make a record of which insurance you have, but you don't actually need insurance at all to register. ..... The awkward issue you will have is whether you are "in network" with your husband's company insurance, as that severely affects whether you get full reimbursement for any claims.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply. The temp. Plan does list what is covered, although it doesn't seem to specify if that relates to in or out of network treatment. I guess what I'm confused about is how we find out if a doctors near to us will accept the temp plan and if it is a case of calling by and registering or waiting until someone is ill... Ideally we don't have any probs until my husband's permanent one starts which allows us to access in and out of network- but that might not work in reality.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 9:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eddie35
Thanks for your reply. The temp. Plan does list what is covered, although it doesn't seem to specify if that relates to in or out of network treatment. I guess what I'm confused about is how we find out if a doctors near to us will accept the temp plan and if it is a case of calling by and registering or waiting until someone is ill... Ideally we don't have any probs until my husband's permanent one starts which allows us to access in and out of network- but that might not work in reality.
As I said, "Doctors don't necessarily care what insurance you have ....." .... You do not need insurance to register with a doctor - you're on the hook, if the insurance doesn't pay they'll turn your debt over to a collection agency, and if you don't cough up they'll sue you.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 9:12 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

So the temp coverage is tied to the longer term coverage, and you know what network you will be within. I'd just pick a doctor near to you that is part of that network.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry no that wasn't clear on my behalf- the temp isn't linked to the longer term cover. Pulaski my reply overlapped with your post. Thanks yes I understand we can register with or without insurance. I guess I need to see if any of the ones nearby are happy to accept the temp. Cover if we have to use that.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:04 pm

Sorry no that wasn't clear on my behalf- the temp isn't linked to the longer term cover. Pulaski my reply overlapped with your post. Thanks yes I understand we can register with or without insurance. I guess I need to see if any of the ones nearby are happy to accept the temp. Cover if we have to use that.
You still have it backwards. It is not whether the doctor will accept the insurance, it is whether the insurance will accept (pay) the doctor. ....... Welcome to the whacky world of healthcare and health insurance in the US!
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Since you have some sort of temporary plan,(and do not appear to have a list of in network doctors, which you always get with a company plan) you need to check with the insurance company FIRST, to see if they will pay the bills of whichever doctor you are thinking of registering with.

Doctors receptionist are notorious for saying "oh yes we take that insurance" when they have no idea whether their services will be paid for - they don't need to, because if the insurance does not pay then YOU are on line for the whole cost.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:19 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Since you have some sort of temporary plan,(and do not appear to have a list of in network doctors, which you always get with a company plan) you need to check with the insurance company FIRST, to see if they will pay the bills of whichever doctor you are thinking of registering with.

Doctors receptionist are notorious for saying "oh yes we take that insurance" when they have no idea whether their services will be paid for - they don't need to, because if the insurance does not pay then YOU are on line for the whole cost.
and "oh yes we take that insurance" might mean a $10 co-pay or a $10 coverage.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. I will ring temp cover insurance company as soon as we arrive later this week
Old Jul 21st 2015, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
My family are moving to the States this week and we have bought temporary healthcare before my husband formally joins the U.S. workforce as he needs his SSN first.
Just to pick up this point - you don't need an SSN to start work. I didn't have one for two and a half months as my application took a while (whole other thread). I still worked and got paid - your employer just needs to enter a dummy '000-000-0004' number into their payroll system and update when his SSN comes through.

The important thing to be able to show your employer is documentation to prove you are able to work, and that is not limited to just your SSN card.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Just to pick up this point - you don't need an SSN to start work. I didn't have one for two and a half months as my application took a while (whole other thread). I still worked and got paid - your employer just needs to enter a dummy '000-000-0004' number into their payroll system and update when his SSN comes through.

The important thing to be able to show your employer is documentation to prove you are able to work, and that is not limited to just your SSN card.
Good point. I started work with a large and reputable corporation just six days after I stepped off the plane and didn't have an SSN at that time.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 4:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Remember the term "creditable cover". The NHS is considered an insurer by US healthcare providers.

This is important when applying for healthcare coverage by a US insurer. ie "My previous insurer was the NHS" and NOT "I'm from the UK - we don't have healthcare so this is my first time...etc"

Get the relevant person to get a letter NOW from their UK GP practice.

See post 28 here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...egnant-615095/

See post 12 here:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...verage-803484/

Best wishes
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 11:35 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

He does not need his ssn number before starting work and in any case, he should have it in a few weeks.
However, I would check that your temporary cover allows you to even register with a doctor since that is set up to be a long-term arrangement. The new patient exam is very thorough and I'll bet fairly pricey too, so temp insurance may not cover that but will pay for you to go to an Urgent care facility or ER.

You need to know:
1 Are family physicians new patient exams covered?
2.Ask for a list of doctors covered by your insurance in your area. Do not trust the receptionists....the good ones will know and will ask for and enter in your insurance details into their computer which will then allow them to see what is covered, what your payments will be.
3What are your co-pays (you pay this each visit), your co-insurance (a percentage of the total bill). There will probably be a difference between an "in-network" and "out of network" doctor.

In your situation, I would probably ask the insurers for a list of local facilities covered by your insurance.
"minute clinics" (usually in supermarkets or drugstores), staffed by nurses, they are useful for minor stuff that doesn't need a dr (cheapest option),
urgent care facilities - not full blown ER but good for sutures or when you want a dr for antibiotics etc
Hospital ERs. Let's hope you don't need it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.