Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:59 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking your gun to another state drama...

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
The aforementioned book should be mandatory reading for anyone who is considering owning a firearm and is especially relevant for those who wish to conceal/open carry (as appropriate per individual state laws).
Kill a murderous robber in front of your 5 year old, who gets to watch what you did to another human being - Ayoob captures these moments, with no remedy, just the thought. The guy is a national treasure.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:03 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I think she's more interested in your cannon balls.
is that really a she?? either way stop it....I'm getting a chubby!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:12 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
massads opinion.
a shot aimed at a criminal will be justifiable or excusable if it hits an innocent party, but pay particular attention to the mention of negligence as a factor in unitentional homicide. If it can be proved you were negligent or reckless in firing the wild shot, you liable for damages and conviction.
The same applies if you engage a robber lets say in a bank, then follow him outside, you "set the stage" and could be liable for any injuries outside, where you took the fight.
Hi:

I bolded above because the shot was fired with intent to kill and kill it did.

On the liability end of things, I spent a lot of time in law school classes on criminal law and torts -- and memories give me a headache. You can have different levels of criminal and of civil liability. And conduct, at least in Model Penal Code states [I never practiced in such a jurisdiction, but for my McDonald voting case I had to learn "intentionally," "recklessly," "knowingly" and "negligently" for the various levels of mens rea required for the definition of such crimes.]

There is a little beastie called "strict liability" in tort law which can deal with something inherently dangerous. The example often given was a lion in a cage. No matter what level of care you take, if that lion gets out, your are liable for the actions of your lion.

One thing that I think that everybody agrees on is that firearms happen to be lethal, and in fact are usually designed to be lethal.

An interesting subject.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Oh, I know that. I was referring to the perp-with-gun-pulling-trigger-when-hit scenario... many things can cause reflexive muscle contration, and I'm wondering how often a bad guy reflexively fires a round after being hit by cop (or armed citizen). Certainly it's possible, but it's a hard thing to gather data on.
Hi:

Also, from what the Army told me, dropping the weapon can cause a discharge. However, we were also taught that shooting from a standing position was often a bad idea -- for reasons of hitting your target and being a large target yourself. However, we were also "quick kill" for targets less than 5 meters away -- don't aim, quickly point in correct direction and pull on the trigger [and not the practiced trigger pull].
Old Mar 24th 2009, 6:03 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Kill a murderous robber in front of your 5 year old, who gets to watch what you did to another human being - Ayoob captures these moments, with no remedy, just the thought. The guy is a national treasure.
and do you wipe your cum off your guns with a towel or a kleenex after you've wanked over them?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:03 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
and do you wipe your cum off your guns with a towel or a kleenex after you've wanked over them?
Oh me oh my.

What about Penguin? She seems more than a little aroused.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If miss Penguin was a supreme justice we'd all be livin in a much safer place
You will notice that she's a Super Mod here. We are secure.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:48 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

hows the original guy doing?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Their lawyer has spoken to the DA who made promising noises, but they won't know until his court date which is in about 3 weeks.

I'll post and let you know the outcome then.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:47 pm
Carmel Indiana

Nar I let the dog lick it off she loves it, and it does wonders for her coat.

Besides Wythenshawe Kid, I thought you'd be well into guns.

Last edited by paul1968mcr; Mar 24th 2009 at 9:49 pm. Reason: woof woof
Old Mar 24th 2009, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

Hi there:

A final philosophical comment. Although done somewhat in jest, I was serious in pointing out grounds of commonality in our thoughts. I was taking your comments quite seriously.

I think we are in agreement on the following: firearms are dangerous and lethal; those who have firearms should know how to use them including what I call "range safety" on and off the range; there are certain people who simply should not be allowed to have them [the "bad guys"].

As an attorney, I know advocacy to make a point when I see it. Personally, I think that you happen to like owning and carrying at least one firearm -- and many of the arguments you posit are to support what you believe in the first place.

As for me, I step back and take a look at the broader questions. I believe that freedom and responsibility are the flip sides of the same coin. I get the feeling that you agree with me on that. I have not seen you deny that the freedom to carry also has concomitant responsibilities.

And there is the general question in society as to the various degrees of homicide including that which is perfectly permissible.

A while back, another poster on a different thread tried to ram the movie Defiance down my throat. However, from the end of the Bar Kochba revolt in 135, the idea of avoiding armed defense was actually a community survival strategy -- and one that worked very well -- until 1942. Not a bad run, in my opinion. If it doesn't work, then bear arms and know how to use them -- and also recognize the responsibilities that go with it.

As an aside, being a Californian -- it used to be that organized crime in the Chinese community traditionally did not use firearms. Not that they were philosophically opposed to the things -- just that if a white person got hit by a bullet, there would be a huge race riot in which the Chinese would lose. By the 1970's, when there was no danger of a race riot, firearms became the weapons of choice for their dastardly deeds.

I hope that I have given people, including you, food for thoughts.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:03 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Besides Wythenshawe Kid, I thought you'd be well into guns.
Guns for show
Knives for a pro
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:19 pm
Carmel Indiana

Guns for show
Knives for a pro
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Bit of trivia for ya, If within' 21 feet, a knife wielding attacker will get close enough to stab an armed man with a holstered firearm, before getting the crap shot out of him.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:39 pm
@matthewb76

Never bring a knife to a gun fight.

Bit of trivia for ya, If within' 21 feet, a knife wielding attacker will get close enough to stab an armed man with a holstered firearm, before getting the crap shot out of him.
or just don't go to gun fights.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:42 pm
Carmel Indiana

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi there:

A final philosophical comment. Although done somewhat in jest, I was serious in pointing out grounds of commonality in our thoughts. I was taking your comments quite seriously.

I think we are in agreement on the following: firearms are dangerous and lethal; those who have firearms should know how to use them including what I call "range safety" on and off the range; there are certain people who simply should not be allowed to have them [the "bad guys"].

As an attorney, I know advocacy to make a point when I see it. Personally, I think that you happen to like owning and carrying at least one firearm -- and many of the arguments you posit are to support what you believe in the first place.

As for me, I step back and take a look at the broader questions. I believe that freedom and responsibility are the flip sides of the same coin. I get the feeling that you agree with me on that. I have not seen you deny that the freedom to carry also has concomitant responsibilities.

And there is the general question in society as to the various degrees of homicide including that which is perfectly permissible.

A while back, another poster on a different thread tried to ram the movie Defiance down my throat. However, from the end of the Bar Kochba revolt in 135, the idea of avoiding armed defense was actually a community survival strategy -- and one that worked very well -- until 1942. Not a bad run, in my opinion. If it doesn't work, then bear arms and know how to use them -- and also recognize the responsibilities that go with it.

As an aside, being a Californian -- it used to be that organized crime in the Chinese community traditionally did not use firearms. Not that they were philosophically opposed to the things -- just that if a white person got hit by a bullet, there would be a huge race riot in which the Chinese would lose. By the 1970's, when there was no danger of a race riot, firearms became the weapons of choice for their dastardly deeds.

I hope that I have given people, including you, food for thoughts.
I would recommend the book spoken about earlier if your interested, he tries to get across the very points you refer to - The Guys a serving LEO of almost 30 years, certified expert witness in self defence shooting, plus he holds a variety of shooting trophys. He's editor of a number of firearm publications and the US army have adopted his tecniques into their pistol training programme. His training methods have been adopted by Police forces all over the states - The Chief of Police in my town was pleased I'd read his book when I had my CCW interview.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.