Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Restrictions on travel

Restrictions on travel

Old Jan 12th 2017, 4:52 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restrictions on travel

Originally Posted by morpeth
Spoken like a true believer.

I think both sides on the left and right are wrong when their actions and tactics go beyond civil and reasoned debate and try to force their views on others especially in suppressing free speech such as often one comes across in universities in the USA these days.

The right may wish to pass laws formulated from their own religious views that effect others, while the left from their secular point of view wishes to pass laws that infringe upon the religious views of others.
What I dislike the most about right wing conservatism is it's dislike of such things as Social Security, Medicare and downright plain hatred of the ACA.
I hate to think what that little weasel Paul Ryan plans to do with Medicare. Why do they hate these programs so much ?

If the ACA is repealed then California for example will lose about 16 billion dollars in revenue, around four million people will find themselves once more without coverage and many jobs lost in hospitals and other medical facilities.

The saddest part is that a considerable amount of California money goes to Red states whose GOP governors and legislatures must be jumping up and down with sheer joy like monkeys in a cage over the very possible demise of the ACA

Fortunately the system allows for national elections every four years because if it were otherwise secession would become a very appealing prospect to many
Old Jan 13th 2017, 11:08 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Spoken like a true believer.
What is it that you think I am truly believing in, exactly?

I think both sides on the left and right are wrong when their actions and tactics go beyond civil and reasoned debate and try to force their views on others especially in suppressing free speech such as often one comes across in universities in the USA these days.

The right may wish to pass laws formulated from their own religious views that effect others, while the left from their secular point of view wishes to pass laws that infringe upon the religious views of others.
This is an example of what I'm referring to. Do you have something similar, from the left, to show the class?

Old Jan 14th 2017, 12:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
What I dislike the most about right wing conservatism is it's dislike of such things as Social Security, Medicare and downright plain hatred of the ACA.
I hate to think what that little weasel Paul Ryan plans to do with Medicare. Why do they hate these programs so much ?

If the ACA is repealed then California for example will lose about 16 billion dollars in revenue, around four million people will find themselves once more without coverage and many jobs lost in hospitals and other medical facilities.

The saddest part is that a considerable amount of California money goes to Red states whose GOP governors and legislatures must be jumping up and down with sheer joy like monkeys in a cage over the very possible demise of the ACA

Fortunately the system allows for national elections every four years because if it were otherwise secession would become a very appealing prospect to many
Republican's don't seem to be wasting much time...

Obamacare repeal vote passes in U.S. House of Representatives - National | Globalnews.ca

Suppose it's a good thing we didn't gamble and move to the US.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 5:58 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Republican's don't seem to be wasting much time...

Obamacare repeal vote passes in U.S. House of Representatives - National | Globalnews.ca

Suppose it's a good thing we didn't gamble and move to the US.
A lot of the GOP are now feeling nervous about repealing the ACA. Some have expressed concerns about what will happen to those covered by the ACA once it's removed. I have to wonder why this feeling of concern has now suddenly manifested itself at this late date.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 6:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Leslie

This is an example of what I'm referring to. Do you have something similar, from the left, to show the class?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w83kIAfuKoE
Well duh I'm sure he can show us somewhere in the bible that says all gay people should be stoned/crucified to death.

Last edited by dc koop; Jan 14th 2017 at 6:04 am.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w83kIAfuKoE
My comment simply that extremism and intolerance from either the extreme left or the extreme right is equally wrong. Whether one group of fanatics is any less abhorrent than another doesn't mean either is correct, or that closed minds because of rigid ideology whether of the left or right is conducive to understanding.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I think both parties have outlived their relevance as they both wish to tinker with a system that isn't working for millions of Americans, and also both lack the courage go confront the medical industry on outrageous high costs.

The Republicans tinker with wanting to address the deficit and for some reason blind to the simple fact that with all of its faults the ACA helped millions, without proposing any viable alternative. Social security is a flawed system that needs to be reformed. Some bold initiatives could resolve the issue but the Republicans don't have the ideas to do so, but also the Democrats and Republicans cant get together to solve for the benefit of the country. The solutions are actually fairly simple

Just as the Democrats think that their own desire to tinker with the system will create the environment that business needs to propel growth. What can be more absurd than thinking increasing taxes and regulation on business is going to promote growth ?

The growing inequality over the last 20 years , stagnant real wages, a staggering increase in recipients of food stamps the last 25 years, outrageous medical costs, high corporate taxes all problems that should be addressed boldly yet in the extreme partisan nature of the country won't be.

If one took the good ideas of Republicans and Democrats alike, and the politicians had the courage and patriotism to address these issues, policies could be developed to improve the situation going forward. Wont happen with this lot though.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 12:36 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

My comment simply that extremism and intolerance from either the extreme left or the extreme right is equally wrong. Whether one group of fanatics is any less abhorrent than another doesn't mean either is correct, or that closed minds because of rigid ideology whether of the left or right is conducive to understanding.
Unless you can show an example of left-wing extremism, in recent US history, then your comment is simply a useless platitude. The implication of this platitude is that 'both sides do it and they should just stop their silly nonsense'.

I'm not talking about rude people mouthing off on internet forums or the personal beliefs that private citizens hold. I'm talking about people in positions of power who affect public policy. The video I linked (of the preacher calling for the death of gay people) was at a conference where three presidential candidates also spoke. Ted Cruz, a sitting US Senator, spoke directly after the preacher. As a matter of fact, the preacher actually introduced the lawmaker (Mr. Cruz). Bobby Jindal, who at that time was sitting governor in the state of Louisiana, also spoke at the conference; as did Mike Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and (at that time) a candidate for POTUS. How can gay people possibly feel safe in their own country?

