Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Far East and Asia / Thailand

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 9:47 pm   #1
KJGlen 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
KJGlen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of bills - Bangkok

Hi all,

I am moving to Bangkok in July. I am a teacher and will be working in an international school. I am currently looking at properties on Ramkamheng Road (which are very reasonable) but just wondering what the average bills are? How much do they cost?

Thanks in advance
KJGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 4:16 am   #2
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 221
Thairetired2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of bills - Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJGlen View Post
Hi all,

I am moving to Bangkok in July. I am a teacher and will be working in an international school. I am currently looking at properties on Ramkamheng Road (which are very reasonable) but just wondering what the average bills are? How much do they cost?

Thanks in advance
How long is a piece of string?
Size of your apartment? Use of aircon? How many occupants? WiFi included or separate, same with TV? These are items which make a difference to your extras. Or are you looking at a serviced apt.? Some include utilities, some don't. Electricity is very often charged by landlord at 7 THB/unit. Landlord only pays 2 THB/unit from what I remember. Ask before you sign a lease. Is your school close to Ramkhamhaeng? Consider travel cost and esp. travel time.
Be aware that your 2 months rent deposit may not be returned. Work this amount into your first year rent.
Thairetired2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 8:43 am   #3
KJGlen 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
KJGlen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of bills - Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
How long is a piece of string?
Size of your apartment? Use of aircon? How many occupants? WiFi included or separate, same with TV? These are items which make a difference to your extras. Or are you looking at a serviced apt.? Some include utilities, some don't. Electricity is very often charged by landlord at 7 THB/unit. Landlord only pays 2 THB/unit from what I remember. Ask before you sign a lease. Is your school close to Ramkhamhaeng? Consider travel cost and esp. travel time.
Be aware that your 2 months rent deposit may not be returned. Work this amount into your first year rent.
Thanks for the message and apologies for the lack of detail.

3 bedroom house
Just me as occupant
Wifi and TV seperate
Aircon probably in evening (I'll be at work during the dat).

School is on Ramkamhaeng road so that is why I will be moving there.

Just wondered a rough estimate of what people pay?

Thanks
KJGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th 2017, 3:22 am   #4
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 221
Thairetired2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of bills - Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJGlen View Post
Thanks for the message and apologies for the lack of detail.

3 bedroom house
Just me as occupant
Wifi and TV seperate
Aircon probably in evening (I'll be at work during the dat).

School is on Ramkamhaeng road so that is why I will be moving there.

Just wondered a rough estimate of what people pay?

Thanks
Can't help with rental fees in Ramkhamhaeng area as I live nr. centre city. Have you seen the house?
WiFi and TV (unless you want only Thai channels) will be approx. 2000 THB. Electricity cost in my newish 1 bed. apt. with aircon eve only running
was in hot season about 4000 THB. Water rates are low. My landlord charged billed rate not increased rate. You may need a maid for a house. Price depends on how often she comes.
Beware, older places very often have smelly drains. U-bends are not used here. Unless you have a reason to rent a house, why not get an apt.? Less headache to take care of it.
Thairetired2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th 2017, 7:25 pm   #5
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 538
teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of bills - Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
Unless you have a reason to rent a house, why not get an apt.? Less headache to take care of it.
Yes, if I was in the OP's shoes I would rent a smart newish one bedroom apartment on a high floor. A much better proposition.
teejaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th 2017, 1:33 am   #6
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 221
Thairetired2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of bills - Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejaydee View Post
Yes, if I was in the OP's shoes I would rent a smart newish one bedroom apartment on a high floor. A much better proposition.
To be honest, as a single person I would rent a serviced apt. No worries about looking after it, no staff problems, laundry, utilities etc. Gym and pool are part of the rent. Costs a bit more up front but adding up all additional to condo/house rental it is better value.
No worries about burglary either.
Thairetired2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:04 am   #7
Just Joined
 
taiwan_girl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 17
taiwan_girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of bills - Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
To be honest, as a single person I would rent a serviced apt. No worries about looking after it, no staff problems, laundry, utilities etc. Gym and pool are part of the rent. Costs a bit more up front but adding up all additional to condo/house rental it is better value.
No worries about burglary either.
+2 Agree with this. Although a higher initial cost, you can look into a "short term" rental at a service apartment (< six months) and that can allow you to see options for you - if a apartment will work, a house is better, etc. etc.
taiwan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th 2017, 11:10 pm   #8
KJGlen 
Just Joined
 
Joined: Apr 2017
Posts: 4
KJGlen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of bills - Bangkok

Thanks for the input. After your posts I've decided an apartment (probably 2 bedroom) will be the best.

