Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Primary Teaching in Australia

Primary Teaching in Australia

Old Dec 23rd 2012, 7:46 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Primary Teaching in Australia

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Sorry be be exact you no longer live in a place near Toowoomba as you've recently move to Brisbane.
But still no real experience or good old hot remote Australia living
No, that's not to say we wouldn't give it a whirl, but as the OH is ADF then we go where we're sent. Surely nobody is forcing you to live there?
Old Dec 24th 2012, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
No, that's not to say we wouldn't give it a whirl, but as the OH is ADF then we go where we're sent. Surely nobody is forcing you to live there?
I do recall contact from you a some time back, stating that you'd have not moved where we live
But that aside, issue still stands there can be big issues in where a Teacher is placed when going state sponsored.
You landed on your feet & good on ya. But I am very much aware of issues other Teaching families have had to endure & yes some of them have gone home, through no fault of their own, nor as they didn't make the best of it. Don't want to air others issues on a public forum, so won't.

Oh & we're not being forced to live anywhere, just to clear that up
Old Dec 24th 2012, 4:32 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

I do recall contact from you a some time back, stating that you'd have not moved where we live
But that aside, issue still stands there can be big issues in where a Teacher is placed when going state sponsored.
You landed on your feet & good on ya. But I am very much aware of issues other Teaching families have had to endure & yes some of them have gone home, through no fault of their own, nor as they didn't make the best of it. Don't want to air others issues on a public forum, so won't.

Do you know what, you've me all wrong actually, I LOVE Australia, and if we'd have been sent out WHOOP WHOOP I'd have gone there with open arms, I'd have embraced the challenge. Up until July, when our posting order came through, we were due to go to Darwin, and initially I was quite distraught, but soon got my head around the idea. So in conclusion, I'd have gone ANYWHERE if it'd meant I'd have got into this superb country, and I'd have endured anything just to be here. So I'm sorry if you've judged me otherwise. Yes we've been fortunate in where we've ended up, but it's not all a bed of roses, remember my OH is Defence, so can be away for months at a time, and not always in the safest of places. So there you go...
Old Dec 26th 2012, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Do you know what, you've me all wrong actually, I LOVE Australia, and if we'd have been sent out WHOOP WHOOP I'd have gone there with open arms, I'd have embraced the challenge. Up until July, when our posting order came through, we were due to go to Darwin, and initially I was quite distraught, but soon got my head around the idea. So in conclusion, I'd have gone ANYWHERE if it'd meant I'd have got into this superb country, and I'd have endured anything just to be here. So I'm sorry if you've judged me otherwise. Yes we've been fortunate in where we've ended up, but it's not all a bed of roses, remember my OH is Defence, so can be away for months at a time, and not always in the safest of places. So there you go...
Darwin is a walk in the park over remote WA. Place is lovely, though very humid. We tried to get work over that way, but accepted another job prior to them getting round to making contact. But might give it a go again at some point in the future, great place with all the mod cons. Katherine however is a completely different issue, would avoid.

I understand what you're saying, yet as stated we know people who've given it a go & it's not worked out for them. State Sponsored route can be a very harsh intro to life in a new country. Some will land on their feet others will be placed in a very remote place & will have to sink or swim & it can be very challenging. Teachers kids can become a very big target in a small town & what can happen to them isn't very pleasant.

But anyways, hope you enjoy your time is Brisvegas is a wonderful & colourful place, with so much to see & do
Old Mar 19th 2013, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

poppyandpeanut is an unknown quantity at this point

I have also known some families that have come out and not been able to hack it for a number of reasons. Its really sad when they go home, paricually when then havent managed to stick it out until the end of the spnsorship and then been granted a bit more freedom.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 8:43 am
Just Joined

assia13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lledlledlled
Hi all,
Similar to the OP, my wife qualified as a Primary School Teacher last year. She is currently doing her DIP/probation year in a school here in Ireland. We would also like to know about the availability of jobs, as we would like to emigrate to Australia next year.
I am an electrician so I will be faced with a year of below average wages before I can get my Aussie sparks license so we could really do with my wife working full-time. We've almost given up hope of living near one of the main cities for this first year anyway. Do you think we'll find work somewhere resembling civilisation?
We were told that she should qualify to teach Early Childhood Education as this is on the Skills Shortage List unlike Primary Teaching. She'd be happy to do that as long as it was some sort of teaching and not just nappy-changing. Maybe this is a route the OP could take too? Does anyone have any experience of Early Childhood Education in Australia?
Any advice really appreciated.
Hi, I was wondering if your wife had managed to find out about Early childhood Teaching. I'm a Primary school teacher and in my 8th year of teaching. I need to fulfill the Pre Primary school teacher assessment requirements which would mean further study as I did not study this during my PGCE. I have looked into a few courses but I'm really not keen on doing a Masters. I'm not sure what courses the assessing authorities will accept, if anyone has any advice please let me know. Thanks.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice

Originally Posted by assia13
Hi, I was wondering if your wife had managed to find out about Early childhood Teaching. I'm a Primary school teacher and in my 8th year of teaching. I need to fulfill the Pre Primary school teacher assessment requirements which would mean further study as I did not study this during my PGCE. I have looked into a few courses but I'm really not keen on doing a Masters. I'm not sure what courses the assessing authorities will accept, if anyone has any advice please let me know. Thanks.
Hi,
My wife was offered another year's full time work in the school she's in this year so for the moment we're staying put in the hope of her being offered a permanent job down the line. It will probably mean me working in the UK for a year or two and flying home to Ireland a couple of weekends each month which won't be easy but lots of people are in far worse situations so we'll manage.
Sorry I can't be of more help with what you'll need to teach in Australia. As far as I know, one of the requirements is having done a four year degree so if yours was three years, you'd have to do another one. There are also other boxes you'll have to tick which may or may not mean doing substantial (and expensive) courses in Australia but others might be able to tell you more about this.
You should send an email to the education authorities in the Australian states you intend teaching in. Explain your situation and ask what they require.
As far as availability of jobs goes, we found that Canada & New Zealand offered zero hope for Primary Teachers, Australia was better though and the Middle East had loads of jobs.
Best of luck.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppyandpeanut
I have also known some families that have come out and not been able to hack it for a number of reasons. Its really sad when they go home, paricually when then havent managed to stick it out until the end of the spnsorship and then been granted a bit more freedom.
Agree Poppyandpeanut... came across a few in the last few years who came out with Ed Dept and who have transferred to the Catholic Ed sector to continue their sponsorship visas and gain PR. Outback WA is not for everyone - some make it, some don't.
Old May 28th 2013, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

A few more collegues have gone the same route, in a couple of cases they felt they were bullyed out of their positions.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

Patronising or condescending, its a tough one to call.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 8:44 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

lol
Old Jun 9th 2013, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Dollop of both I reckon!
Old Jun 9th 2013, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

No just honest
Old Jun 10th 2013, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

No just honest

hmmm honesty, so often an excuse for just plain rude.
Old Jun 10th 2013, 5:07 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

hmmm honesty, so often an excuse for just plain rude.
tee hee love it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.