Solar Eclipse

Old Jul 18th 2017, 12:51 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar Eclipse

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
Denver is slated as 93% partial coverage, sounds good enough for me.
You won't even notice a difference unless you're specifically looking at the sun... with protective eyewear, of course. I belong to the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada - and a good friend once said: Even 99% of totality is still not totality... and there is no substitute at all for totality!

FWIW, I think you should make the effort!

Ian
Old Jul 18th 2017, 10:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Y...I belong to the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada - and...
You wouldn't happen to have any recommendations for sites to get, or products, to go over lenses of a camera?

It's all gibberish to me and the cost ranges from $45-150 and I don't know if it makes a difference. For a one off thing, the pricier end seems a bit of a vanity, but I don't want to blow out my camera sensor either...though something that is adjustable that could then be used as a filter for long exposure shots for water scenes would be useful too.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

I believe we are 95% + here. I could travel an hour north alongside the expected 60,000 other people to see the 100%. I'll settle for the 95%+ since I'll be in class anyway.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smartyy
I believe we are 95% + here. I could travel an hour north alongside the expected 60,000 other people to see the 100%. I'll settle for the 95%+ since I'll be in class anyway.
Its worth the hour. You're not in the path of the 2024 eclipse.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You wouldn't happen to have any recommendations for sites to get, or products, to go over lenses of a camera?

It's all gibberish to me and the cost ranges from $45-150 and I don't know if it makes a difference. For a one off thing, the pricier end seems a bit of a vanity, but I don't want to blow out my camera sensor either...though something that is adjustable that could then be used as a filter for long exposure shots for water scenes would be useful too.
Up to totality, you can use a welding glass
Old Jul 18th 2017, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Its worth the hour. You're not in the path of the 2024 eclipse.
Not sure if I could bring myself to miss school or not. Then again it might be inside the break between class and work if I'm lucky!
Old Jul 18th 2017, 11:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I bought 5 eclipse glasses from here. I gave one to each of my 5 graduate students, one each for me Sheila... and then I plan on adapting the last 3 pair of lenses to cover two pair of binoculars, and my video camera. If it works - great, if it doesn't - I'll still be able to watch the whole thing.

There's another total solar eclipse in 2024 that'll bisect the US.

Ian
Old Jul 18th 2017, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Also crossing through Carbondale Illionois, but coming at it via New York state IIRC.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

Also crossing through Carbondale Illionois, but coming at it via New York state IIRC.
One of my graduate assistants is from Carbondale. Sheila and I are heading to Upper Sandusky, OH for the 2024 one!

Ian
Old Jul 19th 2017, 2:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

No, same direction - west to east, but starting west of the coast of Mexico, then across Texas, Arkansas Missouri, Illinois and heading for upstate New York, very close to the Canadian border with New England, then across north Maine, and "the Maritimes" of eastern Canada, to the north of Nova Scotia, before heading off into the northern Atlantic, finally ending several hundred miles west of France.
Old Jul 19th 2017, 3:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Up to totality, you can use a welding glass
Neat...I'll see if I can borrow one from someone. Might be a cheap option for the camera
Old Jul 19th 2017, 1:48 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Ian
This is the one that'll come fairly close to us. We're starting our planning already, for 'watching' it (--with special glasses/viewers, of course--) from the banks of Lake Champlain....

Only 7 years away!
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

There has been a lot of press coverage regarding fake glasses. Check yours.

As eclipse nears, astronomers warn about fake solar glasses - seattlepi.com
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mrken30
There has been a lot of press coverage regarding fake glasses. Check yours.

As eclipse nears, astronomers warn about fake solar glasses - seattlepi.com
True, but one thing which isn't being made clear is that AT TOTALITY you can remove the glasses !!
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 5:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Just read this story

A great and free way to safely view a solar eclipse is with a mirror and a large blank wall. If you use a small mirror (about 4" across round or square) you can bounce the image of the sun onto the side of a building where everyone can view it. During the last solar eclipse in our area, I was working downtown and had gone outside with a bunch of co-workers to watch the eclipse. One of them had a small piece of glass from a welders mask. We were all passing it around looking at the sun waiting for the eclipse to start. When someone in the crowd whipped out a small makeup mirror and reflected the sun onto the side of the parking garage right next door. There was a beautiful full circle of sun about 8-10 feet across displayed on the building. As the eclipse progressed you could watch the "shape" of the sun change on the side of the garage. Over 200 people stood there and watched it. It was much more convenient and cheaper than everyone buying a pair of glasses or welding glass. here is a youtube video of someone projecting an eclipse onto a bedsheet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.