When you say a higher initial cost? What do you mean? Isn't it just 2 months rent as deposit?

Thanks for all your help so far.
KJGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:15 am   #9
Just Joined
 
taiwan_girl's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Posts: 17
taiwan_girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of bills - Bangkok

What I meant is that a shorter rental will probably cost more than a long term, and a service apartment is more than an unfurnished. HOwever, the advantage of a service apartment is they will usually allow short rentals (for example, one month), and that will allow you to "check out" the area and decide where and what type of place you would like.
taiwan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th 2017, 4:00 am   #10
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 221
Thairetired2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of bills - Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJGlen View Post
Thanks for the input. After your posts I've decided an apartment (probably 2 bedroom) will be the best.

When you say a higher initial cost? What do you mean? Isn't it just 2 months rent as deposit?

Thanks for all your help so far.
Taiwangirl got matters a bit confused.
Apartments require only 2 months deposit. They are furnished, most come with TV, washing machine, microwave, cooker rarely have an oven. All depends how new and how upmarket the building is. Most have pool and gym. Sheets, towels, pots, pans will be your input. WiFi, TV package you organise. Deposit usually doesn't get returned. Most landlords find a reason not to. Min. lease these days is 1 year.
Then there are serviced apartments. These have a hotel like service. You just need your personal items. Your rent is higher but you provide nothing. Cleaning gets done, sheets, towels get changed, wifi, TV all provided. Of course gym/pool is there. Cost is much higher than non-serviced. Deposit gets returned when you leave. You can leave at any time. However, booking over several months you can negotiate rent.
I would take serviced apt. for 2 months to start. This will give you chance to see what is on offer for what price in which area. Otherwise you can easily get trapped in a 1 year lease in a place you don't like. There are 1000nds of flats available at all price ranges. Don't worry you will not need to camp out in a class room.
Thairetired2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th 2017, 11:54 pm   #11
Premium Member
 
nonthaburi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Buraydah , Saudi Arabia
Posts: 1,872
nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of bills - Bangkok

why would you say that deposits don't get returned?
nonthaburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st 2017, 1:48 am   #12
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 221
Thairetired2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of bills - Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonthaburi View Post
why would you say that deposits don't get returned?
Because this happens a lot. Often deposit gets held back for weeks until the farang left the country.
Thairetired2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th 2017, 3:08 pm   #13
Premium Member
 
nonthaburi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Buraydah , Saudi Arabia
Posts: 1,872
nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of bills - Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
Because this happens a lot. Often deposit gets held back for weeks until the farang left the country.
I would say that things like that happen to a very small minority. I never had any problems in twelve years, and I don't recall any friends having problems either.

Left five years ago though, so maybe things have changed. But I wouldn't say that Thai landlords are any more unscrupulous than in any other country.

I remember during the megaflood 2011, our landlord didn't ask for any rent for three months, and paid for all costs to fix the place after.
nonthaburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th 2017, 11:21 am   #14
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Posts: 221
Thairetired2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of bills - Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonthaburi View Post
I would say that things like that happen to a very small minority. I never had any problems in twelve years, and I don't recall any friends having problems either.

Left five years ago though, so maybe things have changed. But I wouldn't say that Thai landlords are any more unscrupulous than in any other country.

I remember during the megaflood 2011, our landlord didn't ask for any rent for three months, and paid for all costs to fix the place after.
No matter how small the minority but you may just be the one of this minority.
Better be aware as this does happen. It is one thing if the company arranges the lease, but another if you are without a corporate behind you.
Chok dee
Thairetired2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:19 pm   #15
Premium Member
 
nonthaburi's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Buraydah , Saudi Arabia
Posts: 1,872
nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of bills - Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thairetired2016 View Post
No matter how small the minority but you may just be the one of this minority.
Better be aware as this does happen. It is one thing if the company arranges the lease, but another if you are without a corporate behind you.
Chok dee
But previously you said that most deposits don't get returned.

I disagree, but anyway, unscrupulous landlords are the world over, in no greater numbers in Thailand than anywhere else IMO.
nonthaburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Far East and Asia / Thailand


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 6:35 am.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com