Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Homeland Security raid Maternity Hotel

Homeland Security raid Maternity Hotel

Old Jan 13th 2018, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homeland Security raid Maternity Hotel

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not sure I want to take the time, but would be interesting if someone with a mathematical bent would work out the consequences of this.
A bent for reasoning would be more appropriate in this case. The poster does not say that his friends are babymaking machines, nor that they reproduce every six months! For all we know they have two US born kids and will have no more.
The sooner people start to realise that they are being manipulated through their own lack of questioning the better. Remember that 'Assume' makes an ass of u and me!
Old Jan 14th 2018, 4:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zzrmark
A bent for reasoning would be more appropriate in this case. The poster does not say that his friends are babymaking machines, nor that they reproduce every six months! For all we know they have two US born kids and will have no more.
The sooner people start to realise that they are being manipulated through their own lack of questioning the better. Remember that 'Assume' makes an ass of u and me!
I have no idea what that means, why would any Country wish to provide such a benefit to foreign nationals?
Old Jan 14th 2018, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I have no idea what that means, why would any Country wish to provide such a benefit to foreign nationals?
I assumed you wanted someone with a mathematical bent to work out how many children a couple would have if reproducing every 6 months (which would have been referring to the post you yourself had quoted in your posting!!!).

As for why a country would allow other nationals to sprog up on it's own soil, let us consider a nation where making money is considered the ultimate of goals and where big business 'owns' politicians because of that goal. Very little in this country seems to happen unless someone can turn a buck on it...
Old Jan 16th 2018, 2:07 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

They are awaiting their 2nd.
Hopfully their last (The fathers comment)
Old Jan 17th 2018, 5:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The United States and Canada are the only two "developed" countries, as defined by the International Monetary Fund, that still have unrestricted birthright citizenship laws.
Bollocks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jus_soli

Well, bollocks to the IMF at any rate.

Last edited by Steve_; Jan 17th 2018 at 5:37 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 5:36 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Canada has made it increasingly difficult for people born in the US over the years, to date it hasn't really become apparent because the relevant people are too young but the Tories changed the law so you could only pass on citizenship to one generation, so if your child is born in the US and you were born in Canada, that child gets Canadian citizenship but your child can't do the same thing.

It started to cause various problems with people being born say in Algeria and ending up stateless so the Liberals rolled it back slightly so you can apply for PR status for the child provided they do it prior to being 21, but I'm sure people who were born in the US incidentally will forget to do it.

It wasn't that long ago that people were born in the US simply because the nearest hospital was there. Quite often people are shipped to the US to give birth because the neonatal ICU is at capacity for example, so they have no choice in it.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 5:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The IMF lists 39 countries as being 'advanced economies'. Of those 39 only two, the United States and Canada, have unrestricted jus soli citizenship laws.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 5:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The number who qualify per annum probably doesn't exceed 10,000 and it's perfectly legal.
It's all marketing though, if they knew about the tax consequences of it I doubt they'd be as keen, especially the Russians.

Anyway the 14th Amendment isn't going to be changed.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 5:49 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The IMF lists 39 countries as being 'advanced economies'. Of those 39 only two, the United States and Canada, have unrestricted jus soli citizenship laws.
Yes I edited my post before you posted but I disagree with the way that is characterized, I hear it quite often. It's basically an anti-immigrant argument because (a) the IMF definition isn't really relevant (because if they're doing it so the parents can immigrate, circumstances could be very different by the time the child grows up) and (b) "unrestricted" jus soli is a matter of opinion. It's not terribly hard to meet the French requirement for jus soli for example.

What makes it attractive to do it in the US is more to do with the fact that the child can sponsor in the parents, which is why it doesn't happen in Canada as often (although it does happen). That is the more unusual factor and that's a law they're talking about changing.

The Bill in Congress would make it into a non-immigrant category for the parents without work authorization, but personally I think it would make more sense for there to be a quota.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 5:56 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's all marketing though, if they knew about the tax consequences of it I doubt they'd be as keen, especially the Russians.

Anyway the 14th Amendment isn't going to be changed.
Yes I edited my post before you posted but I disagree with the way that is characterized, I hear it quite often. It's basically an anti-immigrant argument because (a) the IMF definition isn't really relevant (because if they're doing it so the parents can immigrate, circumstances could be very different by the time the child grows up) and (b) "unrestricted" jus soli is a matter of opinion. It's not terribly hard to meet the French requirement for jus soli for example.

What makes it attractive to do it in the US is more to do with the fact that the child can sponsor in the parents, which is why it doesn't happen in Canada as often (although it does happen). That is the more unusual factor and that's a law they're talking about changing.

The Bill in Congress would make it into a non-immigrant category for the parents without work authorization, but personally I think it would make more sense for there to be a quota.
It's a statement of fact. You may not like it or the way it is used as a political tool but it doesn't change it from being accurate or not. The IMF, unsurprisingly, isn't making an argument for or against unrestricted jus soli citizenship and neither am I.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 6:07 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

It's not a statement of fact, by definition it's a statement of two opinions.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 6:11 pm

It's not a statement of fact, by definition it's a statement of two opinions.
Which IMF advanced economy, other than the United States and Canada, has unrestricted jus soli citizenship then?
Old Jan 17th 2018, 6:30 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Chile and Argentina.

It's a contrived question that accepts two opinions at face value.

It's like saying which football player that Sports Illustrated says is the best has broken the law the most times? The answer doesn't in any way inform you of anything. You might be able to answer it but their opinion is subjective and "breaking the law" is somewhat subjective.

Are Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay etc. for example undeveloped? Chile ranks ahead of Portugal, and Argentina ranks ahead of Russia.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 7:00 pm

Chile and Argentina.

It's a contrived question that accepts two opinions at face value.

It's like saying which football player that Sports Illustrated says is the best has broken the law the most times? The answer doesn't in any way inform you of anything. You might be able to answer it but their opinion is subjective and "breaking the law" is somewhat subjective.

Are Argentina, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay etc. for example undeveloped? Chile ranks ahead of Portugal, and Argentina ranks ahead of Russia.
It's not contrived, it's qualified; if SanDiegogirl had said 'no developed country other than the US or Canada' then you could argue for Chile and Argentina but she didn't.
Old Jan 17th 2018, 9:17 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Contrived

adjective
1. obviously planned or forced; artificial; strained: a contrived story.

And that question meets that definition.

Like I said originally, bollocks to the IMF. Chile and Argentina are in the same ballpark as Portugal and I don't think too many people would argue that Portugal is not a developed country.

The reason this "birther" tourism is happening is because of perception caused by marketing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.