This country, that I love, is taking a concerning turn toward nationalism and intolerance directed at alternate cultures and lifestyles. It is becoming acceptable to publicly threaten and ridicule gay people and those with non-Christian belief systems as well as racial and ethnic minorities.

There are no current equivalencies on the left. This is not the 1960s. The Weather Underground is not out there bombing anybody. Even at the height of left-wing radicalism, the left-wing radicals never held a position of political power. They were a small minority and were overwhelmingly reviled. They may have made their point but they didn't run this country.

If you want to re-litigate the 1960s, that's fine. But at least be honest about it. Earlier in this thread, comments were made about about communism being more influential, and higher in numbers, than the KKK. Not only was that a false equivalency it was a flat-out lie. You did acknowledge the untruth of that statement but then you went on to say 'but the left does it too'.

You are entitled to your own opinion but you are not entitled to your own facts.

Last edited by Leslie; Jan 14th 2017 at 2:06 pm. Reason: cogency
Old Jan 14th 2017, 1:12 pm
WTF?

Well duh I'm sure he can show us somewhere in the bible that says all gay people should be stoned/crucified to death.
What?

There might be less arguing on this forum if people would take the time to express themselves with even the tiniest bit of cogency. Then again, that could make it worse.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 4:52 pm
Banned

I think both parties have outlived their relevance as they both wish to tinker with a system that isn't working for millions of Americans, and also both lack the courage go confront the medical industry on outrageous high costs.

The Republicans tinker with wanting to address the deficit and for some reason blind to the simple fact that with all of its faults the ACA helped millions, without proposing any viable alternative. Social security is a flawed system that needs to be reformed. Some bold initiatives could resolve the issue but the Republicans don't have the ideas to do so, but also the Democrats and Republicans cant get together to solve for the benefit of the country. The solutions are actually fairly simple

Just as the Democrats think that their own desire to tinker with the system will create the environment that business needs to propel growth. What can be more absurd than thinking increasing taxes and regulation on business is going to promote growth ?

The growing inequality over the last 20 years , stagnant real wages, a staggering increase in recipients of food stamps the last 25 years, outrageous medical costs, high corporate taxes all problems that should be addressed boldly yet in the extreme partisan nature of the country won't be.

If one took the good ideas of Republicans and Democrats alike, and the politicians had the courage and patriotism to address these issues, policies could be developed to improve the situation going forward. Wont happen with this lot though.
Whys is Social Security a flawed system that needs to be reformed? it's worked well enough for the past 80 plus years.

What needs to be done is to send every lobbyist in Washington packing with a hard kick up the ass. The drug manufacturers for instance have been lining the pockets of politicians of both parties for years. The rise of the cost of drugs is a crisis that will in the near future parallel that of the collapse of the lending institutions, banks and housing market in 2008

Lobbying and the influencing of politicians through monetary donations is quite plainly blatant corruption. Both Obama and Trump have spoken out against it. Obama failed to put an end to it. Let's hope that Trump succeeds
Old Jan 14th 2017, 5:01 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Whys is Social Security a flawed system that needs to be reformed? it's worked well enough for the past 80 plus years.

What needs to be done is to send every lobbyist in Washington packing with a hard kick up the ass. The drug manufacturers for instance have been lining the pockets of politicians of both parties for years. The rise of the cost of drugs is a crisis that will in the near future parallel that of the collapse of the lending institutions, banks and housing market in 2008

Lobbying and the influencing of politicians through monetary donations is quite plainly blatant corruption. Both Obama and Trump have spoken out against it. Obama failed to put an end to it. Let's hope that Trump succeeds

Just look at the Dems voting against the bill to allow us to import cheaper drugs, and how much money they've received from the pharmaceutical industry. Cory Booker, I'm looking at you.

It's essentially bribery and it really shouldn't be legal. I doubt Trump will do anything about it, but if he does I'll be the first to give him a round of applause.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Social Security’s combined reserves likely will be fully depleted by 2034, according to the trustees’ intermediate forecast. The disability-insurance trust fund could run dry as soon as the end of 2016, while the old-age and survivors’ fund is expected to be depleted in 2035 – assuming it’s not tapped to backfill the disability fund.
Lobbyist and Politicians, well they could start by refusing the handouts, how likely is that.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 4:20 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Wintersong

Just look at the Dems voting against the bill to allow us to import cheaper drugs, and how much money they've received from the pharmaceutical industry. Cory Booker, I'm looking at you.

It's essentially bribery and it really shouldn't be legal. I doubt Trump will do anything about it, but if he does I'll be the first to give him a round of applause.
Any President who was worth his salt would make it very clear to the pharmaceutical industry that they either tale steps to lower the cost of drugs or face regulation and/ or the opening of the market to Canada and Europe and in all reality drugs from Canada and Europe are as safe as any manufactured in the US.

Last edited by dc koop; Jan 15th 2017 at 4:22 am.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 4:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any President who was worth his salt would make it very clear to the pharmaceutical industry that they either tale steps to lower the cost of drugs or face regulation and/ or the opening of the market to Canada and Europe and in all reality drugs from Canada and Europe are as safe as any manufactured in the US.
An eloquent demolishment of the ACA.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 4:30 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Boiler
Lobbyist and Politicians, well they could start by refusing the handouts, how likely is that.
Well it could be made a criminal offence. Politicians are elected by the ordinary people to represent their interests not to pander to wealthy special interest groups.

If you are liable to arrest by a police officer for offering him or her a bribe why shouldn't lobbyists be subject to the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.