New fall TV shows

Old Sep 26th 2013, 2:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New fall TV shows

Originally Posted by Michael
When "Seinfeld" and "Taxi" originally started airing on TV, I only occasionally watched either program and didn't find either that funny. It wasn't until they started in syndication and was on TV every night that I got interested. Since then, I've probably watched each episode a half dozen times.

I still haven't gotten interested in "Friends" or "Two and a Half Men".

I really like "Family Guy" but never liked "The Simpsons".

I think it has something to do with understanding the characters.
Taxi was pretty funny when they showed it in the UK back in the early 80's, and I liked the Simpsons, though I haven't watched it for years. But most US "comedy" shows aren't worth the effort, endless reworking of family and friend relationships for amusement. There are no characters like Basil Fawlty, Fletcher, Arkwright, or Del Boy; they were interesting personalities, flawed but funny, though I don't see much evidence of Britain being able to create sitcoms of the caliber of those these days either.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Taxi was pretty funny when they showed it in the UK back in the early 80's, and I liked the Simpsons, though I haven't watched it for years. But most US "comedy" shows aren't worth the effort, endless reworking of family and friend relationships for amusement. There are no characters like Basil Fawlty, Fletcher, Arkwright, or Del Boy; they were interesting personalities, flawed but funny, though I don't see much evidence of Britain being able to create sitcoms of the caliber of those these days either.
I suspect the older you get, you immediately expect something unusual and different out of TV shows since you've seen similar plots before.

Currently there is not more than one or two TV shows that I watch regularly.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 3:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not watching any of the new shows, I tried to watch Mom but did not like it.

I am just gonna stick with the longer running shows I've been watching the last few years.

One show I did like but its not aired on network TV but on Netflix is the show Orange is the New Black, I watched all 13 episodes on 1 day.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I suspect the older you get, you immediately expect something unusual and different out of TV shows since you've seen similar plots before.

Currently there is not more than one or two TV shows that I watch regularly.
I think the comedy shows can be very formulaic.

Trying to think what makes me laugh over here.

Family Guy, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Portlandia, Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

Added: Childrens' Hospital, Key and Peele

Last edited by Sally Redux; Sep 26th 2013 at 4:40 am.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 12:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think the comedy shows can be very formulaic. ....
Exactly! Hasn't every possible permutation of possible domestic arrangement been fully explored for possible comic value, and just about every possible work setting too? The barrel has been scraped clean, and producers are scrubbing in the cracks and seams with a toothbrush looking for something that really isn't worth the effort.

I know, how about a sit-com set in a plumber and sewer repair business?
Old Sep 26th 2013, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

toopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond reputetoopie28 has a reputation beyond repute

I despise canned laughter in comedy's. That's a red flag. Mom had that - needed it - was terrible.

I'd only seen a couple of scenes from the original "The Office" which is why I watched Extras and really liked it.

SO you have to like the actors too.

I love "the Middle" - the kids do a great job but I also like the janitor from Scrubs and Ray's wife, Deb.

Watched Modern Family for Al Bundy and started to love the gay couple.

Love Veep - BUT you have to like JLD.

Anyone see "Back in the Game"?
Old Sep 26th 2013, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Yes I know there's a TV thread, which is about a thousand posts long, meh.

New TV show / My considered opinion of it

Betrayal / Didn't watch it for long, seemed crap
Mom (sitcom) / Crap
Low Winter Sun (drama) / Started off good then went crap
Sleepy Hollow (drama) / Crap
Dads (sitcom) / Painfully crap
The Blacklist (drama) / Hmm... not total crap but not that good
The Goldbergs (sitcom) / Dunno, fell asleep, not a good sign
Hostages (drama) / Crap
Brooklyn 99 (sitcom) / Moderately amusing
Lucky 7 (drama) / The story line seems a bit too obvious but it was okay, based on a UK show apparently.
We Are Men (sitcom) / Looked crap from the promos
Trophy Wife (sitcom) / Avoided it, looked crap from the promos
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD / Hmm... jury still out on that one. Storyline seemed a bit thin.

Still to come:

The Originals (drama)
Back in the Game (sitcom)
Super Fun Night (sitcom)
The Tomorrow People (drama) / (Based on the UK show I assume)
Ironside (drama) / (Promos don't inspire confidence)
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (drama)
The Millers (sitcom) / (promos look okay)
The Crazy Ones (sitcom) / (Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar but it looks a bit crap)
Reign (drama)
Welcome to the Family (sitcom)
Sean Saves the World (sitcom)
The Michael J. Fox Show (sitcom) / (looks massively overhyped)
Masterchef Junior (reality - supposedly)

The main positive is that the networks seem to have given up on new reality shows, finally.
Why don't you just stick to British TV, generally far far superior than anything the US channels put out.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 10:11 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
Why don't you just stick to British TV, generally far far superior than anything the US channels put out.
Some of the series are excelleny IMHO, Sons of Anarchy, Gray's Anatomy, Suits, Scandal, and many others, British TV usually has a 'series' of 4 or 5 episodes, which makes character development very difficult.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 11:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Some of the series are excelleny IMHO, Sons of Anarchy, Gray's Anatomy, Suits, Scandal, and many others, British TV usually has a 'series' of 4 or 5 episodes, which makes character development very difficult.
Exactly...there are some excellent US series...same for the UK. I watch the best of both worlds.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 12:00 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Have watched the first episodes of both of those, and lets agree to disagree..
The only thing that makes The Blacklist any good is James Spader and I have a feeling that will wear thin as his condescending smugness will only work for so many episodes. The basic plot about the FBI agent seemed a bit contrived to get a young sexy woman character into the show. Also lots of silliness in it like that big box they had him locked up in. Hostages was rubbish. It reminded me of the Mob Doctor which also cratered.

Anyway I watched Back in the Game which was surprisingly not crap. It certainly had all the essential ingredients for crapness, but it was actually quite funny I thought.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 12:05 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
You missed SAF3...that was the worst one yet.

Sleepy Hollow and the Blacklist were the best of the bunch. Hostages was okay but only for a mini series, it'll become Homeland if they stretch it out for a longer series.
Oddly Neilsen agrees with you, I thought Sleepy Hollow sucked, I wonder whether it will maintain its audience.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 12:09 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Adnams
You are joking. The only TV show worth watching on British TV is Top Gear.

I think perhaps I've lived here too long, I just can't take well-spoken British accents seriously in drama shows.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 12:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky 7

The storyline is exactly the same as the first UK series but the characters aren't as endearing. I only got through about 15 mins of it. If you've not seen the UK version you may enjoy it.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 5:27 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

The Crazy Ones sucked quite badly. The only bit that bordered on amusing was Sarah Michelle Gellar being forced to sing in the restaurant.

I'd heard that Robin Williams was having money problems, looks like he's not going to solve them...
Old Sep 27th 2013, 5:29 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Let's hope they soon give up on what they try to pass of as "comedy" too. I was recommended The Big Bang Theory as being "hilarious" by several colleagues. I tried watching a couple of episodes last year. ..... Good grief, is that the cutting edge of American humour?
I think it's quite good. All I can say is, try watching Two Broke Girls, how that has survived as long as it has is beyond my comprehension.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.