My lovely dog!

Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default My lovely dog!

If we had a dog house she'd be in it but we are in a 1 bed condo.
Since moving (week before last) she'd been fine but yesterday and today she had some separation anxiety and has been scrabbling at the bedroom doorway.
Consequently the carpet in the doorway is now knackered. Thought about a patch from some on the closet floor since it matches and then fixing the closet with something else but the carpet itself is so old and knackered the hessian backing is coming away etc etc so probably won't be possible.

Anyway. What's peoples experience with this from a tenant/landlord perspective? Would you expect just the room to be redone or given the carpet matches throughout that the whole place be done?
Would you also expect a bill for the retail amount? Or a depreciated price (given it 'looks' pretty old anyway) or something else???

I have accepted already this'll cost me something but wondering how it might pan out.

Cheers.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:57 am
Just Joined

sloulamp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My lovely dog!

I'd approach your landlord, and tell him/her whats happened, then haggle with them about what they wanna do. If the carpet aint up to much anyways I don't think they have too much of an argument. Also I don't know which state you're in, but see if there are any rules about how frequently carpets have to be replaced.
Good luck.... poor pooch must have missed ya!!
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Did you pay a non refundable pet deposit? That should be applied to the cost of repairs I would think.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's what the pet deposit and general deposit is for...
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
If we had a dog house she'd be in it but we are in a 1 bed condo.
Since moving (week before last) she'd been fine but yesterday and today she had some separation anxiety and has been scrabbling at the bedroom doorway.
Consequently the carpet in the doorway is now knackered. Thought about a patch from some on the closet floor since it matches and then fixing the closet with something else but the carpet itself is so old and knackered the hessian backing is coming away etc etc so probably won't be possible.

Anyway. What's peoples experience with this from a tenant/landlord perspective? Would you expect just the room to be redone or given the carpet matches throughout that the whole place be done?
Would you also expect a bill for the retail amount? Or a depreciated price (given it 'looks' pretty old anyway) or something else???

I have accepted already this'll cost me something but wondering how it might pan out.

Cheers.
Why don't you buy a crate for her? I always crate my dogs when I'm out and if I'm going out for a long time I section a part of the kitchen off so they can stretch their legs. The reason I do this is because one of my dogs died after chewing carpet...so I think it's much safer for them not to have the run of the house.

Dogs really like a safe place of their own. Leave her in a crate with an old article of your clothing for comfort.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Why don't you buy a crate for her? I always crate my dogs when I'm out and if I'm going out for a long time I section a part of the kitchen off so they can stretch their legs. The reason I do this is because one of my dogs died after chewing carpet...so I think it's much safer for them not to have the run of the house.

Dogs really like a safe place of their own. Leave her in a crate with an old article of your clothing for comfort.
Well we do put her in the bedroom to give her a safe haven. Maybe our bedroom is too big??? LOL
Crate is an idea though a little late now. Damage is done.
What I'm trying to gauge is whether the room or the aprtment will be done??
Be the difference between 180 sqft and 700 sqft if you see what I mean.
It's a commercial condo development rather than a private landlord.

We paid a pet deposit $800 but that won't cover the whole aprtment in new carpet. (unless some one knows a place in Marin that does a dollar a foot carpet deals?)

(Should have kept the crate we shipped her in!!!)
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

You may have to pay the difference between your deposit and the cost of new carpeting. So if the total was $1k for carpet, you could end up paying an add'l $200. But then again, you may not have to pay anythign add'l. Typically you pay a pet deposit as well as a general deposit. So depending on how much you paid for a deposit, then you may not have to pay anything add'l out of your pocket.

You just won't get your deposit back once you move out. Any add'l damages may have to be paid for at your expense though. But I'm not sure about this, as we've never had a problem.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Well we do put her in the bedroom to give her a safe haven. Maybe our bedroom is too big??? LOL
Crate is an idea though a little late now. Damage is done.
What I'm trying to gauge is whether the room or the aprtment will be done??
Be the difference between 180 sqft and 700 sqft if you see what I mean.
It's a commercial condo development rather than a private landlord.

We paid a pet deposit $800 but that won't cover the whole aprtment in new carpet. (unless some one knows a place in Marin that does a dollar a foot carpet deals?)

(Should have kept the crate we shipped her in!!!)
I know you were asking about the cost implications for the damage she's done but I was thinking about your dog.

I wouldn't think for a minute that you're gonna have to pay to have the whole place recarpeted. I would take photos of the carpets...just to be on the safe side. Why should you pay for a new bedroom carpet if the carpet was say 10 yrs old? Obviously it's gonna cost you...I would approach the management very sheepishly...apologising profusely.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

A crate is a good idea- I've used them quite a bit.

The only thing is - if dogs aren't used to them, especially if they have separation anxiety - they can REALLY freak out if crated. Break teeth on the bars even.

