Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

What to do when the Guardia have it in for you?

What to do when the Guardia have it in for you?

Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of
Default What to do when the Guardia have it in for you?

Hi all,
Got stopped today for the dastardly crime of driving and talking on the phone. OK, I know it's illegal and wrong but long story short I hung up as soon as I saw them to no avail, I was fined €150.

They then took all my paperwork to their car and studied it for a good 20 mins. I've done the right thing over here, matriculation, ITV, insurance, residencia, padron the works, and I even carried out my interrogation in polite Spanish.
They came back with the charge of 'not having a Spanish licence' and fined me another €150.

I know that my licence was legit here, unless some law has changed recently I thought it wasn't compulsory to change it.

If anybody has been in a similar situation I welcome your advice.

From other people's reactions to this tale it looks like the Guardia don't like the cut of my jib.

Thanks,
Ste.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:08 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to do when the Guardia have it in for you?

Originally Posted by Splatt
Hi all,
Got stopped today for the dastardly crime of driving and talking on the phone. OK, I know it's illegal and wrong but long story short I hung up as soon as I saw them to no avail, I was fined €150.

They then took all my paperwork to their car and studied it for a good 20 mins. I've done the right thing over here, matriculation, ITV, insurance, residencia, padron the works, and I even carried out my interrogation in polite Spanish.
They came back with the charge of 'not having a Spanish licence' and fined me another €150.

I know that my licence was legit here, unless some law has changed recently I thought it wasn't compulsory to change it.

From other people's reactions to this tale it looks like the Guardia don't like the cut of my jib.

Thanks,
Ste.
You're UK photo licence is completely acceptable here in Spain, as long as it is backed up by the medical that is required also.
I think you have been incorrectly fined by the sounds of it and need to take the matter up with them
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:17 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

I'm of the understanding that you have to change to a Spanish one if you are resident here (showing them your Padron wouldn't have helped you there!!!!)

Still, all that is irrelevant. If the Guardia say jump you simply answer 'How high'?

If you think you've been hard done by, good luck in getting your vindication!!!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 12:42 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

http://www.licencetoday.com/legal.html

I do not condone the website but they outline the legal requirements to drive here.

Last edited by poshnbucks; Mar 27th 2009 at 12:48 am.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 4:16 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Sorry Mitzy you are not quite right.

Your UK licence may have expired and therefore not be valid, From memory, item 4b on the front of the card gives the expiry date.

There have been many threads on this - but I have to ask the question, why oh why do people not want to change their licemce? You may have escaped the fine they stopped you for if you have one. I have a Spanish licence and hire cars in England so what is the problem?

Davexf
Old Mar 27th 2009, 6:18 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

Your UK licence may have expired and therefore not be valid, From memory, item 4b on the front of the card gives the expiry date.

There have been many threads on this - but I have to ask the question, why oh why do people not want to change their licemce? You may have escaped the fine they stopped you for if you have one. I have a Spanish licence and hire cars in England so what is the problem?

Davexf

As discussed on other threads, one problem is simply that the UK licence covers the ability to drive vehicles that the equivalent Spanish one does not. So, if those vehicles are required, changing licence would also mean taking extra exams here in Spain!
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Splatt
Hi all,

Thanks,
Ste.
I think you will have to take it as a hard lesson learnt.
Next time, you do not speak Spanish and show only licence and passport. ;-) ;-)
Old Mar 27th 2009, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

If you are based in Spain and your UK driving licence shows a UK address, whenyou are not resident there, then the licence is invalid.

A driving licence must show your correct address.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:01 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
If you are based in Spain and your UK driving licence shows a UK address, whenyou are not resident there, then the licence is invalid.

That`s different to what the DVLA say, read the bottom of the free beer thread and it`s on the DVLA site.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Then it's incorrect.

People are fined every day in the UK for the same offence.

"It's a legal requirement to notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) when you change name and/or address. Failure to notify DVLA could result in a £1000 fine."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ce/DG_10021376

Pretty simple. It's always been the law. Driving licence is invalid if it shows an incorrect address.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to change my licence for a Spanish one but I am unable to do so as I am in the UK for most of the school holidays to care for my grandson and during that time I have to use my daughters car as they live in the country with no bus service. Unfortunately her insurance company will not insure me unless I have a UK licence.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:19 am

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
As discussed on other threads, one problem is simply that the UK licence covers the ability to drive vehicles that the equivalent Spanish one does not. So, if those vehicles are required, changing licence would also mean taking extra exams here in Spain!

Uhhhhh...no. No extra exam here mate.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by gill556
I would love to change my licence for a Spanish one but I am unable to do so as I am in the UK for most of the school holidays to care for my grandson and during that time I have to use my daughters car as they live in the country with no bus service. Unfortunately her insurance company will not insure me unless I have a UK licence.

I'm not saying that this is something you should do. But imagine this hypothetical situation....

You happen to lose your UK licence. You apply for a replacement one from DVLA. When that one arrives, lo and behold your lost licence just happens to turn up again. You are now in possession of two licences. With the old licence you nip down to trafico and hand that in to get exchange for a Spanish one. So you have a Spanish licence for Spain and you still retain your British licence for Britain.

Purely hypothetical of course.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:33 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

Davexf
I'm sorry, I'm not wrong.
I have checked, and also hold a letter from Traffico to the effect.

Firstly, your licence expires on the expiry date shown on the licence. It IS allowable for your licence to show the incorrect address, under reciprocal licence agreements between Spain and the UK.

What isn't so well known is that your UK photo licence needs renewing every 10 years, and for those of you without a UK address that may be a problem.

You will find this, as JDR mentioned, in the free beer thread.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 8:39 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

What is not clear is whether you have registered the DL with traffico or not. The link given above clearly states you have to register.
The other day I was stopped with a alcohol control. Also asked for my paperwork. The GC asked if my DL was a Spanish one. They seemed to accpt had the "offical ·stamp" of traffico.
When I say stamped all it is dated and noted with my Spanish address witha typewriter!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.