Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Voting rights in UK after 15 years

Voting rights in UK after 15 years

Old Jan 16th 2024, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Voting rights in UK after 15 years

I always thought it was wrong that when the UK stands for democracy and often enters into armed conflict to impose and support it - UK citizens were denied the right to vote many of whom have huge financial interests in the UK including owning property, pension funds and other investments etc.

And given we do not have voting rights in national elections in Spain we were essentially deprived of a vote anywhere - so much for democracy!

Anyway as has been stated if living here means you are no longer interested in voting in the UK you can easily opt out.
Old Jan 16th 2024, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

One might reasonably question the true motives of those who object to expats voting.
Old Jan 16th 2024, 8:08 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Finknottle
One might reasonably question the true motives of those who object to expats voting.
Or those who've just enabled it.

It wasn't, after all, within our own capabilities to legislate for it. I assume those who did might well have either seen the moral justifcation for this provision, or (more likely, given who's in power right now) seen it as a benefit to their political party and its electoral prospects (having previously done the necessary research, of course).

Either way, it seems a bit perverse to frown on those who might wish to exercise that right.
Old Jan 19th 2024, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
So you pack up and migrate to a new country and want the right in the country you left? Thats a bit cake and eat it in my opinion...when you leave your leave your right to vote behind.
When the UK government finally does the moral thing and gives me an annual uprating to my currently frozen state pension then maybe I will not vote but until then I intend to do so. I paid more than 35 years worth of NI contributions for a full, uprated annually but according to them I live in the 'wrong' country even if it is in the Commonwealth.
Old Jan 21st 2024, 3:09 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
So you pack up and migrate to a new country and want the right in the country you left? Thats a bit cake and eat it in my opinion...when you leave your leave your right to vote behind.
Indeed - giving those with no real skin in the game the right to change for those who do.
Old Jan 21st 2024, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

If my "no real skin" involves property, family, bank, investments, money and pensions then I'd welcome the fact that I can vote.
Old Jan 22nd 2024, 7:22 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Tories hire coordinator to get expat supporters to vote in general election

The Conservative party has hired an overseas voter registration coordinator to mobilise thousands of supporters who live abroad to vote in target seats the party needs to win at the next general election to stay in office.

The job description from party headquarters, seen by the Guardian but no longer online, said the role would focus on boosting the turnout of Tory expat voters in crucial electoral contests.

It suggests the operation would coordinate UK-based proxy voters to increase Tory support in the so-called 80:20 contests. These are 80 seats, including many of those in the red wall, that the party needs to retain and 20 it wants to win.

[...]

An extra 2.2 million overseas voters who have lived abroad for more than 15 years regained the right to vote in UK elections last Tuesday, after a statutory instrument that was approved by parliament in late December almost unnoticed came into force.

The expansion means they will be able to register in the constituency of the last address at which they were resident if they are able to provide relevant documentation, or failing that, through local records or on the word of an eligible British resident.

They will then be able to vote by proxy, with one proxy voter able to vote on behalf of as many as four overseas voters.
Obviously it was allowed now because the Tories think it will help them, but expats have to vote by proxy?! Why do something properly when you can do it half-cocked?
Old Jan 22nd 2024, 7:28 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC

Obviously it was allowed now because the Tories think it will help them, but expats have to vote by proxy?! Why do something properly when you can do it half-cocked?
They can vote in person, by proxy or by post. Simply have to complete a few steps on the internet.

Rosemary
Old Jan 22nd 2024, 7:36 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I should have gone to the source this time instead of the press.

You have to be in the UK to vote in person though, you can't go to an embassy or consulate.
Old Jan 22nd 2024, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC

The Tories are putting some effort into it. I do hope one of their "co-ordinators" contacts me, I would relish the opportunity to tell them what I think of them.

Tories hire coordinator to get expat supporters to vote in general election | Conservatives | The Guardian
Old Jan 22nd 2024, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Finknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond reputeFinknottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
They can vote in person, by proxy or by post. Simply have to complete a few steps on the internet.

Rosemary
Post is a no no, I have never received ballot papers in time.
Old Jan 22nd 2024, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC

The systems of voting that will be open to us haven't changed in fact they are the same options open to me to vote when in the military and serving overseas. Vote by mail or by proxy it's same now for those within the 15 year limit. As for Tories pushing to get voters registered in hope of gaining votes, I'm not sure that's best idea for them given they created Brexit and how they went about dealing with it? Wasn't this originally a plan that came from Cameron around 2015 after the complaints re expats being badly affected by Brexit yet many not allowed vote in the referendum? I know it's been sort of bubbling away since but interesting he comes back into the government and it goes through, could be coincidence.
Old Jan 22nd 2024, 11:01 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Finknottle
Post is a no no, I have never received ballot papers in time.
I was able to vote by post for Brexit - all documents arrived and were sent back in plenty of time
Old Jan 22nd 2024, 11:09 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I was able to vote by post for Brexit - all documents arrived and were sent back in plenty of time
No difficulty for me either but maybe some authorities were more lax than ours.

Rosemary
Old Jan 22nd 2024, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I too have always received the voting papers in time to submit them. I have also always received an email and letter reminding me when I need to renew my application to vote around 3 months before registration runs out. It may well depend on region one is registered I'm registered with Northumberland and never had any issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.