Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Restrictions on travel

Restrictions on travel

Old Jan 10th 2017, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restrictions on travel

Originally Posted by tom169
Got some good family friends out there. I took a vacation once to stay with them. As I got off the flight from Chicago to Omaha Eppley airfield the first thing anyone said to me was "why would you want to come here on vacation?"

With that said, visiting the USA as a kid, even Nebraska, was amazing and quite fascinating.

I wouldn't consider living there though.
Just looking up the place on Google Maps to reminisce. It has a fantastic grid layout.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 4:52 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Got some good family friends out there. I took a vacation once to stay with them. As I got off the flight from Chicago to Omaha Eppley airfield the first thing anyone said to me was "why would you want to come here on vacation?"

With that said, visiting the USA as a kid, even Nebraska, was amazing and quite fascinating.

I wouldn't consider living there though.
We had a lucky escape from Nebraska. My daughter was engaged to a Navy SEAL from Nebraska. It never came to a wedding though. I could have ended up living the existence of the undead in Lincoln. Horrible thought !
Old Jan 10th 2017, 6:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

1,896,190 people apparently....Lol

Would not be high on my list of states though.

Originally Posted by dc koop
Who'd want to live in say Nebraska. You cant find a non-bible station on the car radio, it's all flat, all cornfields and lousy winters.

It's a fine upstanding red state though and I've heard that they're good at square dancing
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'll take my facts regarding Mormons in California and the gay-marriage proposition in 2008 against your normal unsubstantiated anecdotes.
Am unsure where I disagreed about what you stated about Mormons in California, and the gay-marriage proposition.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
1,896,190 people apparently ...
The population of Northern Ireland in an area the size of the Czech Republic. That doesn't actually seem too bad when put that way.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Am unsure where I disagreed about what you stated about Mormons in California, and the gay-marriage proposition.
I'm gently nudging you to see that California just might have more diversity of publicly stated opinion than you are trying to suggest through your normal "anecdotes".
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
The population of Northern Ireland in an area the size of the Czech Republic. That doesn't actually seem too bad when put that way.
No, it's bigger, nearer the size of the UK than the Czech Republic.

The US has such vast untapped agricultural potential, I don't know why they want to grow everything in California and cause water problems.

But fortunately we're getting a lot of rain now.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 9:19 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Two wrongs don't make a right.
Yes but it's not two wrongs is it?

One is an example of a privileged and entitled group that has pushed their views on everybody else for so long that, when they find that on occasion that they are unable to get away with it, they lose their minds and claim that they're the ones being oppressed. The other is a bunch of individuals who are minding their own business and actually are being bullied and oppressed by an organized group whose function it is to insert themselves in the lives of others and control their behaviors. I'll let you work out for yourself which one is which.

Last edited by Leslie; Jan 10th 2017 at 9:50 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Asg123
No, it's bigger, nearer the size of the UK than the Czech Republic.

The US has such vast untapped agricultural potential, I don't know why they want to grow everything in California and cause water problems.

But fortunately we're getting a lot of rain now.
Ability to grow year round?
Old Jan 10th 2017, 11:55 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
True the KKK is far more marginal than the communist party of America, and has quite less influence. A .001% joke.
Really? How do you know this? How do you measure "influence"? This is a strange statement ... one group is a political party, the other is a terrorist organization masquerading as a political party.

A quick internet search says there are significantly more avowed members of the KKK than that of the Communist Party of America. That doesn't include skinheads, the Aryan Brotherhood and white supremacist fringe groups in general. If we counted all of these groups I would say that the influence is significantly less marginal than that the Communist Party of America.

Based on my own personal observation ... the number of white supremacists who crawled out from under their rocks to support Trump were significantly higher in number than any "communists" who came out to support Bernie or even Hillary.
Old Jan 11th 2017, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Ability to grow year round?
Pretty much. But when I drive down the Central Valley and see signs saying "Is growing food wasting water" I can only answer that it is if you continue to grow monsoon crops and water intensive trees such as almonds in what is essentially a desert climate. Pun intended, it's nutty.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm gently nudging you to see that California just might have more diversity of publicly stated opinion than you are trying to suggest through your normal "anecdotes".
Good post as of course I am generalizing based on my own experiences in California and what I noticed in articles describing the situation. I actually look forward to hearing anecdotes as much of the media- either right or left- seems increasingly biased these days, hence the more information one gets the better.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Leslie
Really? How do you know this? How do you measure "influence"? This is a strange statement ... one group is a political party, the other is a terrorist organization masquerading as a political party.

A quick internet search says there are significantly more avowed members of the KKK than that of the Communist Party of America. That doesn't include skinheads, the Aryan Brotherhood and white supremacist fringe groups in general. If we counted all of these groups I would say that the influence is significantly less marginal than that the Communist Party of America.

Based on my own personal observation ... the number of white supremacists who crawled out from under their rocks to support Trump were significantly higher in number than any "communists" who came out to support Bernie or even Hillary.
While the Southern Poverty Defense League certainly not an unbiased source, they do keep close track on membership of right-wing groups, certainly their research just glancing at their website and public statements of their people, that membership in the KKK and other right wing groups far exceed that of the communist party.

The membership of the right wing groups such as the KKK does seem though very marginal overall, and from what I understand up to 25% of the membership of some of those groups are government informants.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Leslie
Yes but it's not two wrongs is it?

One is an example of a privileged and entitled group that has pushed their views on everybody else for so long that, when they find that on occasion that they are unable to get away with it, they lose their minds and claim that they're the ones being oppressed. The other is a bunch of individuals who are minding their own business and actually are being bullied and oppressed by an organized group whose function it is to insert themselves in the lives of others and control their behaviors. I'll let you work out for yourself which one is which.
Spoken like a true believer.

I think both sides on the left and right are wrong when their actions and tactics go beyond civil and reasoned debate and try to force their views on others especially in suppressing free speech such as often one comes across in universities in the USA these days.

The right may wish to pass laws formulated from their own religious views that effect others, while the left from their secular point of view wishes to pass laws that infringe upon the religious views of others.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 4:25 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Am I missing something here? There's no "restriction on travel".

AB 1887 prohibits a state agency, department, board, or commission from requiring any state employees, officers, or members to travel
They can still ask employees to go and if individual employees refuse, they can ask other employees.

It's clearly put in place so that nobody can be required, via their government employment, to go to a state where they may be subject to discrimination. Anybody can choose to go wherever the hell they want. What's the brouhaha?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.