Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What to do when the Guardia have it in for you?

What to do when the Guardia have it in for you?

Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:45 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do when the Guardia have it in for you?

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
What is not clear is whether you have registered the DL with traffico or not. The link given above clearly states you have to register.
The other day I was stopped with a alcohol control. Also asked for my paperwork. The GC asked if my DL was a Spanish one. They seemed to accpt had the "offical ·stamp" of traffico.
When I say stamped all it is dated and noted with my Spanish address witha typewriter!
I believe under the reciprocal agreement, authorisation at traffico is no longer required. Problem is the policemen on the ground it seems are not always aware of the regulations.

I have been stopped three times and my UK photo licence has been accepted without problems
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:46 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Pity they didn't do more to you really, on the phone and driving? Tut Tut!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
I'm of the understanding that you have to change to a Spanish one if you are resident here (showing them your Padron wouldn't have helped you there!!!!)

Still, all that is irrelevant. If the Guardia say jump you simply answer 'How high'?
If you think you've been hard done by, good luck in getting your vindication!!!
Is there a limit on the level of fine or is it a case of - pick a number, any number?
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:49 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

It's a case of just say 'yes sir, three bags full, sir.'
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

It's a case of just say 'yes sir, three bags full, sir.'
Oh I know that. But if they want three grand and you only have two, what happens next?
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:56 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I believe under the reciprocal agreement, authorisation at traffico is no longer required. Problem is the policemen on the ground it seems are not always aware of the regulations.

I have been stopped three times and my UK photo licence has been accepted without problems
Is that so, sort of good news but maybe too late now.
The "stamp" runs out this year and so does the renewal date for the licence. So it is not valid in the country of issue.
I feel that it may be best to just obtain a full Spanish one to keep me covered.
The trouble is being of an older generation the UK DL there are some classes of vehicles which are not covered by the newer issues. So what will happen to them. Plus do I have to ahve adiffent medical to cover me for the different classes ie buses or lorries?
When I know I will report back.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:57 am
Banned

livit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nicelivit is just really nice

Everything you need to know is in the Traffico site.

http://www.dgt.es/portal/es/oficina_.../?tit=Permisos válidos para conducir en España.

Ignore DVLA they have no juristriction or interest outside the UK.

For the rules its best to seek advice from Traffico themselves in the region as they can vary in the way the law`s are implemented.

Good luck.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:57 am

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Montgomail - You only have to pay on the spot as a foreigner is you can't produce Spanish ID of some sort - in which case you have time to pay your fine, with a 30% discount if you pay I think within 15 days.

I have heard stories of foreigners without Spanish ID and without sufficient funds to pay on the spot being frogmarched off the motorway to the nearest town and taken to a cashpoint. Talk about highway robbery!!!!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:59 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

When I was stopped, all they took from me was log book and driving licence, just got fined for crossing a yellow line in the middle of the road. They checked insurance and SUMA on their computer, no problems with my UK DL.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Montgomail - You only have to pay on the spot as a foreigner is you can't produce Spanish ID of some sort - in which case you have time to pay your fine, with a 30% discount if you pay I think within 15 days.

I have heard stories of foreigners without Spanish ID and without sufficient funds to pay on the spot being frogmarched off the motorway to the nearest town and taken to a cashpoint. Talk about highway robbery!!!!
Well I'd be up the creek without a paddle, as I never carry any ID at all.

Maybe if I feigned a Welsh accent, they would treat me more favourably.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 9:05 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail

Oh jeez, don't get him started on that crap!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 9:06 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I was told to always carry your health SIP card, that gives NIE number as well as proving you are in the Spanish health service.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 9:06 am

As JDR said before, best bet is not to speak any Spanish. Unless you are in an area with a high density of foreigners eg CdS, the probability is the the Guradia won't speak English and will more often than not wave you on.

I can't get away with that as this being a small area, I know many of the agents around here. However, on the flipside, we get stopped much less because of it.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I was told to always carry your health SIP card, that gives NIE number as well as proving you are in the Spanish health service.
I don't have a SIP card - just an EHIC as I live in the UK, but visit Spain several times a year.

As JDR said before, best bet is not to speak any Spanish. Unless you are in an area with a high density of foreigners eg CdS, the probability is the the Guradia won't speak English and will more often than not wave you on.

I can't get away with that as this being a small area, I know many of the agents around here. However, on the flipside, we get stopped much less because of it.
There's every nationality you can think of in the Northern Costa Blanca but, from what I've seen and heard, the Guardia don't or won't speak English and, as you say, tend to wave you on.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 9:21 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livit
Everything you need to know is in the Traffico site.

http://www.dgt.es/portal/es/oficina_.../?tit=Permisos válidos para conducir en España.

Ignore DVLA they have no juristriction or interest outside the UK.

For the rules its best to seek advice from Traffico themselves in the region as they can vary in the way the law`s are implemented.

Good luck.
No of course they dont, but as I said there are international EU agreements in place and that does effect things

Bit like the international double taxation agreement, for instance.

All countries participate in it
An as I said, there is a letter from Traffico that exists confirming the licences are acceptable. I have a copy somewhere, although Ive never needed to use it, but I do remember a thread somewhere when someone did use it when challenged about their UK licence by Guardia, and they then accepted it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.