Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Voting rights in UK after 15 years

Voting rights in UK after 15 years

Old Jan 28th 2024, 7:54 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voting rights in UK after 15 years

Originally Posted by Mark604
So because I may not live in the UK I will not experience the outcome of how a Government, no matter who they are or their policies, will affect my property, family, bank, investments, money and pensions.
Ok, got it.
That puts my mind at rest.
I own property in Spain and have pensions and investments in the USA - in neither country can I vote, nor should I.

You don't live there anymore, you chose not to live there, why should you vote there?

You will also experience how the governments of the USA, China, Russia, Iran etc act but you can't vote their either.
Old Jan 28th 2024, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Because whichever Government there is in the UK will affect directly all that I mentioned in the previous post you've quoted, to state the bleedin' obvious. For me, that is reason enough to want to vote.
If you are happy with your situation then that's nice for you.
I have never been nor am still a citizen of the other countries so it's quite ridiculous what your logic is. Somewhat clutching at straws to try and make a point.

Last edited by Mark604; Jan 28th 2024 at 8:35 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2024, 6:56 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
You don't live there anymore, you chose not to live there, why should you vote there?
Because your government wants us to.
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Because your government wants us to.
In your own words “your” government…(mine) your government is Spanish and so it should be, why on earth would you want to vote for a foreign government just because they said you can?you have made your life in Spain be happy with that.
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 10:48 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
In your own words “your” government…(mine) your government is Spanish and so it should be, why on earth would you want to vote for a foreign government just because they said you can?you have made your life in Spain be happy with that.
"Your" government is linked to citizenship not residency. The vast majority of Brits who have residency in Spain have not taken citizenship therefore they remain attached to the system of the UK government.

Rosemary
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 1:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
"Your" government is linked to citizenship not residency. The vast majority of Brits who have residency in Spain have not taken citizenship therefore they remain attached to the system of the UK government.

Rosemary
Exactly Rosemary it's about citizenship and choices no one is forced to accept the right to vote.
Old Feb 2nd 2024, 5:11 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Portugal actually, and yes I'm very happy

They do seem pretty keen for me to devote the necessary few minutes to registering and voting, though - look : Overseas Voter Registration Coordinator

Seems a bit churlish to refuse.
Old Feb 6th 2024, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary

Rosemary
The “your “ was meant as ….you live in Spain and are governed by Spanish law, I on the other hand live in the UK and are governed by British Law as I have said I have an Australian passport but I would never vote on matters that would effect people actually living in that country when it does/would not directly effect me that would be to my mind morally not right.
Old Feb 6th 2024, 11:28 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

The “your “ was meant as ….you live in Spain and are governed by Spanish law, I on the other hand live in the UK and are governed by British Law as I have said I have an Australian passport but I would never vote on matters that would effect people actually living in that country when it does/would not directly effect me that would be to my mind morally not right.
Why do you think UK government policy and laws don't affect British citizens as soon as they move abroad?
Old Feb 6th 2024, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

"Why do you think UK government policy and laws don't affect British citizens as soon as they live abroad?"
We're coming back full circle to my comments way earlier. That was never answered and probably deemed irrelevant. The principle of not voting unless you live in the country seems to trump any other consideration.
Old Feb 6th 2024, 2:09 pm
Polished expat

[...]I have an Australian passport but I would never vote on matters that would effect people actually living in that country when it does/would not directly effect me that would be to my mind morally not right.
But Australian electoral law only allows votes to Australians abroad if they intend to return to Oz within 6 years. Otherwise, non-residents should be removed from the electoral roll.

What would be morally not right in that scenario would be to wangle a vote in the full knowledge that you weren't entitled to one.

There's nothing morally wrong in UK citizens participating in elections when their government passes a law decreeing it, and the party in power wishes to thrust the opportunity in the faces of all whom they think might vote for them. Except perhaps on the part of that party, in which case it it incumbent upon the rest of us to show them the error of their ways.

As well as the fact that UK law does directly affect those of us who live abroad, as already pointed out numerous times.
Old Feb 6th 2024, 9:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric

As well as the fact that UK law does directly affect those of us who live abroad, as already pointed out numerous times.
Maybe countries could extend their "reciprocal arrangements" to voting.

It's true that some UK law affects me in Canada - what I can do with my passport is a significant one....or, more accurately, what I now cannot do with it.
But Canada's laws affect me far more and I cannot vote, even though I'm a permanent resident and have lived here for approaching 20 years, unless I apply for Citizenship, which is fairly costly and, voting aside, doesn't give me anything I don't already have.

Now it's even more bizarre, regaining the right to vote in the UK but not here.

Perhaps I could swap my UK vote for a Canadian one
Old Feb 6th 2024, 11:31 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
[...]Perhaps I could swap my UK vote for a Canadian one
Hah bloody hah!

Here's a starter for ten which in itself is not in any way perfect..

#16 January 2024

Old Mar 26th 2024, 11:45 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

I applied to vote. I found impossible hurdle to overcome. The Local Authority wants me to prove that I lived at the address where I stated I once did. However that is 23 maybe 24 years ago. I do not have any of the documents they ask for.

A list of approved documents for UK Overseas Elector Application
Old Mar 26th 2024, 12:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
I applied to vote. I found impossible hurdle to overcome. The Local Authority wants me to prove that I lived at the address where I stated I once did. However that is 23 maybe 24 years ago. I do not have any of the documents they ask for.
I did this for 2016 having qualified under the 15 year rule that existed at the time (I left the UK 2004) and simply advised the office of my address 12 years earlier.
Proving it wasn't an issue, presumably because the office to which I was registering with already had my electoral registration details from 2004 as well as access to Council Tax records for that address in 2004.
Perhaps you weren't on the electoral register for the address and time you gave details for? Or it's a different process and maybe they don't have the easy access they had for me.

There must be a variety of organisations - banks, DWP, tax office - who have your previous addresses on file that you could ask for a printed record that backs what you're saying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.