Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

the Scottish independence issue

the Scottish independence issue

Old Aug 18th 2014, 9:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the Scottish independence issue

The queen was visiting Scotland and Alex Salmond stopped by.

HM: Good morning

Mr. Salmond Salmond: Good morning Ma'am, may I have your opinion

HM: Certainly Salmond: When we gain independance, should we call it a Kingdom so I can be a King?

HM: Oh we don't like that

Salmond: How about a Princilality? Then I'd be a Prince?

HM: Lets just call it a country.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 9:22 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't he want a new title?
Old Aug 18th 2014, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

HM: Good morning Mr. Salmond

Salmond: Good morning Ma'am, may I have your opinion

HM: Certainly

Salmond: When we gain independence, should we call it a Kingdom so I can be a King?

Old Aug 18th 2014, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

But there again.....another stop over on the way down here from Scotland.......this time in a place called CARNFORTH - again in Lancashire, and a place made famous apparently because the train station there (which is still fully operational) was the setting for much of the action in a WW2 romantic drama film called "Brief Encounter".

I went into a fairly large supermarket there as I needed to stock up at home but even though this was the "North" in an English perspective there was certainly no sign of any kind of "depression and social deprivation"....it was early Saturday afternoon, again...the store was heaving.... and most of the trolleys people were pushing around were packed to the gunnels with just about everything imaginable...from foodstufs to just about everything else beside.....NORTH

It was almost like being in Waitrose here in CHELTENHAM......SOUTH
Old Aug 19th 2014, 2:26 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
But there again.....another stop over on the way down here from Scotland.......this time in a place called CARNFORTH - again in Lancashire, and a place made famous apparently because the train station there (which is still fully operational) was the setting for much of the action in a WW2 romantic drama film called "Brief Encounter".

I went into a fairly large supermarket there as I needed to stock up at home but even though this was the "North" in an English perspective there was certainly no sign of any kind of "depression and social deprivation"....it was early Saturday afternoon, again...the store was heaving.... and most of the trolleys people were pushing around were packed to the gunnels with just about everything imaginable...from foodstufs to just about everything else beside.....NORTH

Its funny, when drew the first comparison between Bacup and Winchester, I thought it was an odd pairing. I nearly posted to ask for a comparison between York or Harrogate and Wapping or Catford, but then thought better as I am so far out of touch with London these days that I didn't know what those places are like now I think there are nice, affluent areas up north, and there are crappy run down areas in the South. Its just there may be more of the former down South, and more of the latter up North!
Old Aug 19th 2014, 5:04 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Oy! In the North, men are men and women are strong!

I bypassed Cirencester yesterday....although I now live fairly close by in Cheltenham I have yet to visit all the Roman remains in what was once the Roman fortress of Corinium...not good, seeing as I am a member of the UK Association for Roman Archaeology.
Nothing like seeing foundations and light up automated displays

Pete
Old Aug 19th 2014, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

That line drawn between the estuaries of the Severn and the Humber just has to be the much quoted "North/South Divide" in England.

I sort of saw that for myself not all that long ago.....driving back to Cheltenham from Edinburgh I made a detour so as to enable me to visit a friend in Manchester.

I stopped off at a small(ish) town in Lancashire called Bacup It was a Saturday and it really did look quite a depressing and depressed place, quite run down in parts and it seemed as if a number of shops had closed down and out of business...and others were charity shops. Many of the people walking around looked quite depressing as well - quite scruffy and down at heel so to speak. All in all quite a cheerless little place, and the cloudy, dull weather did not help much either......NORTH

Had you gone 5 miles one way, you would have been in Rawtenstall, a different prospect altogether, 5 miles the other, Todmorden, birthplace of two Nobel prize winners, and 3 miles the other side of THAT Hebden Bridge, one of the most bohemian towns in the world allegedly.

You unfortunately hit Bacup first...
Similarly, there are depressed areas around Winchester
Old Aug 20th 2014, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler

HM: Good morning Mr. Salmond

Salmond: Good morning Ma'am, may I have your opinion

HM: Certainly

Salmond: When we gain independence, should we call it a Kingdom so I can be a King?

Im glad you cleared that up.Going by Mr Pulakis's joke the queen is talking to herself and we all know the Royal family are totally sane
Old Aug 20th 2014, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it was giro day and or pension day but the "North" of England has been screwed as much as Scotland,just saying .
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:12 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Maybe it was giro day and or pension day but the "North" of England has been screwed as much as Scotland,just saying .
And working class people in the South (priced out of housing).
Old Aug 20th 2014, 1:40 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Everyone in the UK has been s¢rëwed, that's why many of us emigrated and have no intention of returning! ....... Maybe there should be a referendum on giving the population of the UK freedom from the British government?
Old Aug 20th 2014, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving
And working class people in the South (priced out of housing).
Indeed - my family in the North (Truck mechanic, fireman, school secretary, office manager) all have a significantly better standard of living than they could hope to achieve in the South in similar jobs.
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 10:40 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Soon...

Old Aug 22nd 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
So we'll put him down as "undecided" then , shall we?
Old Aug 22nd 2014, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
So we'll put him down as "undecided" then , shall we?
There's a 55% chance he's a "no".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.