Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Temporary move to Spain/Canaries. Please advise.

Temporary move to Spain/Canaries. Please advise.

Old Dec 23rd 2017, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Paradiselost is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary move to Spain/Canaries. Please advise.

Hi everyone,
I am really hoping that someone could provide me with some advice please.

I am a British citizen with a EU passport.

I have lived in the UK all my life. I am single.

I have suffered chronic illness this year and I am thinking of relocating to Spain on a temporary basis to recuperate (maybe 3-6 months?)

Unfortunately I don't have the income to relocate to Spain permanently and I am extremely unlikely to get a mortgage (plus I am not brave enough and I have responsibilities in the UK!)

The reason for the decision is to have an extended holiday, relax and recuperate, so I will not be lookkng to work in Spain, or to live there permanently.

I want to keep costs as low as possible as I will be using some of my savings to facilitate this. So ideally less than £500pm.

...a studio or small apartment would be ideal.

What is the cheapest and easiest way to go about this? I could do an extended holiday rental, but it's working out extremely expensive....plus how would I manage money (access to) utilities costs, healthcare and comminications whilst away?

Would a special, extended holiday insurance policy provide cover if i fell ill or had an accident?

Would I require any permits or anything and if I took out a 6 month let on a small, private apartment, what would be the terms etc?

Could i leave before the end of the 6 months tenancy if I needed to return to the UK?

I am learning Spanish and whilst I can manage the odd sentence; i am a long way from fluent so I would ideally want to be in a coastal area or an area with a good amount of tourists or expats.

Last but certainly not least, I am pretty unfamiliar with mainland Spain, I have been a few times to the tourist resorts on holiday, but I have not explored further.

I love the Canaries particularly Lanzarote, I have been to the island several times and I am very familiar with it.

Ideally my first choice would be Lanzarote.... but if it's not affordable or possible; do the same rules apply there as mainland Spain and other areas?

I am unsure as to what to do and what area or part of Spain to choose.

Any help or advice would be so appreciated.

Thank you
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

Paradiselost is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Temporary move to Spain/Canaries. Please advise.

I apologise, I forgot to add if there would be anything I'd need to be aware of once the Brexit agreement goes through?
Would this restrict current free movement throughout EU countries for British citizens?