Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Mar 14th 2018, 1:13 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
.... I'll have a go at most things but not plumbing and electricity. ....
But they're the fun bits! ..... I draw the line at gas connections.
I'm replacing all the bits.
I hope that you're not contemplating replacing the actual valve inside the wall - that is going to be very tricky, and as the valve is usually solid brass, with some copper piping, it will last for decades - usually you'd just need to replace the shiny bits outside the wall.
Old Mar 14th 2018, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

I am not sure why your handyman is contemplating drilling into the tile.
I had assumed PF meant the 'handyman' wot works at HD.

He could mean that you are stuck with that kind of tap setup rather than traditional European style mixer taps?
Old Mar 14th 2018, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

M'eh, this thread popping up reminds me warmer weather is around the corner, and therefore a load of garden work to be done soon. Great. Also got to fix up the garage too.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
M'eh, this thread popping up reminds me warmer weather is around the corner, and therefore a load of garden work to be done soon. Great. Also got to fix up the garage too.

Conversely, some of us have been beavering away tidying up for the last couple of months, making the most of the cooler weather before the stifling humidity kicks in again.

I currently have a three day old fire burning oak leaves and pollen, two weeks ago I managed to keep it going for five days burning more of the same. Florida appears to get 'fall' in February!
Old Mar 15th 2018, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Conversely, some of us have been beavering away tidying up for the last couple of months, making the most of the cooler weather before the stifling humidity kicks in again.

I currently have a three day old fire burning oak leaves and pollen, two weeks ago I managed to keep it going for five days burning more of the same. Florida appears to get 'fall' in February!
Yeah, warm spring before the hot summer (90s at least) kicks in is my only chance to do the garden, I have to get it done between the weird winters (in the 10s) and the hot summers!
Old Mar 15th 2018, 11:25 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

My handyman is one that comes to the house. He's great and just saved me $$ on this. I went along to HD and saw so many of the shower set ups and all of them with the brushed nickel at way over $140. Including shower heads that I don't need since I bought a really good shower head anyway. My handyman informed me that my set up is Moen and advised me to go to the "faucet repair" aisle in HD. You won't be surprised to hear that it is nowhere near the actual sets of faucets. I bought the brushed nickel handle/spout/shower holder for $60. Less than half the price of a complete set.

I'm also re-doing the landscaping in my garden. Changing out the lawn turf for one designed specially for my area ( habiturf) which will require only 2x month watering during the hot summer. And planting based upon my landscape architect friend's ( France based) advice and utilising the local nursery and their expertise. Also capping off some irrigation heads and switching over to drip feed in others. After 3 summers in my house, I now know what will live without a load of water (learned the hard way!) and will be planting more of the same. Between the subsidies/rebates and savings in my water bill, I reckon it will all pay for itself by the end of this summer.....
Old Mar 15th 2018, 11:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
My handyman is one that comes to the house. He's great and just saved me $$ on this. I went along to HD and saw so many of the shower set ups and all of them with the brushed nickel at way over $140. Including shower heads that I don't need since I bought a really good shower head anyway. My handyman informed me that my set up is Moen and advised me to go to the "faucet repair" aisle in HD. You won't be surprised to hear that it is nowhere near the actual sets of faucets. I bought the brushed nickel handle/spout/shower holder for $60. Less than half the price of a complete set. .....
That would be because the "complete set" comes with the chunk of brass that is embedded in the wall, which you don't need.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 1:32 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Making a fence dog proof. All fencing is new, cedar boards forming a solid fence on two sides, the other two sides it is good neighbor fencing. Dog has started to burrow under the bottom of the fence.

Thought about digging a furrow about a foot deep and putting chicken wire in the furrow and up the fence. Other suggestions to solve the problem gratefully received.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lansbury
Making a fence dog proof. All fencing is new, cedar boards forming a solid fence on two sides, the other two sides it is good neighbor fencing. Dog has started to burrow under the bottom of the fence.

Thought about digging a furrow about a foot deep and putting chicken wire in the furrow and up the fence. Other suggestions to solve the problem gratefully received.
A shorter chain for the dog? 😁
Old Mar 16th 2018, 3:56 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help for right now, but every fall we bank all the fallen leaves up against the bottom of our chain link fence, so that it forms a barrier as they break down. When branches fall, they also get placed as a barrier. We get wood chips to bank up further, which are available free from the town recycling center. Of course, if you're not in the woods, this is probably all moot!
Old Mar 16th 2018, 4:11 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Probably better to have something laid on (in?) the ground horizontally (90deg to the fence) rather than just extending the fence downward. I would think that would be more effective as a deterrent to digging under. Go out maybe 18-24 inches or so.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 4:17 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Can't help for right now, but every fall we bank all the fallen leaves up against the bottom of our chain link fence, so that it forms a barrier as they break down. When branches fall, they also get placed as a barrier. We get wood chips to bank up further, which are available free from the town recycling center. Of course, if you're not in the woods, this is probably all moot!
Originally Posted by Nutek
Probably better to have something laid on (in?) the ground horizontally (90deg to the fence) rather than just extending the fence downward. I would think that would be more effective as a deterrent to digging under. Go out maybe 18-24 inches or so.
Thanks you both have a similar idea. I'll have to see what is available locally to use.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing some work on our basement at the moment, essentially just creating a partition to make it into two rooms. Local code states that pressure treated wood is required, not a problem - got home a short while ago to find Home Depot have instead delivered 30 2x4's of regular timber. Can't wait to deal with the customer service on that one
Old Mar 16th 2018, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BenK91
I'm doing some work on our basement at the moment, essentially just creating a partition to make it into two rooms. Local code states that pressure treated wood is required, not a problem - got home a short while ago to find Home Depot have instead delivered 30 2x4's of regular timber. Can't wait to deal with the customer service on that one
I've always found our local HD customer service really good when it comes to correcting mistakes on orders etc! Hopefully you get it sorted ASAP.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
I've always found our local HD customer service really good when it comes to correcting mistakes on orders etc! Hopefully you get it sorted ASAP.
The HD down in Boulder has fantastic customer service, but they wanted a little more to deliver as they're about 12 miles away whereas my local HD is less than 2 miles away. I just spoke to one guy on the phone who seemed nice enough and said he'd get his manager to contact me to get it sorted!

If they can resolve it by the end of the day or early morning tomorrow I'll be happy as I can still crack on with it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.