Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Best fat for Yorkshire Puddings

Best fat for Yorkshire Puddings

Old Feb 1st 2014, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best fat for Yorkshire Puddings

My wife is from CT but lived in the UK for a good while and loved Yorkshire Puddings.
She had a fair amount of success but never felt she had quite perfected them.
Recently we had a duck at Thanksgiving and she used the fat from that and they were great. Over Christmas we had beef and the fat from the beef was not as good.
We had duck again the other day and they rose to perfection both individual and the large ones.
She kept the mix in the fridge to keep it cool right up to the point they went into the oven.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best fat for Yorkshire Puddings

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
My wife is from CT but lived in the UK for a good while and loved Yorkshire Puddings.
She had a fair amount of success but never felt she had quite perfected them.
Recently we had a duck at Thanksgiving and she used the fat from that and they were great. Over Christmas we had beef and the fat from the beef was not as good.
We had duck again the other day and they rose to perfection both individual and the large ones.
She kept the mix in the fridge to keep it cool right up to the point they went into the oven.
I just use regular Lard and they always come out perfect

Lx
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 2:29 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

The funny thing about it is that when cooked under the beef roasting on the spit, it didn't rise, but it did have some of the gravy to make it taste like the beef.

I haven't seen lard or duck fat in the supermarket, and it looks expensive on line.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 2:36 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Lard we get by the bucketful in our Mexican super market chain. Duck fat I've seen a lot near thanksgiving and in Wholefoods pretty much all the time.

I use regular cooking oil. Mr Weeze uses lard he collects off our roasting joints and stores in the fridge.

Ours are always perfect. I think it's more the temp of the fat than the fat itself.

Edit: oh, and I'd never chill the mix. I just let it rest a while before it goes in the very hot fat.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

if you cannot get fresh lard (without preservatives/hydrogenated like that stuff on the room temp shelf) you can make your own really easily. Get pig fat from the butcher, mince it and slowly cook it down over a couple of hours until you are left with tiny browning remains of the fat cells/tissue, by the time its almost stopped bubbling you have got rid of most of the water, pass through a fine sieve and put in fridge. 3lb of fat makes about 2 lb of lard.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 12:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Mum always used dripping made from beef/pork/bacon fat to grease the Yorkshire pudding tins. She also put the batter in a 4 pudding tray...the puds were about 5" wide...much nicer than the smaller ones. Don't know whether it was the dripping...or the size but they were delicious. She sometimes added grated onion and sage...they were especially good.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Foolproof but devastatingly easy Yorkie recipe: take mug. Fill with eggs (I find 5 works for Yorkie for a family of 4, all good eaters; I use a British size tea mug). Tip in blender. Fill same cup with milk. Tip in blender. Fill cup with flour. Tip in blender. Add a pinch of salt. Blend.

Put any old fat in a pan (at least, any that's designed to take a high temp, like veg or peanut, not olive), and put in the oven at a 'take your eyebrows off' temp of at least 450. When it's smoking hot, pour in mix. Cook until done (depends on size; I use two round tins of about 9" and it takes about 20 mins. Eat. Field compliments.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 1:36 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

The oil has to be smoking hot, and the batter needs to be room temp... if it's cold they don't rise well.

Vegetable oil, or bacon fat are what are normally hanging around my house. so that's what I use.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 1:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
The oil has to be smoking hot, and the batter needs to be room temp... if it's cold they don't rise well.

Vegetable oil, or bacon fat are what are normally hanging around my house. so that's what I use.
Veg oil...or any other type of oil...gag. . The fat has to be "Blue" as my old mum used to say...before adding the batter and don't even think of opening the oven door until they are fully cooked.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 12:26 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Veg oil...or any other type of oil...gag. . The fat has to be "Blue" as my old mum used to say...before adding the batter and don't even think of opening the oven door until they are fully cooked.
You would approve of my dripping pot
Old Mar 8th 2014, 1:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
Old Mar 8th 2014, 2:06 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Weeze
UK meat is so trimmed of fat these days it is nigh on impossible to make proper dripping Do I take it that US joints of meat still generate enough fat for dripping?
Old Mar 8th 2014, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

One can buy pork fat here in Italy. It's sold finely sliced in polystyrene packages alongside the prosciutto and salame and costs the same-crazy. There are some little dark bits on it that could be herbs or on the other hand maybe dead flies-i don't know.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
UK meat is so trimmed of fat these days it is nigh on impossible to make proper dripping Do I take it that US joints of meat still generate enough fat for dripping?
They take that fat and put it in Gregg's pasties and sausage rolls and any left overs go towards making their paper bags-hear me Nutek?
Old Mar 8th 2014, 8:09 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Roast rib of beef - I didn't have a problem getting a nice bit in Aberdeen up to 2010 either mind. Guess it depends where you are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.