Solar Eclipse

Old Jun 23rd 2017, 2:53 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar Eclipse

Originally Posted by Rete
Thanks for bringing this event to my attention. Was not aware of it at all. Apparently MS is not in a good spot for viewing the total eclipse. Oh well!
Hmmm, MS looks better for viewing the August 2017 eclipse than my part of New England....

https://ncics.org/portfolio/monitor/eclipse-2017/

Which part of MS are you in? The northern part of MS is in the 90% Solar Obscuration zone, which means that you'll see 90% of the sun disappear. The whole rest of your state is in the 75% obscuration zone, so three quarters disappear. Not so bad.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 3:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Coastal so we will be in the 75% range. I actually prefer viewing a moon eclipse which I was fortunate to see not that long ago while living in NY.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 3:06 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
WEBlue....thanks for the reminder - and for the impetus to purchase this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new

$6.00/free shipping for 10pr. of glasses for viewing.
This brings up an important point...which I'm certain all of you know, but which bears repeating anyway....

Eclipse Essential: Protect Your Eyes

The eclipse should only be viewed with protective eyewear designated for use during an eclipse. Ordinary sunglasses or 3D glasses lack sufficient protection!

It’s important to take precautions when viewing the eclipse. The partial phases of the eclipse can last between 2 to 3 hours; at its longest, the total eclipse will last 2 minutes and 40 seconds. Direct viewing of the partial phases can cause permanent damage to your eyes because of the intensity of the sunlight. The eclipse should only be viewed with protective eyewear designated for use during an eclipse. Ordinary sunglasses or 3D glasses lack sufficient protection. Also, avoid viewing through unfiltered cameras, telescopes, binoculars, or other optical devices.
https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/ready-set-eclipse

Last edited by WEBlue; Jun 23rd 2017 at 3:08 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 3:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I recall from days as a youngster that you need two pieces of paper/cardboard. One piece is to have a small hole in it. You stand with your back to the eclipse and the unpierced paper in your right hand, the pierced paper in your left with them overlapped each other with about 12 inches between them. You can them watch the eclipse occur on the paper without risk of damaging your eyes.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 3:51 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I recall from days as a youngster that you need two pieces of paper/cardboard. One piece is to have a small hole in it. You stand with your back to the eclipse and the unpierced paper in your right hand, the pierced paper in your left with them overlapped each other with about 12 inches between them. You can them watch the eclipse occur on the paper without risk of damaging your eyes.
I was on the roof of the office building for the 1999 eclipse, which was a partial eclipse in London. The sky was clear and blue at the time of the eclipse, with just one small thin cloud in the sky, which blew in front of the sun moments before the Eclipse and had moved within a few seconds of the end of the eclipse, but those of us in that small part of London got to see the eclipse directly, through the cloud.

This time I will be investing in some approved glasses.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

I was in London for the 1999 eclipse also, standing on the Thames path in the City. Now we are in Charleston, SC so won't have to travel to see it. Unfortunately summer afternoons often bring cloud so it may not be visible here
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 4:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I remember us all filing out of school in the late 1950s to sit on the lawn and watch a solar eclipse. We had all been instructed to bring a dark photo negative to hold up to watch it through. I think we were more interested in being outdoors during school hours than in watching the eclipse!
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I recall from days as a youngster that you need two pieces of paper/cardboard.
I remember hearing this also. This is one of my favorite pics...

Ian
Attached Thumbnails Solar Eclipse-partial-solar-eclipse.jpg  
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 7:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Has any one had any experience trying to take a photo of one? Bright enough to nuke the sensor or not?
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 8:56 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I remember hearing this also. This is one of my favorite pics...

Ian
Cool!
Old Jun 24th 2017, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

The schools here are closed on the day of the eclipse so the kids can all watch it. (The school year starts on August 17) Charleston is supposed to get a pretty good total eclipse. We are considering going to the beach, along with most of the town probably, to watch it.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 12:59 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I was on the roof of the office building for the 1999 eclipse, which was a partial eclipse in London. The sky was clear and blue at the time of the eclipse, with just one small thin cloud in the sky, which blew in front of the sun moments before the Eclipse and had moved within a few seconds of the end of the eclipse, but those of us in that small part of London got to see the eclipse directly, through the cloud.

This time I will be investing in some approved glasses.
I was in London too, Oxford St/Marble Arch. I remember it the same way.

I wasn't aware of the imminent one, but now I am thinking about a road trip, to incorporate being on the line at the right time. I did a google and I could potentially do 6 states in 3 days -FL,GA,SC,NC,AL,TN -1600 miles. I think it would be cool to be at the border of GA,NC,SC at the time. Nearest point- Dillard GA. If anyone knows the area, I'm interested, this is just based on looking at google maps! Weather sounds like a downer!
Old Jun 24th 2017, 11:42 am
Under blue skies

This--the pinhole projector-- is still one of the most recommended methods for watching an eclipse.
Instructions here:
Observing the Sun for Yourself

Other NASA recommendations:
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety

The most dangerous to the eyes is the partial eclipse, apparently.
Old Jun 24th 2017, 12:25 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

For those interested, this is the web site I'm using to track the eclipse path. Total Solar Eclipse 2017 - Path Through the United States. You can zoom in and see exactly how long the eclipse will last from any point.

Ian
Old Jun 24th 2017, 2:09 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Essentially you are making a pinhole camera without film. You can project onto any suitable surface as shown elsewhere in the thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.