So if the OP tries this, she needs to introduce the dog to the crate very gradually, when she's home - and make sure the dog is ok with the crate. And then just leave for short periods - maybe peek through the window, and make sure the dog isn't panicing and hurting itself.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tracym
So if the OP tries this, she needs to introduce the dog to the crate very gradually, when she's home
So that's a job for the wife then???

We know why th dog is a little strung out. The wife's been working and I've been at home a lot since I arrived. Now I have a job so am out aswell which has unsettled her a bit more. We have been out for periods before at weekends etc but maybe not quite as long as now.

Thanks for the thoughts. I will add the caveat that I'm more concerned about the dog than the carpet. I was just wanting to explore what might happen when it comes to sorting the carpet out (we will leave this until we move out) We have already set up a session with a dog trainer to coach us some more.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 1:57 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

I guess it depends on how long you stay there. In my last flat in the UK I destroyed the kitchen floor putting a washing machine in. I didn't report it and just lived with it.
A year or so later I knackered the living room carpet when my office chair wheels, sort of snagged the carpet then when I hoovered it caught the snag and left a big patch bald. I lived with that too.

Then when I moved out I was thinking of fixing both but ran out of time and expected to kiss the deposit good bye. A month or so later I got a cheque for the full deposit amount mailed to me and an apology for it taking so long
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a tenant with dogs (not permitted!) who wrecked a patch of my (new) carpet - I was pissed, because it was brand new. You can just get a section fixed - I did have spare carpet to use though. You definitely should not be responsible for recarpeting the apartment, as you're only required to restore it to the condition it was in when you moved in (not better).

PS: I don't know if crating is an american thing like declawing cats, but it sounds horrific to me - some people leave their animal for 8-10 hrs in a crate while they're at work.. just seems so cruel. Don't get a dog if you need to leave them in a tiny box for hours every day.

Last edited by augigi; Feb 1st 2008 at 2:27 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by augigi
I've had a tenant with dogs (not permitted!) who wrecked a patch of my (new) carpet - I was pissed, because it was brand new. You can just get a section fixed - I did have spare carpet to use though. You definitely should not be responsible for recarpeting the apartment, as you're only required to restore it to the condition it was in when you moved in (not better).

PS: I don't know if crating is an american thing like declawing cats, but it sounds horrific to me - some people leave their animal for 8-10 hrs in a crate while they're at work.. just seems so cruel. Don't get a dog if you need to leave them in a tiny box for hours every day.
I can agree that having to leave your dog in a crate for 8-10 hrs a day while you're at work is somewhat unfair. My OH and I felt it was so unfair that we gave our last puppy to my aunt since she has a sizeable backyard (our work schedules changed for the worse). However, I definitely believe that crating at night is a good idea. You're at least at home and can hear if the dog goes crazy or something. We're thinking about doing the crate at night so our new pup can sleep in the same room with us, without worrying about her roaming around at night.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

ukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud ofukelaine has much to be proud of

Ditto on the Crate idea !

I totally don't believe in crating and that as well as declawing I'd never heard of until I came to the USA, both SUCK big time.

You've only just moved in, the dog has knackered that part of the carpet. First, are you expecting the landlord to check out the place any time soon ?
If not, get one of those heavier types of office mats and put that down, as long as you still have enough edgeways to open any doors.

Go to Office Depot or somewhere like that, buy one thats small enough for that area. Will cover up damage and also be heavy enough that the dog (depending on size of dog) won't be able to lift that up or wear it out any time soon

Like those heavy carpet mats you see in some Public Loo's, to catch drips from the Air Flow driers for your hands.

AS to dog, what breed ? Age ? Fixed ?

Is one of you close enough that you can pop home at lunchtime ?

Is it possible one or both of you can take the dog to work with you ?

Please don't crate, it doesn't sound like you will, or you would have done it by now

I've heard nearly every reason why people do it and don't agree with any of them Sorry

As to cost, Why worry about it now, you've only just moved in, by the time you move out there may be other things that maybe "Humans" have done by then

If you check any of the Pet Boards on AOL or Yahoo etc I'm sure you will find help with seperation anxiety in your dog without crating. Or check out the Dog Whisperer web page, I don't think he believes in crating dogs either, he may have some tips

Elaine
Old Feb 1st 2008, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

So that's a job for the wife then???
aaak sorry, it was early in the morning, I wasn't paying attention

I would never leave a dog 8-10 hours in a crate. But although it may sound horrific - it isn't (not for a reasonable period).

Dogs tend to be bored and sleep when you're away. Dogs naturally (from wolves) would sleep in a den. I have kept dogs in a crate when I wasn't home, when they were young. That prevents them from hurting themselves (like from eating carpet, breaking windows, etc.). They weren't crated once I was confident they (and the house) would come to no harm.

However - for a long time I left a crate in the house, with the door open. The dogs (even one who had never been crated) would fight over who got to go sleep in it - when they wanted a nap, that's where they wanted to go. This is very common. It becomes their own little special place, and they will choose to be in it, when they don't have to.

Some things sound "horrific" if you aren't used to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.