Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Old Jun 27th 2016, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The £/$ fall to 1.33 in the wake of the referendum.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Everyone should read it, it is a great article.
He once regaled the German chancellor with a pre-dinner PowerPoint presentation

So we can blame MS and Powerpoint for Brexit
Old Jun 27th 2016, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

£ Down to $1.31 today.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Walk up exchange rate at Heathrow is £1=$1.129318
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:22 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Seeing at most people on BE are not going to travel to Heathrow to get the walk up rate, quite frankly I don't expect they give a toss what it is.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:25 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Seeing at most people on BE are not going to travel to Heathrow to get the walk up rate, quite frankly I don't expect they give a toss what it is.

I'll be there next month. If it's still that low I may have to change cash at the airport. Don't normally do that.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:27 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I'll be there next month. If it's still that low I may have to change cash at the airport. Don't normally do that.
If it's that low why would you use the walk up rate which is normally the worse possible option.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lansbury
Do you keep left over sterling? Do you change your pounds back to dollars when you get back to the US?
I know a few people that convert their left over foreign currency at the airport.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
That is the price for converting back to dollars.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:32 pm

Do you keep left over sterling? Do you change your pounds back to dollars when you get back to the US?
I know a few people that convert their left over foreign currency at the airport.
Yep I got about £30 left from my trip this month. I can assure you I have no intention of flying to Heathrow to change it to dollars by walking up to a currency exchange. I'll take it with me next time I fly to the UK, I certainly would waste money at an airport exchange. If I was that stupid I could save the airfare by driving to PDX and changing it there.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I know a few people that convert their left over foreign currency at the airport.
Maybe you should get some smarter friends?
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Maybe you should get some smarter friends?
There are limited options for changing the money you haven't spent. My other friends just buy Whisky to use up their spare cash.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Arguments that Heathrow is the worst place to change currency aside...

I don't see anything that Osborne has said (or anyone else for that matter) that will calm the markets any time soon. There may be a point where you'd be grateful to get 1.12.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

I don't see anything that Osborne has said (or anyone else for that matter) that will calm the markets any time soon. There may be a point where you'd be grateful to get 1.12.
Thats true, it may have been the case that they were paying over $1.32 last week at Heathrow. In that case it would have been wiser to change what you had than hanging onto it.

The markets have had a day or so to settle from the initial shock and things are not improving. How long will this shock last?
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles

Well Merkel and the EU seem hell bent on taking a difficult situation and making it as bad as they possibly can. If they have the best interests of their own countries at heart, never mind the whole of Europe and the global economy, they really need to put their pride aside and make things as smooth as possible. Refusing to discuss anything at this point is just idiotic. .... What are they expecting - allow the global economy to go into a tailspin for three months until Cameron steps down and someone triggers Article 50?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.