Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT, sort of: Affidavit of Support.

OT, sort of: Affidavit of Support.

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 3:11 am
billypilgrim

Does the Affidavit of Support mean I have to have sufficient income on my own to support
my beloved until he becomes a citizen years and years from now, even once we are
established and he has enough of his own income to help support us? I'm asking this
because I hope that once we're settled and he's working, I can leave my demonic but
well-paying job to do something I enjoy more (like pounding nails into my own head
and anyone who has ever worked in telephone customer service for a utility will know
what I mean....), or even (dare I hope?) work part-time to pursue a long-dreamed-of
writing career.

Does the 125% of poverty apply to just my income, or to our combined incomes once he has a
US job? Right now, with me working where I'm working, it's certainly not an issue. But if
I were to pursue other options once we're settled in, and his income can't be counted, it
might become an issue.

I read this on the faq page at
http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/pu...ets/affaqa.htm

"3. If the sponsored immigrant qualifies as a household member or dependent, do they need
to sign the I-864A?

A sponsored immigrant household member only needs to submit an I-864A if his or her
income will be used to support his or her accompanying spouse and/or children. If
there are no accompanying family members, the sponsored immigrant does not complete
the I-864A. The sponsored immigrant does not need to complete an I-864A for his or
her assets to be included on the affidavit of support."

Am I correctly interpreting this as saying the sponsored spoused income DOES count?
And once the immigrant is HERE, do they no longer care as long as the person doesn't
try to go on welfare?

Oi, there is so much to learn.....

Beth

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 3:30 am
Alvena Ferreira

ONCE he has lived in the household with you for a minimum of 6 months, HIS income can ALSO
be counted...see this and other info at:
http://www2.apex.net/users/thehydes/...vitframes.html

alvena

>
> Does the Affidavit of Support mean I have to have sufficient income on my own to support
> my beloved until he becomes a citizen years and years from now, even once we are
> established and he has enough of his own income to help support us? I'm asking this
> because I hope that once we're settled and he's working, I can leave my demonic but
> well-paying job to do something I enjoy more (like pounding nails into my own head
> and anyone who has ever worked in telephone customer service for a utility will know
> what I mean....), or even (dare I hope?) work part-time to pursue a long-dreamed-of
> writing career.
>
> Does the 125% of poverty apply to just my income, or to our combined incomes once he has
> a US job? Right now, with me working where I'm working, it's certainly not an issue. But
> if I were to pursue other options once we're settled in, and his income can't be
> counted, it might become an issue.
>
> I read this on the faq page at
> http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/pu...ets/affaqa.htm
>
> "3. If the sponsored immigrant qualifies as a household member or dependent, do they
> need to sign the I-864A?
>
> A sponsored immigrant household member only needs to submit an I-864A if his or
> her income will be used to support his or her accompanying spouse and/or children.
> If there are no accompanying family members, the sponsored immigrant does not
> complete the I-864A. The sponsored immigrant does not need to complete an I-864A
> for his or her assets to be included on the affidavit of support."
>
> Am I correctly interpreting this as saying the sponsored spoused income DOES count?
> And once the immigrant is HERE, do they no longer care as long as the person doesn't
> try to go on welfare?
>
> Oi, there is so much to learn.....
>
> Beth

Old Feb 23rd 2001, 6:39 am
Diane M

As I understand it, the affidavit of support just means that the government can sue you if
your spouse applies for "means tested" benefits. They don't track your income over the
next 10 years. You may want to invest in a good typewriter.

Diane M.

> Does the Affidavit of Support mean I have to have sufficient income on my own to support
> my beloved until he becomes a citizen years and years from now, even once we are
> established and he has enough of his own income to help support us? I'm asking this
> because I hope that once we're settled and he's working, I can leave my demonic but
> well-paying job to do something I enjoy more (like pounding nails into my own head
> and anyone who has ever worked in telephone customer service for a utility will know
> what I mean....), or even (dare I hope?) work part-time to pursue a long-dreamed-of
> writing career.
>
> Does the 125% of poverty apply to just my income, or to our combined incomes once he has
> a US job? Right now, with me working where I'm working, it's certainly not an issue. But
> if I were to pursue other options once we're settled in, and his income can't be
> counted, it might become an issue.
>
> I read this on the faq page at
> http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/pu...ets/affaqa.htm
>
> "3. If the sponsored immigrant qualifies as a household member or dependent, do they
> need to sign the I-864A?
>
> A sponsored immigrant household member only needs to submit an I-864A if his or
> her income will be used to support his or her accompanying spouse and/or children.
> If there are no accompanying family members, the sponsored immigrant does not
> complete the I-864A. The sponsored immigrant does not need to complete an I-864A
> for his or her assets to be included on the affidavit of support."
>
> Am I correctly interpreting this as saying the sponsored spoused income DOES count?
> And once the immigrant is HERE, do they no longer care as long as the person doesn't
> try to go on welfare?
>
> Oi, there is so much to learn.....
>
> Beth