Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Moving to USA, and I am pregnant

Moving to USA, and I am pregnant

Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:06 am
Mrs O

MrsOwen is just really niceMrsOwen is just really niceMrsOwen is just really niceMrsOwen is just really niceMrsOwen is just really niceMrsOwen is just really niceMrsOwen is just really niceMrsOwen is just really nice
Default Moving to USA, and I am pregnant

Hi

My husband and I are moving to USA later this year with his work. We are hoping to have visa app approved in next two months. He is coming out on an L1 and I am coming on an L2.

We are so excited about moving however I have just found out I am pregnant and now I am really concerned about the impact this may have on our move.

Financially, I can take a year off with work so I may be able to move once my maternity pay starts, is this possible?

Will being pregnant stop me from getting the L2 Visa

What will I need to do when I arrive and prior to the arrival of the baby?

All / any advice would be mot appreciated.

thank you
Old Jun 16th 2009, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to USA, and I am pregnant

Hi and welcome

Congratulations!!!

You need to make sure that your husband has good medical insurance through his company.

Being pregnant won't affect getting a visa.

several members have had children while being over here in the US and I'm sure they'll be along soon to offer you their words of wisdom
Old Jun 16th 2009, 1:40 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

If the child is born in the US will it have dual citizenship?
Old Jun 16th 2009, 1:52 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
If you want it, yes.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 1:55 pm
Mrs O

MrsOwen is just really niceMrsOwen is just really niceMrsOwen is just really niceMrsOwen is just really niceMrsOwen is just really niceMrsOwen is just really niceMrsOwen is just really niceMrsOwen is just really nice

Thanks Lisa

I have tried looking for information about this all on line but can't seem to find anything.

My husband will have good health insurance I am informed.

Out of interest, when we get our Visa's, do we have to leave the UK together?

Basically I want to work here until I can start my maternity leave , thus making the most of my benefits! (a year off with 9 months pay!)

What are the benefits of dual citizenship other than the obvious? At this stage the move is only going to be for a few years so we would want baby to have a british passport, but clearly having a US one too would be good for them in their future?

Thanks again for the advice.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 2:24 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not US citizens the only route (well, simple route) to citizenship for the baby is to be born on US soil. However, most airlines will not let you fly after 8 months so I'm not sure how you'll be able to start maternity leave in the UK and then get over to the US to have the baby. Maybe go on maternity leave starting early.

As others have said, be sure to check with the hubbie's health insurance. You'll need to walk through exactly the situation you'll be in with the HR person, not just take their word that 'it's a good policy'. There are so many nooks and crannies and exceptions in health care plans in the US that you have to walk through each bit to make sure it is covered, with the doctor you want in the hospital near your home, etc. A through discussion with the HR people and the insurance company is highly recommended.

US maternity leave law mandates that employers over a certain size give 6 weeks of leave without pay. That's about it, fwiw.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 2:28 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
They will have 'dual' citizenship in the sense that the moment it is born in the US it will be a US citizen AND you will NOT be able to renounce that citizenship. They will be a US citizen until they turn 18 and renounce on their own, if they desire.

There are procedures to get the UK citizenship that are pretty standard for an expat birth so you can get them a UK passport and whatnot through that route.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP stays in the UK to have the baby, won't they then also have to get a visa for the baby to enter the US? If the father goes on ahead to the US, I would think this could be a delay in getting mom & baby to the US since they will also need a Brit passport for the babe, before the visa can be applied for. It sounds like it'd be a bit easier to just have mom come over & have the kid in the US.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jun 16th 2009 at 3:15 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:14 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know nothing about birthing no babies.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voltore
If you want it, yes.

Even if you DON'T want it ... it is theirs.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Will your company pay you for maternity leave if you are not going back to work for me in the future? If so, when can I move to the UK??? Oh wait, I can't have babies any longer. Shoot.

Originally Posted by MrsOwen
Thanks Lisa

I have tried looking for information about this all on line but can't seem to find anything.

My husband will have good health insurance I am informed.

Out of interest, when we get our Visa's, do we have to leave the UK together?

Basically I want to work here until I can start my maternity leave , thus making the most of my benefits! (a year off with 9 months pay!)

What are the benefits of dual citizenship other than the obvious? At this stage the move is only going to be for a few years so we would want baby to have a british passport, but clearly having a US one too would be good for them in their future?

Thanks again for the advice.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Will your company pay you for maternity leave if you are not going back to work for me in the future?
That was my thought too Rete - and surely you have to actually be living in the UK to be eligible for a UK government benefit?!? I know that to get my maternity pay both times I had to give certain forms which were standard and filled in by my doctor etc - so those wouldn't be available if she was living in the US.

BTW - congrats to the OP.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 3:58 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

One thing to consider and happened to a friend of mine three years ago. She is as far as she is concerned a Brit through and through. She was born in New York and the family moved back to the UK when she was six months. She had been to the states many times until that one morning at Heathrow...

When she checked in for a flight to the US, she was denied boarding as her place of birth was the U.S therefore she was a US citizen and must enter on her US passport. That was a bit of an issue as she didn't have one. Well, turns out they have a little consular office at LHR and she received a valid travel doc and she made the flight. Scary tho'
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:06 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Voltore
When she checked in for a flight to the US, she was denied boarding as her place of birth was the U.S therefore she was a US citizen and must enter on her US passport. That was a bit of an issue as she didn't have one. Well, turns out they have a little consular office at LHR and she received a valid travel doc and she made the flight. Scary tho'
Why is it scary? She was a USC and should have been in possession of a US passport and should have been using it when entering the US.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:10 pm
Cornish Pasty Lover

Originally Posted by Rete
Why is it scary? She was a USC and should have been in possession of a US passport and should have been using it when entering the US.
Because she thought she would miss the flight and that would mean money. She had been in and out about 20 times before with no issues including the month before. No-one ever said a peep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.