Cost of bills - Bangkok

Old Apr 2nd 2017, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

KJGlen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of bills - Bangkok

Hi all,

I am moving to Bangkok in July. I am a teacher and will be working in an international school. I am currently looking at properties on Ramkamheng Road (which are very reasonable) but just wondering what the average bills are? How much do they cost?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of bills - Bangkok

Originally Posted by KJGlen
Hi all,

I am moving to Bangkok in July. I am a teacher and will be working in an international school. I am currently looking at properties on Ramkamheng Road (which are very reasonable) but just wondering what the average bills are? How much do they cost?

Thanks in advance
How long is a piece of string?
Size of your apartment? Use of aircon? How many occupants? WiFi included or separate, same with TV? These are items which make a difference to your extras. Or are you looking at a serviced apt.? Some include utilities, some don't. Electricity is very often charged by landlord at 7 THB/unit. Landlord only pays 2 THB/unit from what I remember. Ask before you sign a lease. Is your school close to Ramkhamhaeng? Consider travel cost and esp. travel time.
Be aware that your 2 months rent deposit may not be returned. Work this amount into your first year rent.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
How long is a piece of string?
Size of your apartment? Use of aircon? How many occupants? WiFi included or separate, same with TV? These are items which make a difference to your extras. Or are you looking at a serviced apt.? Some include utilities, some don't. Electricity is very often charged by landlord at 7 THB/unit. Landlord only pays 2 THB/unit from what I remember. Ask before you sign a lease. Is your school close to Ramkhamhaeng? Consider travel cost and esp. travel time.
Be aware that your 2 months rent deposit may not be returned. Work this amount into your first year rent.
Thanks for the message and apologies for the lack of detail.

3 bedroom house
Just me as occupant
Wifi and TV seperate
Aircon probably in evening (I'll be at work during the dat).

School is on Ramkamhaeng road so that is why I will be moving there.

Just wondered a rough estimate of what people pay?

Thanks
Old Apr 4th 2017, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the message and apologies for the lack of detail.

3 bedroom house
Just me as occupant
Wifi and TV seperate
Aircon probably in evening (I'll be at work during the dat).

School is on Ramkamhaeng road so that is why I will be moving there.

Just wondered a rough estimate of what people pay?

Thanks
Can't help with rental fees in Ramkhamhaeng area as I live nr. centre city. Have you seen the house?
WiFi and TV (unless you want only Thai channels) will be approx. 2000 THB. Electricity cost in my newish 1 bed. apt. with aircon eve only running
was in hot season about 4000 THB. Water rates are low. My landlord charged billed rate not increased rate. You may need a maid for a house. Price depends on how often she comes.
Beware, older places very often have smelly drains. U-bends are not used here. Unless you have a reason to rent a house, why not get an apt.? Less headache to take care of it.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have a reason to rent a house, why not get an apt.? Less headache to take care of it.
Yes, if I was in the OP's shoes I would rent a smart newish one bedroom apartment on a high floor. A much better proposition.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by teejaydee
Yes, if I was in the OP's shoes I would rent a smart newish one bedroom apartment on a high floor. A much better proposition.
To be honest, as a single person I would rent a serviced apt. No worries about looking after it, no staff problems, laundry, utilities etc. Gym and pool are part of the rent. Costs a bit more up front but adding up all additional to condo/house rental it is better value.
No worries about burglary either.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:04 am
Just Joined

taiwan_girl is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest, as a single person I would rent a serviced apt. No worries about looking after it, no staff problems, laundry, utilities etc. Gym and pool are part of the rent. Costs a bit more up front but adding up all additional to condo/house rental it is better value.
No worries about burglary either.
+2 Agree with this. Although a higher initial cost, you can look into a "short term" rental at a service apartment (< six months) and that can allow you to see options for you - if a apartment will work, a house is better, etc. etc.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the input. After your posts I've decided an apartment (probably 2 bedroom) will be the best.

When you say a higher initial cost? What do you mean? Isn't it just 2 months rent as deposit?

Thanks for all your help so far.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 2:15 am
Just Joined

taiwan_girl is an unknown quantity at this point

What I meant is that a shorter rental will probably cost more than a long term, and a service apartment is more than an unfurnished. HOwever, the advantage of a service apartment is they will usually allow short rentals (for example, one month), and that will allow you to "check out" the area and decide where and what type of place you would like.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the input. After your posts I've decided an apartment (probably 2 bedroom) will be the best.

When you say a higher initial cost? What do you mean? Isn't it just 2 months rent as deposit?

Thanks for all your help so far.
Taiwangirl got matters a bit confused.
Apartments require only 2 months deposit. They are furnished, most come with TV, washing machine, microwave, cooker rarely have an oven. All depends how new and how upmarket the building is. Most have pool and gym. Sheets, towels, pots, pans will be your input. WiFi, TV package you organise. Deposit usually doesn't get returned. Most landlords find a reason not to. Min. lease these days is 1 year.
Then there are serviced apartments. These have a hotel like service. You just need your personal items. Your rent is higher but you provide nothing. Cleaning gets done, sheets, towels get changed, wifi, TV all provided. Of course gym/pool is there. Cost is much higher than non-serviced. Deposit gets returned when you leave. You can leave at any time. However, booking over several months you can negotiate rent.
I would take serviced apt. for 2 months to start. This will give you chance to see what is on offer for what price in which area. Otherwise you can easily get trapped in a 1 year lease in a place you don't like. There are 1000nds of flats available at all price ranges. Don't worry you will not need to camp out in a class room.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:54 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

why would you say that deposits don't get returned?
Old Apr 21st 2017, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
why would you say that deposits don't get returned?
Because this happens a lot. Often deposit gets held back for weeks until the farang left the country.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 2:08 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Because this happens a lot. Often deposit gets held back for weeks until the farang left the country.
I would say that things like that happen to a very small minority. I never had any problems in twelve years, and I don't recall any friends having problems either.

Left five years ago though, so maybe things have changed. But I wouldn't say that Thai landlords are any more unscrupulous than in any other country.

I remember during the megaflood 2011, our landlord didn't ask for any rent for three months, and paid for all costs to fix the place after.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I would say that things like that happen to a very small minority. I never had any problems in twelve years, and I don't recall any friends having problems either.

Left five years ago though, so maybe things have changed. But I wouldn't say that Thai landlords are any more unscrupulous than in any other country.

I remember during the megaflood 2011, our landlord didn't ask for any rent for three months, and paid for all costs to fix the place after.
No matter how small the minority but you may just be the one of this minority.
Better be aware as this does happen. It is one thing if the company arranges the lease, but another if you are without a corporate behind you.
Chok dee
Old May 3rd 2017, 2:19 pm

No matter how small the minority but you may just be the one of this minority.
Better be aware as this does happen. It is one thing if the company arranges the lease, but another if you are without a corporate behind you.
Chok dee
But previously you said that most deposits don't get returned.

I disagree, but anyway, unscrupulous landlords are the world over, in no greater numbers in Thailand than anywhere else IMO.